BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-23-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
ImperialBlue
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Did you ever decline a custom order?

I have a huge regret for not ordering laser lights. It was a mistake on my side. My car is in production begins status and can't be changed.
with out the laser lights the DLRs really looks really off.
Did you guys ever decline a order? What will be the consequences?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialBlue View Post
I have a huge regret for not ordering laser lights. It was a mistake on my side. My car is in production begins status and can't be changed.
with out the laser lights the DLRs really looks really off.
Did you guys ever decline a order? What will be the consequences?
Haven't declined an order over the 18 years I've ordered BMWs. Though there are options that I regret not ordering like upgraded wheel set, M Sport on my 17' X5, or DHP but don't dwell on it since I lease. Also I've developed a 18 relationship with my dealer, they probably wouldn't have an issue with me refusing because I order vehicles that they can turn quickly but I prefer not to sour a good thing over something I clearly oopsed.

I would decline if a vehicle was damaged or didn't arrived as ordered.

If you made a deposit, you should have known if it was refundable or not refundable prior to ordering - this also varies by state law.

If you ordered from a dealer that you don't have a prior relationship with, then just refuse. You might be hesitant to work with you in the future.

If it was me, I'd chalk it up to "should've" If you got a good deal, accept it and plan better next time.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
ImperialBlue
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Haven't declined an order over the 18 years I've ordered BMWs. Though there are options that I regret not ordering like upgraded wheel set, M Sport on my 17' X5, or DHP but don't dwell on it since I lease. Also I've developed a 18 relationship with my dealer, they probably wouldn't have an issue with me refusing because I order vehicles that they can turn quickly but I prefer not to sour a good thing over something I clearly oopsed.

I would decline if a vehicle was damaged or didn't arrived as ordered.

If you made a deposit, you should have known if it was refundable or not refundable prior to ordering - this also varies by state law.

If you ordered from a dealer that you don't have a prior relationship with, then just refuse. You might be hesitant to work with you in the future.

If it was me, I'd chalk it up to "should've" If you got a good deal, accept it and plan better next time.
Yup its lease so little less regret. I got 11% off Msrp plus additional rebates. May be after two months of ownership I might not even miss it that much but its really bad move from BMW base 3 series has a better looking DLR than the X5
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialBlue View Post
Yup its lease so little less regret. I got 11% off Msrp plus additional rebates. May be after two months of ownership I might not even miss it that much but its really bad move from BMW base 3 series has a better looking DLR than the X5
That's a great deal.

Just think of it way, moving to a X5 is a huge upgrade! The new 3 without laser also U-shaped DRLs, you're in good company.

I've seen quite a few G05s with the standard headlights, it's not bad and looks striking.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Deposits are always refundable, to my understanding. I actually asked about this at the dealer. Might be some states that allow a percentage held back from a deposit, tho.

It’s a lease? I’d leave it alone. If you are really bothered, you can probably turn in the lease early. Ask your dealer. I’m sure they don’t mind you asking and learning the process and consequences.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
ImperialBlue
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes it's a lease.
He gave me a good deal with out much effort so thats the reason I am thinking twice. He wouldn't accept it as this is the first time offering from him and would be long route to decline.
Damn thing went to production with in half a day. Good thing it is a interior option.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #7
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

I would refuse it & reorder. My pet peeve with the new X5. The standard
DRL's are horrid. Coming at you it looks like the thing has blown a fuse.
How BMW could have cheaped out this is beyond belief- I mean it does not look the a BMW - the halo DRL' are a signature of the brand. And FYI- the 2nd bulb in the headlight assembly is a dummy as well, to add insult to injury.

Planning on ordering a M50i, and believe me first option to be chosen is Laser.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
radelow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

You and I are in the same boat... I originally had spec'd both Laserlights and Luxury seating...The lease number came back too high so I removed both and placed the order...then the dealer came back and corrected their incorrect lease payment... I tried to add my stuff but it was too late. Little frustrated about it but in the end they got me my third row. I had a Cayenne loaner this weekend and it had a single LED light similar to the X5. It was great... I am going to miss the ventilated seats but have heard they aren't GREAT. Weather is mild in San Diego so don't REALLY need them.

I don't agree with the poster above me. Cancelling an order over some silly DRL's seems superfluous. It would be one thing if the dealer ordered something incorrectly but you knew what you were doing.

