BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Is M Performance Exhaust Too Loud

06-18-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
jw3571
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 911

Is M Performance Exhaust Too Loud

I'm debating speccing the M Performance Exhaust on my Competition. Is it too loud and obnoxious for daily driving duties? I want the the car to still be a luxurious cruiser but i like a nice sounding exhaust. I'd still want to be able to hear music and have conversations. Anybody have experience with the MPE?
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #2
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
I'm debating speccing the M Performance Exhaust on my Competition. Is it too loud and obnoxious for daily driving duties? I want the the car to still be a luxurious cruiser but i like a nice sounding exhaust. I'd still want to be able to hear music and have conversations. Anybody have experience with the MPE?
On the opposite side of the question, I can tell you that coming from a 2019 AMG E63S and a 2018 Audi RS7 P with Akra exhaust, I find the M5C's exhaust great as-is. I've mod'd a fair bit on the car and have replaced exhausts on previous F10 M5s but this one needs nothing.

PS: if you think it's helpful to post on more than one forum, pick one, post it there and link to that from the other forums.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:56 PM   #3
jw3571
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, that's helpful to know since a lot people seem to think the E63S sets the standard for stock exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:19 PM   #4
srttan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 Competition

Quote:
Thanks, that's helpful to know since a lot people seem to think the E63S sets the standard for stock exhausts.
I have 19 M5 Comp and a lot of the exhaust sound inside the car is coming from the artificial sound. I unplugged the module in the trunk and the car is rather quiet and every once in awhile I will hear the burbles during up and down shift in sport plus mode. Hardly any engine or exhaust notes in comfort & efficient modes.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:00 AM   #5
Night5
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

Quote:
I have it and don’t find it loud or obnoxious at all. If anything, I wish it were louder.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:34 AM   #6
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

As always, it's subjective... but this works for me:

Last edited by limeypride; 06-19-2019 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
soopa113.00
      06-19-2019, 12:36 AM   #7
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srttan View Post
I have 19 M5 Comp and a lot of the exhaust sound inside the car is coming from the artificial sound. I unplugged the module in the trunk and the car is rather quiet and every once in awhile I will hear the burbles during up and down shift in sport plus mode. Hardly any engine or exhaust notes in comfort & efficient modes.
Sunroof?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 05:02 AM   #8
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by srttan View Post
Hardly any engine or exhaust notes in comfort & efficient modes.
Baffles are closed in Efficient so that would make sense. I leave engine in Sport Plus, tranny in D2 and get a lot of burbles and pops on decel/gear braking. Seems to be the best setup I have found so far. You might try that. Also, seems to get basically same mileage as Efficient, a little over 17 mpg City.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:17 AM   #9
sweet_sheeba
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

In short - love MPE, nice balance between Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. In the morning, I need it to be quiet - turn off the exhaust button on startup and it's quite loud for about 30s (keep the garage closed) then quiet downs. Creep out of the neighborhood and put everything in sport plus and the beast comes alive - the pops and burbles are awesome. If I'm all clear for launch, put it in sport plus before cold start and it sounds incredible. That being said, the pops and crackles on overruns do seem slightly over dramatic - have a titanium exhaust on my Aston V12 Vantage S and it isn't nearly as dramatic working through the gears, a lot more linear. Both are fun, just different. Also, the MPE looks effing fantastic...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:52 AM   #10
soopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

I just installed a Remus cat. back and I think the key is which engine mode you use.

