BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    M Performance Exhaust

06-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
jw3571
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911

M Performance Exhaust

I'm debating adding the M Performance Exhaust to my build. I've only heard it in a few clips, it sounds like it's pretty loud and aggressive. Is it obnoxiously loud on the inside and outside? With the valves closed does it still sound really loud. If you are worried about this types of things should I just stick with the stock competition exhaust?

Also, what is the price for the MPE?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:42 PM   #2
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
what limey said...
      06-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
I'm debating adding the M Performance Exhaust to my build. I've only heard it in a few clips, it sounds like it's pretty loud and aggressive. Is it obnoxiously loud on the inside and outside? With the valves closed does it still sound really loud. If you are worried about this types of things should I just stick with the stock competition exhaust?

Also, what is the price for the MPE?
There are no valves on the M Performance exhaust, so technically it's always going to be open. Changing from Comfort to Sport+ will of course affect how loud it gets, but you still miss out on having valves to help out with the volume.
      06-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
what limey said...
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Love mine and I don't find it obnoxious at all. I daily drive mine and I'm usually in sport plus with the exhaust button off. This eliminates all the pops and crackles for when I have to drive up to a meeting. At the end of my day and on weekends the pops and crackles are back on and it makes me smile!!
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Ahhhh, Vic, your sense of humor is... flexible I think is fair .
Appreciate 1
boredM124.00
      06-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #7
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

I heard the exhaust yesterday at the dealership. The M5 came equipped with the exhaust and i asked if I could hear it. It is loud, with the exhaust button illuminated inside the vehicle the salesman pressed the accelerator and when he released the cracks and the pops were loud. Loud enough that other people looking at vehicles turned there heads that were approximately 100 feet away. The cracks sounded like a bull whip hitting the ground it was loud and sharp. My wife who was inside the dealership (approximately 300 feet from the M5) heard it and also said it attracted the attention of others inside.

I thought it was cool at first but I believe it would become annoying after awhile. It does get quieter when you press the exhaust button. Funny thing is a couple looking at an X5 asked me if something was wrong with the exhaust system.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2019, 09:42 PM   #8
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
I heard the exhaust yesterday at the dealership. The M5 came equipped with the exhaust and i asked if I could hear it. It is loud, with the exhaust button illuminated inside the vehicle the salesman pressed the accelerator and when he released the cracks and the pops were loud. Loud enough that other people looking at vehicles turned there heads that were approximately 100 feet away. The cracks sounded like a bull whip hitting the ground it was loud and sharp. My wife who was inside the dealership (approximately 300 feet from the M5) heard it and also said it attracted the attention of others inside.

I thought it was cool at first but I believe it would become annoying after awhile. It does get quieter when you press the exhaust button. Funny thing is a couple looking at an X5 asked me if something was wrong with the exhaust system.
Hehehe.

Everything you just said could happily be used to describe my car's exhaust sound. I think perhaps a side by side is the only way to tell.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #9
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

I had the M Sport, it was loud on the outside but the F90 is so well insulated that I personally wanted more of an aural response to my driving habits. Thus I went aftermarket. I have heard the M performance several times in person and it carries a great tone at lower rpms and at WOT much like the Remus I have. If you like louder than it might be the way to go over the M Sport plus it has tonal changes. We lined up an F90 with M Sport and an F90 with M Performance- the difference is defintely there. The pops are over the top at times but really can be controlled via the throttle too. The button of course can reduce all situations.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #10
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I had the M Sport, it was loud on the outside but the F90 is so well insulated that I personally wanted more of an aural response to my driving habits. Thus I went aftermarket. I have heard the M performance several times in person and it carries a great tone at lower rpms and at WOT much like the Remus I have. If you like louder than it might be the way to go over the M Sport plus it has tonal changes. We lined up an F90 with M Sport and an F90 with M Performance- the difference is defintely there. The pops are over the top at times but really can be controlled via the throttle too. The button of course can reduce all situations.
I assume the M-Sport is the formal name for the Comp's exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 12:42 PM   #11
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
I assume the M-Sport is the formal name for the Comp's exhaust?
Yes, one and the same. Since I have a First Edition, my car came OEM equipped with it (listed on the monroney). But only my car comes with it that is also a non CE car. Several members did upgrade to it last summer before the CE came out; its the center pipe and the only material change. The other change is in the electronics per the tech bulletin where the M Sport equipped cars from the factory get the "heightened" active sound in the cabin via the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #12
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, one and the same. Since I have a First Edition, my car came OEM equipped with it (listed on the monroney). But only my car comes with it that is also a non CE car. Several members did upgrade to it last summer before the CE came out; its the center pipe and the only material change. The other change is in the electronics per the tech bulletin where the M Sport equipped cars from the factory get the "heightened" active sound in the cabin via the speakers.
So the net net is your First Edition came spec'd with the Comp's exhaust, albeit without BMW cranking up the ASD, but you felt it needed a bit more. Do you think your E63S exhaust pushed you in that direction--let's face it, it's a bit more of everything?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #13
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So the net net is your First Edition came spec'd with the Comp's exhaust, albeit without BMW cranking up the ASD, but you felt it needed a bit more. Do you think your E63S exhaust pushed you in that direction--let's face it, it's a bit more of everything?
No, my car was equipped from the factory (monroney reference) so I got the active sound bump. But others without it did the hardware change without the ASD enhancement.

