BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Throttle Linearity Estimate

06-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #1
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Throttle Linearity Estimate

I like a linear gas pedal/throttle relationship for spirited mountain driving, which is my favorite thing to do... with a car.

When I press the gas pedal down 30% of its travel, I want to get 30% of available throttle plate movement, so I get 30% of available power at that engine RPM.

Same for 50% or 70%... linear pedal/throttle relationship. I don’t want or need exaggerated throttle ‘tip in’.

I ran my SS sedan 6MT in track mode, always, because I liked the stiffer magnetic ride handling, the relaxed stability control, and the LINEAR gas pedal/throttle settings.

With a linear throttle tip in, rather than non linear, it is easier to control wheel spin coming out of a corner. Easier to control a slide. This is good, and fun.

In my M2C, at Bremerhaven port right now, I understand that SPORT PLUS engine mode will give exaggerated throttle tip in... meaning, say, 30% gas pedal will give 50% throttle/power. So this means the remaining 70% gas pedal travel only gives the remaining 50% throttle/power. Non linear.

This design makes a car feel more powerful at part throttle, but some power control when approaching the handling limit is lost. I understand race car drivers can have finer control of the car with a linear gas pedal/throttle relationship.

So... my question is... will the SPORT engine mode give me linear throttle tip in, or close to it?

Just from reading this forum, I expect I’ll like the sport steering and sport engine settings.

Any thoughts on this subject are appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by natmad; 06-15-2019 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Spellliinng
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      06-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
So I can't comment with 100 certainty. But I believe with any turboed engine you're going to get a fair bit of "tip in" as boost pressure builds. This is exaggerated quite a bit in sport plus.

Granted, I'm going from an LCI with a single turbo N55 and not a twin turbo S55. I'd imagine the twin turbo setup in the M2c would be more linear than the original M2.

That being said, I don't think you'll come close to a linear feel from an NA setup.

Again, I'm not expert, so if I'm off base I'm sure someone will call me out
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      06-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Thanks detroitM2, I owned a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 and 2012 WRX, manuals of course.

The midrange turbo torque is one of the things I’m really looking forward to, in the M2C, especially from corner to corner in the mountains!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

I think you'll find Sport to be the setting to use. Comfort is just too non-linear the other way to me -- you get pedal travel without a lot of response and then the last 1/2 (?) is where you finally get a lot of response. I so rarely drive in that mode, I think that is what it's like.

On the huge skidpad at Michelin, I used Sport+ as I needed a lot of throttle modulation when drifting. Given it's not like a normally aspirated engine with individual throttle bodies like my M3, I've described driving the S55 as more like a meat cleaver vs a scalpel with the S65 in the M3. In Sport+ I could get enough response and modulation was decent - not overly sensitive.

On a side note, the M Active LSD was awesome on the pad. It's like it was always ready and knew what I wanted from it...
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      06-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

it doesn't work like that. modern cars are torque based so when you push the pedal you are asking torque to the engine. and the engine does what it takes to give it to you accordingly to the emission complaint strategy
Appreciate 0