BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Brake pad frozen to rotor

06-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
twct
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Brake pad frozen to rotor

I washed my car last weekend and put it away (although I did drive it a few blocks before putting it in the garage) and tried to take it out today and one of the front brake pads was seriously frozen to the (steel) rotor. I've experienced this before but never this bad.

Anyway, it finally 'broke' free but literally broke something. Now the brake pedal is very soft and there's a significant clunking you can feel in the pedal (and hear of course!). I can't visually see anything wrong so I'm guessing the inner brake pad is hosed. Hopefully just a brake pad replacement but will have to have it flat bedded to the dealer.

Anyway, just a warning to anyone who only drives on weekends!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

I haven't experienced the level you are talking about...but after a wash if I put the car in the garage immediately, the rust will fuse the pad and rotors temporarily. I've just had to accelerate a little to break them loose. Always been fine after that.
      06-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
VeNoM__M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

I would recommend using a high pressure air blower when drying your car and especially blowing all the water out from your brakes. Do that right and you really don't need to drive it around right after a wash.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
momos750
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5, 2011 750Li

Use a rust-stopper after you get done washing, and like someone above said use a blower to get the majority of water out.

http://www.detailersdomain.net/2013/...rum-rustopper/
      06-12-2019, 03:41 AM   #5
twct
United Kingdom
Rep

Just by way of update, dealer (UK) wants to charge for brake pad and disc replacement (not covered under warranty as due to ‘external influence’, i.e., moisture). Kinda annoyed. Will have to take up with BMW UK.

So the reason the disc needs replacement is due to brake pad material deposited on rotor. Seems unusual.

Just had my running in service so hopefully can remove the brake pad material with some hard driving. The BMW dealer seem to think that won’t work (as it’s brake pad material vs brake pad material) but I’m going to try!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #6
stealth70mde
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by twct View Post
Just by way of update, dealer (UK) wants to charge for brake pad and disc replacement (not covered under warranty as due to ‘external influence’, i.e., moisture). Kinda annoyed. Will have to take up with BMW UK.

So the reason the disc needs replacement is due to brake pad material deposited on rotor. Seems unusual.

Just had my running in service so hopefully can remove the brake pad material with some hard driving. The BMW dealer seem to think that won’t work (as it’s brake pad material vs brake pad material) but I’m going to try!
It will take some time and you will feel a vibration for a bit but it will eventually wear off. I would do the break "bed-in" procedure a few time and it should be ok.

After 2 tracks days, there is a similar brake pad smear on the rotors and it gradually goes away. Because your "smear" is thick and located in one spot it might take longer.
      06-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #7
twct
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, that’s really helpful. I’m about to do a 600 mile road trip so hopefully can make some progress!
Appreciate 1