F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Trailer hitch delete
Extreme Powerhouse

05-31-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Trailer hitch delete

Hey everyone, I tried searching here and came up empty- I have a cpo 335i with a trailer hitch that I don't really need and would like to remove for cosmetic purposes. It's not listed on the order sheet from the vehicle, so perhaps the 1st owner put it on, but the cross beam with hitch receiver looks good, not like it was welded on afterwards. Looks to be pretty easy to unbolt the cross beam that it sticks out from, but I think the structure is diminished without that beam in place. No one at either dealership here in town has any clue where the hitch came from and says that beam can't be replaced. I don't really want to hack the hitch receiver off, because I (or a future buyer) might one day have a use for it. Has anyone seen this before? I even tried looking on real oem, but I'm a bit out of my league there.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
ndx6spd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i x

Can you post some pictures?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
Jvac
Captain
Rep

sorry, I have to do things in stages around here because my kids are quite needy at this age. 1st pic is the end of the crossbeam which looks to sit in between the bumper and the frame. It's just one bolt on either end but it's so thick it probably wouldn't be good to pull it out without sticking something else in there to fill the gap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

the hitch is welded on the beam, the welds looks professional too but is that beam even stock? I been under the car in the exhaust section and I don't recall seeing that beam, it looks like you don't have much choice, you have to take the beam off and cut the hitch off if the dealer says the beam is not replaceable. This must be custom made if even the dealer is clueless. I would go back to the dealer and look under other F series and see if this beam is there, if not, I'd just take it off and store it for next owner.
      06-01-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
JustMtnB44
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 328i xdrive wagon F31

Lol at your dealerships, how dumb are they? That looks like a Curt hitch or similar, which is simply sandwiched between the body and bumper bar. Remove bumper cover, unbolt hitch, reassemble.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leID=201538837

^ the install instructions are there so you can see what is involved.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series GT Stage 0.5

I have some experience putting trailer hitches on Honda Pilots.
Essentially screwing a big square beam to a uni-body vehicle, just like yours.

You're looking at the big beam running across the back of your car and you're thinking it must be necessary structure for the vehicle.

It isn't. It's just the structure of the trailer hitch carrier. It can all be removed.

podman
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
Jvac
Captain
Rep

Thank you to all who once again prove the immense value of this site. I'll add this to the long list of things the dealership said was impossible, unavailable, or just plain had no idea what I was even talking about. The SA's and parts clerks are clueless. The folks who really do the work or run the parts Dept know what they're doing, but you have to jump through hoops to talk to one of them. I don't live close to the dealer so I hate making a trip down their just to get a question answered. As an example, once I asked about a quote for the Mppk install. Guy had no idea it even existed. I had to show him the page on bmw website. Couple of weeks ago I set up an appointment with the service manager to get my LSD installed. When I brought the car in, the SA who checks me in says, why are you replacing the diff? Something wrong with it? I told him it was a performance upgrade, that the LSD was an improvement over stock because xyz... He looked at me like I was speaking Chinese. I realize the average bmw customer is not like most of us these days, but it's kind of sad how little these guys know about their products. I have worked in sales and service and it's embarrassing to see the lack of competence they display. Anyway, rant over. Thank you all for the quick solution which I was expecting. Good thing I never take the dealer's word without a second opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series GT Stage 0.5

There are three criteria to become an SA at a BMW service department.
1) Ability to fog a mirror.
2) Ability to pee in a cup (and pass).
3) Ability to run a computer monitor and printer.

Judging by the look of your hitch it is probably manufactured by Curt.
If you check out this website: www.etrailer.com
they have many videos showing how to install hitches.

The torque spec. on those big nuts is very high. You'll need an fairly large breaker bar to turn them.
Also, that thing is heavy. You want it supported when loosening it.
You may want to have a trailer hitch installer remove it for you.

podman

Last edited by Mr Podman; 06-01-2019 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #9
Jvac
Captain
Rep

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0