BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
sagosto
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi Q5

Space for 2 baby seats

I am looking to upgrade from an Audi Q5 to 2019 X5 50i due to size constraints. I've read a lot of threads where people are complaining about the 2nd row leg room. I am 6' 280lbs and spent a bit of time sitting back there and it feels adequate -- I wouldn't say spacious -- but I am a big man. I've read a lot of conflicting things where people 6' and taller said they have plenty of room and other say it is cramped. For now, I would only have 2 baby seats but I don't want my daughter's legs slammed against the back of the seat like in the smaller Q5.

Does anyone have any experience with 2 car sets and can comment on the available space?

Lastly, what pads should be used to avoid damaging the Merino leather?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
Captain Gumbo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

My wife has a new Q5 and my mother in law has a Q5 of the same year as yours, and I can definitely see why you want more space.

I've just got one car seat in my X5, but I could definitely fit two if I had another. The only thing is, at 6'2", I'd have to move my seat up a bit to fit the second car seat if both were rear facing. Not a ton, and not enough where I'd have a huge issue.

I didn't put a pad down to protect the merino leather in my car, not sure if I should. I had it in my Escalade for 6 months and it didn't do anything to the leather in that, so not sure if I should do something about a pad or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
sagosto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gumbo View Post
My wife has a new Q5 and my mother in law has a Q5 of the same year as yours, and I can definitely see why you want more space.

I've just got one car seat in my X5, but I could definitely fit two if I had another. The only thing is, at 6'2", I'd have to move my seat up a bit to fit the second car seat if both were rear facing. Not a ton, and not enough where I'd have a huge issue.

I didn't put a pad down to protect the merino leather in my car, not sure if I should. I had it in my Escalade for 6 months and it didn't do anything to the leather in that, so not sure if I should do something about a pad or not.
Based on your experience / size and given my size, do you think I will have an issue with a baby seat behind me? My little one will be on the passenger size so it won't be a concern but the overall rear seat room is concerning. When I set the driver's seat to my comfort level, I got in the backseat and there appeared to be enough room but now that I think about it -- it wasn't as roomy as expected. However, I am 6' 280
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
Captain Gumbo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagosto View Post
Based on your experience / size and given my size, do you think I will have an issue with a baby seat behind me? My little one will be on the passenger size so it won't be a concern but the overall rear seat room is concerning. When I set the driver's seat to my comfort level, I got in the backseat and there appeared to be enough room but now that I think about it -- it wasn't as roomy as expected. However, I am 6' 280
I'm pretty close to you in size, 6'2" and 275 (my wife is making me do some crazy diet next month, so lets revisit that in July). I would think you could easily fit the second car seat, especially forward facing behind you. I've had my brother who is 6'4" and 290 in the front seat and that worked with a friend who is 6'2" behind him, so if that can fit lengthwise, a car seat has no issues whatsoever. Width wise, I see absolutely no issue either. You probably won't fit a person between them, but I doubt you would in almost any car.

I'm sure the car dealer will let you install the car seats to see if you're concerned, but it should be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
sagosto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gumbo View Post
I'm pretty close to you in size, 6'2" and 275 (my wife is making me do some crazy diet next month, so lets revisit that in July). I would think you could easily fit the second car seat, especially forward facing behind you. I've had my brother who is 6'4" and 290 in the front seat and that worked with a friend who is 6'2" behind him, so if that can fit lengthwise, a car seat has no issues whatsoever. Width wise, I see absolutely no issue either. You probably won't fit a person between them, but I doubt you would in almost any car.

I'm sure the car dealer will let you install the car seats to see if you're concerned, but it should be just fine.
This is my thoughts too so I am not sure why the conflicting 'rear leg room' bits that I am reading.

A local sales person said I could take the SUV for a few days but didn't say if I could install car seats. I'd have a much better idea If I could have real world experience but not sure what they are comfortable with given seats can cause some line creases in a new SUV.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #6
Captain Gumbo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagosto View Post
This is my thoughts too so I am not sure why the conflicting 'rear leg room' bits that I am reading.

A local sales person said I could take the SUV for a few days but didn't say if I could install car seats. I'd have a much better idea If I could have real world experience but not sure what they are comfortable with given seats can cause some line creases in a new SUV.
Just put them in unlatched to see space wise what you're dealing with if you're worried about creases.

If you can make it work, even uncomfortably in the Q5, then you'll be thrilled with the extra space. It's a much more comfortable car than the Q5. I think you'll be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi M-Sport

I’m 6 feet and have a base carrier and a toddler seat in the back. I had to put the toddler seat behind the driver seat, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to get the baby carrier in/out And with the toddler seat behind the driver seat, my kid is easily able to reach the back of the driver seat with his feet. Really surprised by the lack of room in the back seat. For such a big SUV, where is all the room?!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep

I have two child seats in my G05 - a baby carrier for my new born and a toddler seat for my 2.5 year old. I use the BMW seat covers and there is still enough space for an Adult to sit between them.

I am 6'2" and the baby seat is behind me, it completely fills the space between the 2nd row and the rear of the Driver's seat, but it works.

Link for seat cover: https://www.bmw.ca/content/bmw/marke...ector-mat.html

Last edited by russelldav; 05-23-2019 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 12:44 AM   #9
Soxypoo
Rep
Drives: 19 X5 4.0 grey

Or be Short like me(5”6) then there plenty of room for 2 baby car seats lol just pick up my car today and install 2 Diono convertible car seats for my 5 and 3 , there are plenty of room for an adult in the middle and leg room is not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 08:39 AM   #10
PBMX5
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I'm about 6 feet tall, and we could barely fit the Diono Radian 3RXT in the car. Granted it's also probably one of the larger seat options, especially in the rearward position we use it in right now. Most family hauling duties will be handled with our Odyssey.