- Efficient (Quiet - almost no popping/rumbling)
- Sports (OEM like - little popping/manageable rumbling)
- Sports Plus (LOUD - All the popping/rumbling you can handle)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #11
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5, 2022 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_sheeba View Post
In short - love MPE, nice balance between Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. In the morning, I need it to be quiet - turn off the exhaust button on startup and it's quite loud for about 30s (keep the garage closed) then quiet downs. Creep out of the neighborhood and put everything in sport plus and the beast comes alive - the pops and burbles are awesome. If I'm all clear for launch, put it in sport plus before cold start and it sounds incredible. That being said, the pops and crackles on overruns do seem slightly over dramatic - have a titanium exhaust on my Aston V12 Vantage S and it isn't nearly as dramatic working through the gears, a lot more linear. Both are fun, just different. Also, the MPE looks effing fantastic...
Totally agree, as I love mine too. Just an additional comment, the dramatic pops and crackles on the overrun are nearly eliminated by pushing the exhaust button.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:18 PM   #12
jw3571
Private First Class
Rep

Great, thanks for the responses. I'm driving an M5 later today with the MPE.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #13
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great, thanks for the responses. I'm driving an M5 later today with the MPE.
For those of you that have the MPE already, I have a few questions:
1. did you add it yourselves either at factory build time or as a retrofit?
2. did you add it because you'd decided the car's factory exhaust sound was insufficient?
3. if you added it for #2, was that a Comp or standard model M5 that you felt was insufficient?

I'm asking because I don't see a need for more than the factory M5 Comp exhaust offers. Of course, that's an entirely subjective thing. My last car was an AMG E63S and, yes, its exhaust was certainly louder in some respects than my current M5 Comp but even so, I've no complaints. (And at $7000 + install, whoa.)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #14
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
2. did you add it because you'd decided the car's factory exhaust sound was insufficient?
3. if you added it for #2, was that a Comp or standard model M5 that you felt was insufficient?

I'm asking because I don't see a need for more than the factory M5 Comp exhaust offers. Of course, that's an entirely subjective thing. My last car was an AMG E63S and, yes, its exhaust was certainly louder in some respects than my current M5 Comp but even so, I've no complaints. (And at $7000 + install, whoa.)
To Add to this, I have the comp with the black tips, and it is plenty for me. - Personally I would rather spend 10K on some sexy rims, instead of making my car louder .
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #15
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

Quote:

1. Added at dealership 8 months after car purchase.

2. Yes, stock exhaust was too mellow, and I knew that just changing out the center resonator (the only difference for the M sport) would not suffice. Also, stock tips, whether chrome or black, look puny and cheap to me.

3. Standard M5.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:36 PM   #16
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Barber View Post
Quote:

2. Yes, stock exhaust was too mellow, and I knew that just changing out the center resonator (the only difference for the M sport) would not suffice. Also, stock tips, whether chrome or black, look puny and cheap to me.

3. Standard M5.
Did it meet your sound goals?

Do you happen to have a YouTube video of your car doing a drive-by like the one I posted? I'd love to even get a sense of it...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 07:13 PM   #17
Demon Barber
Captain
Rep

It definitely meets the sound goals. Aggressive but no drone, perfectly comfortable inside the car. I don't have a video of the car, but I could probably convince my girlfriend to help me out with that if I'm really nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 07:53 PM   #18
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It definitely meets the sound goals. Aggressive but no drone, perfectly comfortable inside the car. I don't have a video of the car, but I could probably convince my girlfriend to help me out with that if I'm really nice.
That would be great if you can. The slow drive-by works well to catch the 2nd gear rumbles as you let off the gas.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #19
jw3571
Private First Class
Rep

I drove the model yesterday that had the MPE. It sounds fantastic. I was really surprised that it's still pretty quiet on the inside. I can't see anyone thinking that it's obnoxious from the inside. It is ridiculously priced, but now that i've heard it i'm going to have it installed at the port.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #20
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Quote:
That would be great if you can. The slow drive-by works well to catch the 2nd gear rumbles as you let off the gas.

Here is quick video I made when I got mine.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #21
sweet_sheeba
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:

3. Standard M5.
Ditto on all 3 points
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #22
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever34 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Here is quick video I made when I got mine.

Yeah, sounds a bit meh...

I'm kidding; that sounds phenomenal!
Appreciate 0