F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Buying 335i later this year
Studio RSR

05-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
BadNewsMan
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535xi, 2002 BMW 325i

Buying 335i later this year

Hey Folks.

Currently have a 2002 BMW 325i I am planning on selling around August/September this year to buy a 2012 - 2014 BMW 335i. I will be adding few items to the car in order to increase HP. This is also my first stab at tuning and I've done some research. From what I've gathered I'll need to do the following:

1. Bigger Intercooler...properly go with 5in. 7in is too damn big.
2. Better charge pipes. Factory ones are plastic, anything is better
3. Intake. Probably do CTS. Saw a few folks say they didn't get a CEL.
4. Catted Downpipe. Probably do CG. Fabspeed seems to be in the same wheelhouse there but more $$. (Live in Georgia, gotta pass emissions)
5. JB4....From my understanding, I can run Stage-1 with the above and should only run Stage 2 if I get the Downpipe due to back pressure.

Once I get the car I plan on changing the plugs immediate but not sure if I should go with Stage-1 plugs or not. Looking for advice on this. I am most likely going to get the Delphi boots as well.

My overall goal here is to get between 60h - 90hp by adding these mods. This is going to be my daily driver which is technically 2 days a week when I actually drive into work. The nice thingi s I have about 15 - 20 miles of highway between work and home
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

The list looks good, but I'd say no to the JB4. Flash tuning is a better option. BM3 or MHD Stage 2 can get you to 400whp with the supporting mods you listed. You also have to decide if you want EWG or PWG. You'd be looking at a 2014 for EWG and older would be PWG. PWG does not make as much power because the turbo and downpipe are smaller.

Welcome!
      05-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
BadNewsMan
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
The list looks good, but I'd say no to the JB4. Flash tuning is a better option. BM3 or MHD Stage 2 can get you to 400whp with the supporting mods you listed.

Welcome!
Thanks!

I'll look into doing a Flash. Didn't really look into doing that. Any caveats to doing a flash when I have to do inspection?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
The list looks good, but I'd say no to the JB4. Flash tuning is a better option. BM3 or MHD Stage 2 can get you to 400whp with the supporting mods you listed.

Welcome!
Thanks!

I'll look into doing a Flash. Didn't really look into doing that. Any caveats to doing a flash when I have to do inspection?
Not that I know of. I guess for emission reasons, catless is out of the question for you. I edited my last post with information about the wastegate. Most people buy their car and don't know about the turbo difference, so make sure you get what you want.
      05-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Hey Folks.

Currently have a 2002 BMW 325i I am planning on selling around August/September this year to buy a 2012 - 2014 BMW 335i. I will be adding few items to the car in order to increase HP. This is also my first stab at tuning and I've done some research. From what I've gathered I'll need to do the following:

4. Catted Downpipe. Probably do CG. definitely seems to be in the same wheelhouse there but more $$. (Live in Georgia, gotta pass emissions)
5. JB4....From my understanding, I can run Stage-1 with the above and should only run Stage 2 if I get the Downpipe due to back pressure.

Once I get the car I plan on changing the plugs immediate but not sure if I should go with Stage-1 plugs or not. Looking for advice on this. I am most likely going to get the Delphi boots as well.

My overall goal here is to get between 60h - 90hp by adding these mods. This is going to be my daily driver which is technically 2 days a week when I actually drive into work. The nice thingi s I have about 15 - 20 miles of highway between work and home
Great list OP. I have a 2015 335i 6MT and I thought I'd chime in and give my own opinions. First off, I would try looking into getting your hands on a 2014+ model because the turbo is slightly larger and has an Electronic Wastegate (EWG) and holds boost a lot smoother throughout the gears.

1. I would recommend getting the 7inch intercooler over the 5 inch personally. You might not think you need it, but eventually if you choose to max out the turbo in the future, or even upgrade the turbo, the 5 inch MIGHT not offer enough cooling.
2. Definitely get a chargepipe, thats a MUST when tuning.
3. From what i've read on multiple forums, intakes are not necessary if you aren't making over 450whp, buit it wont hurt the car to install one although.
4. You CAN get the Catless DP route even if you have state inspection. I have my car registered in NC and I have a catless, but whenever I go in for my yearly inspection I use the VRSF DP Fix and it will put your car's computer in a "ready" state and will allow you to pass inspection without a problem. Catted DP's are also flawless too, but just be aware they tend to run a lot more expensive than Catless.
5. For tunes, I would 100% recommend either BM3 or MHD. Both offer Stage 1, 2, and E85 mix maps that will push your car to over 400whp if you'd like.

As for spark plugs, most people run the NGK 95706 plugs which are technically the N20 plugs. I run these in mine and they're gapped to .022 and they are perfect.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #6
BadNewsMan
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralF30 View Post
Quote:
Hey Folks.

4. Catted Downpipe. Probably do CG. definitely seems to be in the same wheelhouse there but more $$. (Live in Georgia, gotta pass emissions)

Great list OP. I have a 2015 335i 6MT and I thought I'd chime in and give my own opinions. First off, I would try looking into getting your hands on a 2014+ model because the turbo is slightly larger and has an Electronic Wastegate (EWG) and holds boost a lot smoother throughout the gears.

1. I would recommend getting the 7inch intercooler over the 5 inch personally. You might not think you need it, but eventually if you choose to max out the turbo in the future, or even upgrade the turbo, the 5 inch MIGHT not offer enough cooling.
2. Definitely get a chargepipe, thats a MUST when tuning.
3. From what i've read on multiple forums, intakes are not necessary if you aren't making over 450whp, buit it wont hurt the car to install one although.
4. You CAN get the Catless DP route even if you have state inspection. I have my car registered in NC and I have a catless, but whenever I go in for my yearly inspection I use the VRSF DP Fix and it will put your car's computer in a "ready" state and will allow you to pass inspection without a problem. Catted DP's are also flawless too, but just be aware they tend to run a lot more expensive than Catless.
5. For tunes, I would 100% recommend either BM3 or MHD. Both offer Stage 1, 2, and E85 mix maps that will push your car to over 400whp if you'd like.

As for spark plugs, most people run the NGK 95706 plugs which are technically the N20 plugs. I run these in mine and they're gapped to .022 and they are perfect.

Hope this helps
Thanks,

This is super helpful. Gives me perspective on on what I can do. I'll definitely look into the 2014 models for sure
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #7
SlumpLord3000
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i 2014 x Drive Luxury

Bmw 335i 2014-2015 has ewg which you want. Also get FTP pipes. And do Bootmod3 tuning. If you just randomly do highway pulls, 5" IC is fine, if you live where it's hot all the time 6", if you are tracking it, 7". Get catless DP, switch it out with OEM every 2 years for emissions.
Appreciate 0