BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

08-10-2008, 12:06 AM   #1
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Jet Black. With a clear bra?

So we all know how hard to maintain Jet Black is. Dirty, swirls, water marks. It shows it all. But I wonder how bad the swirl problem would be with a clear bra since that would cover up the most swirl prone area, the hood. Clear bra on the front 1/3 of the car, would this help with keeping it clean looking at all? Hopefully someone that has experienced these conditions (Black non-metallic paint + clear bra) can post some thoughts.

I'd like to get some addition points of view and opinions over. I'm just not totally sold on Jerez in person.
      08-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #2
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Sayemthree?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 01:28 AM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

subscribed...been wanting to know what members think about this for JB as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

this is my second JB m3 and I love it - yeah it takes some extra time to detail but I dont mind.

I have clear bra on the entire front of the car and it barely shows. havent had any issues with swirl marks either.
      08-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Guys, as you know I just got my JB two days ago, and so far I am actually impressed by the fact that it does not get dirty too quickly and how easy it is to clean (may be thanks to a high quality waxed used by BMW when they detail the cars?).
Since I had been caught in a storm on Thursday night, there was a lot of sand on the car so I yesterday I quickly stopped at a self car wash. Within 30 minutes I had soaped, rinsed and dryed the car with micro fiber towels...and voila: the car was spotless!! Today again, it survived a whole day of puddles, showers, etc... along the Outer Banks. I will try to post pics again, but it looks like there are often too large to be uploaded (I need to find a way to reduce their size...any ideas?). As per the clear bra is concerned, I just think it is probably not worth the money, the hassle to put/remove and the visible line in the middle of the hood.

Just my 2 cents.
      08-11-2008, 12:19 AM   #6
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

i think he's talking about doing the entire hood - therefore there is no line.

08-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
TimB
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Coupe - 08 C300 4Matic

Mine was installed by the dealer, and I hate it. Only 3k miles and 4 months old. Its already peeling up around the sides, dirt trapped under corners. Bringing it back on my next dealer trip to see if they can fix it somehow.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTROIS View Post
Guys, as you know I just got my JB two days ago, and so far I am actually impressed by the fact that it does not get dirty too quickly and how easy it is to clean (may be thanks to a high quality waxed used by BMW when they detail the cars?).
Since I had been caught in a storm on Thursday night, there was a lot of sand on the car so I yesterday I quickly stopped at a self car wash. Within 30 minutes I had soaped, rinsed and dryed the car with micro fiber towels...and voila: the car was spotless!! Today again, it survived a whole day of puddles, showers, etc... along the Outer Banks. I will try to post pics again, but it looks like there are often too large to be uploaded (I need to find a way to reduce their size...any ideas?). As per the clear bra is concerned, I just think it is probably not worth the money, the hassle to put/remove and the visible line in the middle of the hood.

Just my 2 cents.
I don't think BMW puts wax on their cars. I think they leave it up to the dealer to do this. Most don't do such a great job; it would be better to go to a detailer that you trust. However, I've heard (can't verify though) that Germans use a softer clear coat over their paint so that it doesn't crack (is not as brittle I suppose) as easily when a rock hits it. Maybe this is why it seems not to get dirty too soon?

You can put the clear bra over all of the hood, then there will be no visible lines in the middle.
      08-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post

You're a brave man to own blk

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:

Wow thats awsome!!!!!

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

i love JB!!!!
      03-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
///Armin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

I used to own a JB E46, the front was completely damaged after 2 years of owning it, so many rock chips that under direct sunlight it just looked horrible. Problem with dark cars specially JB is that you can see minor chips on the clear coat very easily, therefore I say a clear coat is a MUST. Get it ASAP too, the more chips you already have the worst the bra will look. Also detail it completely and get rid of all swirls BEFORE you install the bra. You don't need to cover everything, just the front bumper and sides of the fender is enough, thats where most of the damage is.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
quackbury
Monkeyazz Duck
Rep
Drives: 540 M Sport; 330; 135

Oh man, did I read the title of this post wrong. I thought it was a poll, and I was all set to say I preferred "Beyonce in a peach camisole" to "jet black in a clear bra." But instead of X-rated pics, all I see is M3's in Saran Wrap.

Bummer.
2008 135i
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #14
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
i love JB!!!!
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
I have JB with clear bra for the entire hood. I gotta say it actually helps with the swirl prone problem on JB a lot... After I washed it, swirl marks will show up but after awhile they all just disappear! I guess it's because of the heat from the engine bay as well as the sun....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #16
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

i have jet black with a clear bra on the bumper only... (headlights and mirrors too)
but no hood and fender..

my reason being i have a good eye for paint, and a clear bra will make the paint look much more Orange-peel looking...

The front bumper already is a different material than the body and has a different look to it.

A covered hood and fender on the jet black "could" be very noticeably different from the door's back..

...just food for thought

+ i can still wax my hood along with the rest of the car... unlike if you covered it
      03-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #17
htp autoworks
Private
Rep
Drives: A fast one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawedge2 View Post
i have jet black with a clear bra on the bumper only... (headlights and mirrors too)
but no hood and fender..

my reason being i have a good eye for paint, and a clear bra will make the paint look much more Orange-peel looking...

The front bumper already is a different material than the body and has a different look to it.

A covered hood and fender on the jet black "could" be very noticeably different from the door's back..

...just food for thought

+ i can still wax my hood along with the rest of the car... unlike if you covered it
There is no reason why you cant wax the film. Use a good quality wax and you are fine. I use Zaino on mine and I have another polymer/polish I use that keeps it as slick as the paint.

There are films out there that do not have orange peel.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #18
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

yes you can and should wax the film - many people in broad daylight cant tell I have the film. yes under flourescent lights there is more orange peel but BMW is not non for glass smooth paint anyways. would rather have some peel that rock chips.
      04-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #19
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Quote:
yes you can and should wax the film - many people in broad daylight cant tell I have the film. yes under flourescent lights there is more orange peel but BMW is not non for glass smooth paint anyways. would rather have some peel that rock chips.
What brand of film did you go with? Venture Shield?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #20
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
this is my second JB m3 and I love it - yeah it takes some extra time to detail but I dont mind.

I have clear bra on the entire front of the car and it barely shows. havent had any issues with swirl marks either.
Sayemthree.....where did you get your clear bra put on down here? I'm waiting on my order of my Jet Black M3 and am in SoCal too? It sounds like a no brainer to add this if:

1) I can barely see it...even under the sun.
2) Can wash and wax it with no isssues (does this include using an orbital? or just by hand?)
3) Adds that much more protection...since I drive a lot.

Anyone give me an estimate on putting it on the front bumper, hood and fenders? Any other drawbacks besides the peeling after having it for a while? Appreciate the help. Thanks.

2009 E92 M3 6MT Jet Black
Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #21
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

i have to be one of the only people who is completely against clear bras... i just don't like how it distorts the reflections! makes it look like a cheap paint job...

you can get swirls in the clear bra just as easy as the paint, if not even easier... you just have to be careful and use the right equipment and right technique.

for me, i would ONLY ever get a clear bra on the bumper, since you can't really get too much of a reflection off it anyway... but then again im OCD about reflections
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #22
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawedge2 View Post
but no hood and fender..

...just food for thought

except you can wax the film, it's beneficial
Appreciate 0