BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-10-2019, 01:07 PM   #1
klizza
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50

Remote 3D view not working with mirrors folded?

With mirrors folded, remote 3d view gives an error upon activating cameras, saying it is blocked by another function.

I guess it makes sense given the side view cameras are in the mirrors and apparently do not work if folded.

However, this seems like a little design issue, because if you have the useful fold-mirrors-on-locking feature enabled, remote 3d view could NEVER work.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Thats not right. My mirrors fold out to take the remote pic and then fold back in.
I do it all the time via my phone app. Its fun to watch the mirrors quietly fold out, take the pic and return to their folded position.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by klizza View Post
With mirrors folded, remote 3d view gives an error upon activating cameras, saying it is blocked by another function.

I guess it makes sense given the side view cameras are in the mirrors and apparently do not work if folded.

However, this seems like a little design issue, because if you have the useful fold-mirrors-on-locking feature enabled, remote 3d view could NEVER work.
But...the very nature of "remote" 3D would mean you have parked the car and as such the mirrors fold in and now you want to "remotely" view its surroundings. So, when people do this, possibly the downward looking cameras are not activated but the forward/reverse are...maybe? If you turn off the auto fold option and with the car parked then use the remote 3D view, what happens? Can you see via the downward looking mirror cams?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
But...the very nature of "remote" 3D would mean you have parked the car and as such the mirrors fold in and now you want to "remotely" view its surroundings. So, when people do this, possibly the downward looking cameras are not activated but the forward/reverse are...maybe? If you turn off the auto fold option and with the car parked then use the remote 3D view, what happens? Can you see via the downward looking mirror cams?
Mine fold when I park, and I get a completely unobscured view around my car. So as MystroX5 said, the mirrors will briefly unfold for the capture and then return to their folded position.

Good debug tip to turn off the folding option to see if that addresses the issue.
      06-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

It should work fine with the mirrors folded. When the command is issued the mirrors come out to take the pictures and then return to folded position when done. Do all of your other remote functions work? If you don't fold them automatically does it work? At first glance it sounds like an App issue and not anything with the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
klizza
United_States
Rep

Thanks, good to know they are supposed to unfold.

It did work whenever I did not fold the mirrors, but not when they were folded. In all cases I was away from the car and could not see what it was doing (e.g. try to unfold).

Maybe it’s something else, one of the keys/profiles not having remote view enabled in the car. I’ll check it out and will report back.

BTW, I couldn’t get remote start to work either. But only tried once so far. Most things are working fine. Software is at version 44. Only got the car on Friday. Coming from the F15, I really like it, it drives superb!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Make sure Data Privacy is checked under General Settings and remote start is checked under Climate settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #8
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by klizza View Post
Thanks, good to know they are supposed to unfold.

It did work whenever I did not fold the mirrors, but not when they were folded. In all cases I was away from the car and could not see what it was doing (e.g. try to unfold).

Maybe it’s something else, one of the keys/profiles not having remote view enabled in the car. I’ll check it out and will report back.

BTW, I couldn’t get remote start to work either. But only tried once so far. Most things are working fine. Software is at version 44. Only got the car on Friday. Coming from the F15, I really like it, it drives superb!
You may want to confirm that the mirrors are unfolding by watching it when you request an update to the 3D view. It would give you a little more context for a conversation with the dealer. But something is not working as it should since you're only getting half the data from your vehicle. Personally, I'd report it as an issue with the dealer and turn the triage work over to them.
      06-10-2019, 08:34 PM   #9
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
"blocked by another function" is part of the bad app/system design for Connected Drive remote functions. The system can only deal with one request at a time, and there are functions (like horn activation right now) that take a long time (or infinite time) to timeout and give up. Anything you try to do during that time will result in "blocked by another function". One workaround to speed the timeout up is to log out of the app and then log back in. Amateurs.
      06-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #10
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
You may want to confirm that the mirrors are unfolding by watching it when you request an update to the 3D view. It would give you a little more context for a conversation with the dealer. But something is not working as it should since you're only getting half the data from your vehicle. Personally, I'd report it as an issue with the dealer and turn the triage work over to them.
X2. This remote pic has always worked for me for the last 5 months. The mirrors folded in never was a factor and they always unfolded to take the pic. I suspect his mirrors are not unfolding and that would indicate a different problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 11:57 PM   #11
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Blocked by another function is an app issue. I have seen it multiple times when I remote light on, vehicle cool command from my app. These commands take little while in case of poor network coverage the session is stuck.

I have to close the app completely from my phone and some time log out and log back in to resolve it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #12
klizza
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the info! Today it worked with folded mirrors 😁. Must have been an app glitch, all settings were correct as far as I could see.

Didn’t have a chance to test remote start yet (it’s parked in a garage). Privacy settings all look good.
Appreciate 1
TurtleBoy13444.50