F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Comfort > Sport > Sport+ And Shifter Actuation
GetBMWParts

05-23-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
MikkelPHL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M-Sport (ZF/LCI)

Comfort > Sport > Sport+ And Shifter Actuation

I've spoken with 10-15 BMW employees / genius's, searched through forums and YouTube videos and also the owner's manual and can never seem to get a clean explanation for the following:

*If there is a sticky or prior post somewhere I am missing please paste

Essentially a 4-part question

-What precisely occurs when Sport mode is activated (and when do I want it)
-What precisely occurs when Sport+ is activated (and when do I want it)
-What happens when you actuate the shifter to the left and leave it in "S" (no intention of paddle shifting) mode in both of the above settings
-Is there any merit to moving the shifter to over to "S" while in comfort mode?

I know it may be hard to believe but no one has given me fulsome explanations of each of the above 4 questions all in one response. It's pathetic. I had some windshield time earlier today, hit SOS and transferred to another Genius that put me on hold for 20 minutes straight just to find the answer to the fourth question until I caved and hung up

Can anyone comprehensively answer or provide a link that does.

*I have an F30 LCI with M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Putting it in S is like putting the transmission in sport plus regardless of mode. So sport plus in D and S is no different. For LCI sport plus puts everything in the most aggressive setting. The throttle response is more aggressive than sport and you have DSC. You can configure the drivetrain and chassis in sport. In the G20 they now have sport individual so you can configure things separately.

Yes putting it in S in comfort mode is comfort mode with sport plus transmission shifting.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Brett530
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F30 340i

There are multiple threads on this topic. Here is one with a helpful chart.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...dts+difference
      05-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett530 View Post
There are multiple threads on this topic. Here is one with a helpful chart.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...dts+difference
Yes, been flogged to death...

This chart posted by one of the forum members (DVC?) applies to many of our models.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
MikkelPHL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Yes, been flogged to death...

This chart posted by one of the forum members (DVC?) applies to many of our models.
I figured there were posts out there I just had trouble finding. Between that chart and the other post I’m good. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #6
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The primary things that change between modes: Steering effort, throttle sensitivity, stability control, traction control, and suspension damping (if equipped).

Assuming Comfort mode is the baseline:

Sport mode mainly increases steering weight, increases suspension damping, sharpens throttle sensitivity. This also turns of auto start-stop.

Sport+ does what Sport does but also mostly reduces stability control (I don't think it turns completely off like the car states) and enables what is called dynamic traction control. This basically allows you to slip your wheels a lot more although it won't let you go too crazy.

Eco Pro mode dulls throttle sensitivity and enables some efficiency monitors. It's good if you're trying to maximize efficiency. It also turns on auto start-stop.

There's also a hidden track mode (my unofficial term) which disables all nannies. If you hold the DSC button for about 5 seconds your car will disable DSC and traction control. It puts the throttle back into comfort mode which allows for greater modulation and keeps the steering wheel stiffer for better road feel (what little there is). I'm not sure what happens to the suspension since I don't have EDC. ABS is of course unaffected though.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #7
MikkelPHL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
The primary things that change between modes: Steering effort, throttle sensitivity, stability control, traction control, and suspension damping (if equipped).

Assuming Comfort mode is the baseline:

Sport mode mainly increases steering weight, increases suspension damping, sharpens throttle sensitivity. This also turns of auto start-stop.

Sport+ does what Sport does but also mostly reduces stability control (I don't think it turns completely off like the car states) and enables what is called dynamic traction control. This basically allows you to slip your wheels a lot more although it won't let you go too crazy.

Eco Pro mode dulls throttle sensitivity and enables some efficiency monitors. It's good if you're trying to maximize efficiency. It also turns on auto start-stop.

There's also a hidden track mode (my unofficial term) which disables all nannies. If you hold the DSC button for about 5 seconds your car will disable DSC and traction control. It puts the throttle back into comfort mode which allows for greater modulation and keeps the steering wheel stiffer for better road feel (what little there is). I'm not sure what happens to the suspension since I don't have EDC. ABS is of course unaffected though.
This is loosely what I've understood (and experienced) of the system over my past two BMWs. I think where many people misunderstand is when you incorporate Automatic to "S" to "M" into these different settings and how they affect the vehicle when used interchangeably.