The E63S didnt help my situation but Im an exhaust guy (not just when I eat mexican food) along with 10 other AMG's in my past. Arguably the best AMG exhaust came from the 6.2 and the M156 motor (I still have the C63 BS) but the M177 in the E63S and M178 in my GTS are very strong noise wise- almost classic mopar in nature. All my cars that I have now are modded in some way or another from an exhaust perspective. I love the sound of the rpms as the car moves. I would actually rather have a slightly slower car with amazing sound vs a car that just rockets out of the gate like a vacuum cleaner (hence no Tesla). So because of this and to your your point, the F90 needed some love IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #14
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, my car was equipped from the factory (monroney reference) so I got the active sound bump. But others without it did the hardware change without the ASD enhancement.
I think you misunderstood me. I grocked the monroney reference (although us humans call it a 'window sticker') , I thought you were saying you didn't get the ASD tweaks... got it now.

Quote:
The E63S didnt help my situation but Im an exhaust guy (not just when I eat mexican food) along with 10 other AMG's in my past. Arguably the best AMG exhaust came from the 6.2 and the M156 motor (I still have the C63 BS) but the M177 in the E63S and M178 in my GTS are very strong noise wise- almost classic mopar in nature. All my cars that I have now are modded in some way or another from an exhaust perspective. I love the sound of the rpms as the car moves. I would actually rather have a slightly slower car with amazing sound vs a car that just rockets out of the gate like a vacuum cleaner (hence no Tesla). So because of this and to your your point, the F90 needed some love IMHO.
Ah, understood.

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #15
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me. I grocked the monroney reference (although us humans call it a 'window sticker') , I thought you were saying you didn't get the ASD tweaks... got it now.

Ah, understood.

Thx.
Ive been in the car biz all my life so Monroney is my lingo LOL.

So I had Richard out (the one I referred you to) and we took test drives with ASD off and on. Damn it I left it on for sheer interior noise advancement LOL.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:29 PM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ive been in the car biz all my life so Monroney is my lingo LOL.

So I had Richard out (the one I referred you to) and we took test drives with ASD off and on. Damn it I left it on for sheer interior noise advancement LOL.
Yeah, he pinged me to get it done. I'll PM you for thoughts since we're poisoning the thread I fear.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #17
jw3571
Private First Class
Rep

I'm planning on driving my car in the snow, i assume the carbon tips will hold up over time if they are exposed to snow and salt?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 06:33 PM   #18
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
I'm planning on driving my car in the snow, i assume the carbon tips will hold up over time if they are exposed to snow and salt?
Drove mine all last winter. No issues with the carbon tips at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #19
jw3571
Private First Class
Rep

Good to hear. I just need some confirmation that it sounds really good from the outside. I don't want it to sound like modded Subaru.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:17 PM   #20
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

The MPE sounds excellent. Deep growl, not obnoxious. They did this exhaust right.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2019, 10:10 PM   #21
jw3571
Private First Class
Rep

Sweet, I ended up speccing but am second guessing it a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #22
jw3571
Private First Class
Rep

If you keep it comfort will it attract that much attention? My neighborhood isn't a fan of loud cars.
Appreciate 1