Also a little disappointing that the X5 doesn't have the center position LATCH like the Q7 does.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 01:55 AM   #11
MegaMan!
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F08/M3, GO5 X40i, 750Li

I can talk about this at great length.. The G05 X5 is a bit tight considering the overall dimensions of the car! I am 6'7" tall and mostly leg (37 1/2" inseam) and finding a vehicle to be not too large for my 5' tall wife and something I also fit in and would enjoy to drive has been very very tough. We are expecting our second kid in September so I've been hunting.

In summary, I can fit in front of a Chico KeyFit newborn/baby car seat in its rear facing position behind the drivers seat if I move the seat forward a bit and angle the back to be a bit more upright.. It works for me, but I wouldn't want to take it on a long drive like that.. Interestingly, the same can not be said for the passenger seat! I can not fit in the passenger seat all all with the same car seat in the rear facing position! It is very odd! From what I can see, it looks like the dash actually angles out a bit more on the passenger side plus the foot well does not seem as deep (I have not looked at it closely.) It is really bothersome.. This latest version has more total leg room than the previous version at 39.8" in the front and 37.4" in the rear (77.2" total).

What will blow your mind is.... Just after figuring this all out, I went to the Honda dealer since I know Honda does a very good job optimizing space in their cars.. Guess what!... In a Honda CRV (same for Passport, Pilot) I can fit on both the passenger and the drivers side with the same car seat in the rear facing position without any issues! Glarghhh.. CRV front leg room is 41.3" and rear at 40.4" with a total of 81.7". This is over 4 inches of difference on a car that is so much smaller overall than the X5! Plus the CRV has more cargo room 39.2 cu. ft. vs 33.9 cu.ft.... it's surprising..

If your significant other doesn't mind really large cars and you have the funds... The X7 has more space in that the 2nd row seats can be moved back 2 more inches than the X5, but only if those 3rd row seats are folded away! If the 3rd row seats are up, same room as the X5.

As a side note, I have also just checked out the 2020 Mercedes GLE and I fit with no issues with the drivers seat where I like and the passenger seat (basically all the way back).. Total leg room is: 81.2" If it wasn't for the 8 month wait for a fully loaded GLE and the better offers on the X5, I probably would of gone for the GLE for this point alone (X5 drives better and better looking...) My X5 just came in , and to tell you the truth I'm still debating if I'm making the right decision.. X5 more fun car, but GLE more comfortable/roomy.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #12
PBMX5
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMan! View Post
I can talk about this at great length.. The G05 X5 is a bit tight considering the overall dimensions of the car! I am 6'7" tall and mostly leg (37 1/2" inseam) and finding a vehicle to be not too large for my 5' tall wife and something I also fit in and would enjoy to drive has been very very tough. We are expecting our second kid in September so I've been hunting.

In summary, I can fit in front of a Chico KeyFit newborn/baby car seat in its rear facing position behind the drivers seat if I move the seat forward a bit and angle the back to be a bit more upright.. It works for me, but I wouldn't want to take it on a long drive like that.. Interestingly, the same can not be said for the passenger seat! I can not fit in the passenger seat all all with the same car seat in the rear facing position! It is very odd! From what I can see, it looks like the dash actually angles out a bit more on the passenger side plus the foot well does not seem as deep (I have not looked at it closely.) It is really bothersome.. This latest version has more total leg room than the previous version at 39.8" in the front and 37.4" in the rear (77.2" total).

What will blow your mind is.... Just after figuring this all out, I went to the Honda dealer since I know Honda does a very good job optimizing space in their cars.. Guess what!... In a Honda CRV (same for Passport, Pilot) I can fit on both the passenger and the drivers side with the same car seat in the rear facing position without any issues! Glarghhh.. CRV front leg room is 41.3" and rear at 40.4" with a total of 81.7". This is over 4 inches of difference on a car that is so much smaller overall than the X5! Plus the CRV has more cargo room 39.2 cu. ft. vs 33.9 cu.ft.... it's surprising..

If your significant other doesn't mind really large cars and you have the funds... The X7 has more space in that the 2nd row seats can be moved back 2 more inches than the X5, but only if those 3rd row seats are folded away! If the 3rd row seats are up, same room as the X5.

As a side note, I have also just checked out the 2020 Mercedes GLE and I fit with no issues with the drivers seat where I like and the passenger seat (basically all the way back).. Total leg room is: 81.2" If it wasn't for the 8 month wait for a fully loaded GLE and the better offers on the X5, I probably would of gone for the GLE for this point alone (X5 drives better and better looking...) My X5 just came in , and to tell you the truth I'm still debating if I'm making the right decision.. X5 more fun car, but GLE more comfortable/roomy.
Yes the Japanese OEMs tend to be more efficient with space packaging, but front wheel drive platforms also tend to have more space for a given footprint of vehicle due to powertrain config. Lots of wheelbase up front to provide the engine space to be mounted North-South (longitudinally).

The GLE does seem to afford a bit more interior length than the X5, but I think they hang the engine a bit more forward than BMW does.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 12:05 AM   #13
explosive0
Private
Rep
Drives: 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMan! View Post

Curios how you're doing 1 year in. I'm 6'5" and about to get an X5, and worrying about the legroom.
Appreciate 0