Its also interesting to take notice of "when" I find myself changing the settings. When I'm in a more secluded area and I can really hear the car at low speeds, i actually activate Sport+ and S because I love the acoustics of the car at a low speed / exhaust feedback. Comfort also rolls out a nice linear acceleration experience because of how smooth the ZF shifts through.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:22 PM   #8
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Sorry, I don't think you actually searched lol.
      05-24-2019, 12:07 AM   #9
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkelPHL View Post
I figured there were posts out there I just had trouble finding. Between that chart and the other post I’m good. Thanks
Keep in mind that's pre LCI 335, so does not apply to 340 which is 2016 and later. I believe your car is LCI so it's a little different.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:14 AM   #10
MikkelPHL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post
Sorry, I don't think you actually searched lol.
I did— ironically though I’m glad you presumed this about me. If you read the threads associated with the topic you’ll see what many people admit- which is that this has been a beaten, fragmented conversation. The real question is why? I would think it’s a function of improper corporate sales training and marketing. Someone shared what appears to be a simple graphic, breaking this down in a simple way. That said this graphic isn’t in the owner’s manual, the Geniuses don’t have it down, and there haven’t been any official “releases” by the manufacturer that simply explain how a thing works to a new adopter.

Don’t misunderstand my criticism with my love of the product. The controversial nature and need to research is part of what keeps BMW interesting to me. That said, saying “I don’t think you actually searched” is a broad forum brush stroke. Best responses come in the form of contribution as opposed to accusation 👍
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 01:23 AM   #11
MikkelPHL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Keep in mind that's pre LCI 335, so does not apply to 340 which is 2016 and later. I believe your car is LCI so it's a little different.
Noted and yes would be interested to see a chart pursuant to LCI
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:46 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
This is loosely what I've understood (and experienced) of the system over my past two BMWs. I think where many people misunderstand is when you incorporate Automatic to "S" to "M" into these different settings and how they affect the vehicle when used interchangeably.
There definitely is misunderstanding on the subject, we even have users who sincerely believe their suspension changes through the modes, when they only have a passive suspension. Or adaptive changes in Sport+, when BMW state it doesn't. There is some 'placebo' in using these modes as well.

On the AT comment, I've always seen the Sport mode setting for the drivetrain as a 'mid-way' or 'half-way house' to full Sport mode. Shifter to M/S position gives the full sport transmission mode. Evident by driving in Sport mode (with drivetrain checked) and then shifter to M/S, gearbox typically drops a gear.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 02:55 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I did— ironically though I’m glad you presumed this about me. If you read the threads associated with the topic you’ll see what many people admit- which is that this has been a beaten, fragmented conversation. The real question is why? I would think it’s a function of improper corporate sales training and marketing. Someone shared what appears to be a simple graphic, breaking this down in a simple way. That said this graphic isn’t in the owner’s manual, the Geniuses don’t have it down, and there haven’t been any official “releases” by the manufacturer that simply explain how a thing works to a new adopter.
BMW are always short on the technical detail, although more information is available in the training documents.

Plus there are differences across the models with modes, and through the build periods. For example, if I switch off DSC (long press) in my car, (5-series) while in Sport mode, system defaults back to Normal mode, suspension as well.

Is even more complex in the G series models where there is an Adaptive mode, in addition to Comfort and Sport. Already discussions on how the combination and crossover works on the fly. Some users don't sense the difference to Comfort mode. Then that's a different discussion for the G20 models.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 05:10 AM   #14
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
There definitely is misunderstanding on the subject, we even have users who sincerely believe their suspension changes through the modes, when they only have a passive suspension. Or adaptive changes in Sport+, when BMW state it doesn't. There is some 'placebo' in using these modes as well.

On the AT comment, I've always seen the Sport mode setting for the drivetrain as a 'mid-way' or 'half-way house' to full Sport mode. Shifter to M/S position gives the full sport transmission mode. Evident by driving in Sport mode (with drivetrain checked) and then shifter to M/S, gearbox typically drops a gear.
I had the 330i G20 as a loaner and did notice they now have sport individual. There was no setting for suspension just engine, transmission, and steering and it definitely felt passive like it was tuned to be an ideal balance of handling and ride comfort. Just firm enough but not too firm. I believe the M2 is also passive. On my non adaptive suspension 340 I do notice a difference when changing from drivetrain only to drivetrain and chassis sport mode settings for suspension. Also sport plus is more than a track mode in newer cars. There's so many different combination of settings and different models behave different even across different MY it can be daunting to get your mind around it. Your best bet is to drive your own car and get to know how it behaves in each mode over time.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 06:25 AM   #15
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

Yes, there is merit to clicking the shifter to S while in Comfort mode. Shifts are sharper and delayed, so you get more revs and a more sprightly performance.

The same is true in EcoPro, believe it or not. Though to flick over to S kind of defeats the efficiency purpose, the car does move out more smartly. A little blue shifter icon appears on the instrument panel, showing the shifter tilted left, to remind you, I guess, that you are in the S mode.

If you flick the shifter to S in whatever mode, the transmission continues to shift automatically, but at delayed points. If you then shift manually up or down, the transmission goes into "M" and you must continue to shift manually, or click it back into D to start over.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 05-24-2019 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0