BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Harman Kardon equalizer settings?

Just picked up my car (took delivery a week ago but was the PPF shop) yesterday and drove it today for the 1st time.

I am not a huge audiophile but I still like to listen to music at a good setting with some good punch and clear mid tones.

Can people post their equalizer settings that they use for their HK system?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

I posted mine a while ago here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ardon+settings

Pasting them below as well:

All - I've been messing with the Harman Kardon settings over the past month or so. The default settings are pretty crappy in my opinion, but I realize this stuff is subjective.

My beefs with the default settings:
- 2nd Row and Rear speakers are hard to get "involved"
- Front speaker bias
- 2nd Row and Rear speakers don't output high range at all
- Soundstage/voice is biased to the passenger side (sounds like vocals are coming from the passenger tweeter - maybe due to how each tweeter is aimed).
- No real punch all around.

After messing around with different settings, I found that using Logic 7 Surround with the max (furthest right) surround setting was the best way to get the rear speakers to "get in the game" - especially with regard to bringing out their higher end. But setting the Surround to max biased the speakers to the rear so I needed to use the fader to bring the overall sound back forward a little. To get the sound stage/vocals more centered, I nudged the balance over to the left.

EQ settings, I just messed with until it sounded good to me and had a little more punch. Below are all my settings. If others have settings they like, post them for others to try.

Logic Seven Surround: Enabled
Surround: +2 (all the way to the right)
Treble: +4
Bass: +3
Balance: Left 1
Fader: Left (F) 2
Equalizer:
100khz + 4
200khz + 2
500khz 0
1khz +1
2khz +2
5khz +4
10khz +5

I'd also recommend tuning your settings listening to:

a) A song you are very familiar with

or

b) A song known to have excellent production and range

I use "Rosanna" by Toto. Not my favorite band or song by a long shot but it's well produced and is an excellent track to make sure you are getting the entire range out of your system.

Another good artist to setup/test against is Steely Dan. Anything produced by them is exceptional recording quality (Hey Nineteen, Peg). Not a favorite band, but another good one to use when trying to dial in a sound system.
Appreciate 5
beermato101.50
mattsrs600.00
Mrmel5.00
M40i4me1037.00
Sirksael102.50
      05-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
I posted mine a while ago here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ardon+settings

Pasting them below as well:

All - I've been messing with the Harman Kardon settings over the past month or so. The default settings are pretty crappy in my opinion, but I realize this stuff is subjective.

My beefs with the default settings:
- 2nd Row and Rear speakers are hard to get "involved"
- Front speaker bias
- 2nd Row and Rear speakers don't output high range at all
- Soundstage/voice is biased to the passenger side (sounds like vocals are coming from the passenger tweeter - maybe due to how each tweeter is aimed).
- No real punch all around.

After messing around with different settings, I found that using Logic 7 Surround with the max (furthest right) surround setting was the best way to get the rear speakers to "get in the game" - especially with regard to bringing out their higher end. But setting the Surround to max biased the speakers to the rear so I needed to use the fader to bring the overall sound back forward a little. To get the sound stage/vocals more centered, I nudged the balance over to the left.

EQ settings, I just messed with until it sounded good to me and had a little more punch. Below are all my settings. If others have settings they like, post them for others to try.

Logic Seven Surround: Enabled
Surround: +2 (all the way to the right)
Treble: +4
Bass: +3
Balance: Left 1
Fader: Left (F) 2
Equalizer:
100khz + 4
200khz + 2
500khz 0
1khz +1
2khz +2
5khz +4
10khz +5

I'd also recommend tuning your settings listening to:

a) A song you are very familiar with

or

b) A song known to have excellent production and range

I use "Rosanna" by Toto. Not my favorite band or song by a long shot but it's well produced and is an excellent track to make sure you are getting the entire range out of your system.

Another good artist to setup/test against is Steely Dan. Anything produced by them is exceptional recording quality (Hey Nineteen, Peg). Not a favorite band, but another good one to use when trying to dial in a sound system.
Yes, this is what I was searching for earlier this week but the lousy search function on this forum made it impossible. I swear to god I knew I had seen this thread at some point prior to getting my car and then I couldn't find it.

Thanks for this.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Yes, this is what I was searching for earlier this week but the lousy search function on this forum made it impossible. I swear to god I knew I had seen this thread at some point prior to getting my car and then I couldn't find it.

Thanks for this.
Let us know what setting you find to work in your X5 - would be interesting to gather more thoughts on dialing in the HK system.

My original post was left behind in the general forum, when the moderators split the single forum into sub groups. So not easy to find.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
Mrmel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25, BMW X5 G05

Has anyone please tried to fine-tune the sound setting without switching Logic 7 on? To get the most faithful sound?
Appreciate 0