Just hang tough and keep your order. It's a lease so after 3 years you can decide if it was worth it.
      06-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

We all have the right to our opinion. I don't agree with your assessment however. But as it's a lease in the OP case, at least he can dump it in 3 years. I for one will be buying my M50i & will not be stuck looking at those ridiculous, bargain bin DRLs.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #10
GTF
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 2023 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
We all have the right to our opinion. I don't agree with your assessment however. But as it's a lease in the OP case, at least he can dump it in 3 years. I for one will be buying my M50i & will not be stuck looking at those ridiculous, bargain bin DRLs.
Everyone has their own priorities, but as a total automotive package DRL's are pretty insignificant (IMO). They were noticeable when Audi introduced on wide vehicle selection....now everyone has their own version. I think the only remaining distinctive DRL's are the 4-points from Porsche. I like both versions of the G05...I think the older BMW circular style was looking pretty old and lame. I think the new styling (both versions) are a much improved update.
But to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #11
radelow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Fortunately the only time you are looking at them is when you are walking to the car

Look I agree you should get exactly what you want. However I don't think this would rise to the level of denying the order. The OP ordered the car like this. Is it worth waiting 2+ months, paying more, and potentially ruining the relationship with this dealer (who gave him a great discount)? I don't think so.
      06-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #12
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radelow View Post
Fortunately the only time you are looking at them is when you are walking to the car

Look I agree you should get exactly what you want. However I don't think this would rise to the level of denying the order. The OP ordered the car like this. Is it worth waiting 2+ months, paying more, and potentially ruining the relationship with this dealer (who gave him a great discount)? I don't think so.
Hey I get your point. Actually I blame BMW. This DRL game is nothing but a premeditated money grab. The lasers themselves are a excellent. new technology, worth the option price., but they did not have to put those lousy neutered DRL's on the base lights. So they are prodding you to pay the $ to get proper DRL's
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 06:38 PM   #13
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:

"Fortunately the only time you are looking at them is when you are walking to the car "

Well that is interesting thinking. Using that logic, why care about what the wheels, M Sport body, trim, ect look like? You only see them when walking to the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #14
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTF View Post
Everyone has their own priorities, but as a total automotive package DRL's are pretty insignificant (IMO). They were noticeable when Audi introduced on wide vehicle selection....now everyone has their own version. I think the only remaining distinctive DRL's are the 4-points from Porsche. I like both versions of the G05...I think the older BMW circular style was looking pretty old and lame. I think the new styling (both versions) are a much improved update.
But to each their own.
You would have to admit that even with the older BMW Halo DRLs, at least you knew it was s BMW coming at you. I think the brand had a very distinctive DRL until they screwed it up in late model base redesigns.
Anyway not sure how you can think the base version" bag under eyes"
on the X5 is a improvement ( the average person would not recognize it as a Bimmer coming at them) But like you said to each their own. I will say this - even mass market Kia has nicer DRL's on it's new $24K Optima.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
You would have to admit that even with the older BMW Halo DRLs, at least you knew it was s BMW coming at you. I think the brand had a very distinctive DRL until they screwed it up in late model base redesigns.
Anyway not sure how you can think the base version" bag under eyes"
on the X5 is a improvement ( the average person would not recognize it as a Bimmer coming at them) But like you said to each their own. I will say this - even mass market Kia has nicer DRL's on it's new $24K Optima.
I think you may be arguing a different point than the others. What people are saying is that wanting to change an option that one selected on a build, in this case the laser lights, is not a good reason to decline a custom order. While it could be done it will more than likely result in a poor relationship with the dealer and forfeiture of a good discount. I don't believe anyone is arguing that the non-laser DRLs are great looking, are not done for cost savings, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #16
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
The basic lights work great. Great function, very wide, and the auto feature works great. With headlights, the only thing I car about is that they aren’t those Martian-blue things.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:10 PM   #17
Garycoral
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 / 45e

Quote:
You and I are in the same boat... I originally had spec'd both Laserlights and Luxury seating...The lease number came back too high so I removed both and placed the order...then the dealer came back and corrected their incorrect lease payment... I tried to add my stuff but it was too late. Little frustrated about it but in the end they got me my third row. I had a Cayenne loaner this weekend and it had a single LED light similar to the X5. It was great... I am going to miss the ventilated seats but have heard they aren't GREAT. Weather is mild in San Diego so don't REALLY need them.

I don't agree with the poster above me. Cancelling an order over some silly DRL's seems superfluous. It would be one thing if the dealer ordered something incorrectly but you knew what you were doing.

Just hang tough and keep your order. It's a lease so after 3 years you can decide if it was worth it.
You got a 3rd row??? When did you order?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:42 PM   #18
radelow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
"Fortunately the only time you are looking at them is when you are walking to the car "

Well that is interesting thinking. Using that logic, why care about what the wheels, M Sport body, trim, ect look like? You only see them when walking to the vehicle.
The wheels come with different profile and widths and the M Sport comes with M Adaptive suspension. Something the gives you direct feedback when driving. The DRL's don't really...
      06-24-2019, 11:43 PM   #19
radelow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I think you may be arguing a different point than the others. What people are saying is that wanting to change an option that one selected on a build, in this case the laser lights, is not a good reason to decline a custom order. While it could be done it will more than likely result in a poor relationship with the dealer and forfeiture of a good discount. I don't believe anyone is arguing that the non-laser DRLs are great looking, are not done for cost savings, etc.
BINGO
      06-24-2019, 11:45 PM   #20
radelow
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycoral View Post
You got a 3rd row??? When did you order?
Week before last... My dealer had a few allocations for third row. Go figure. He confirmed it with the Regional. I'll believe it when my car actually shows up and I see the third row but so far the car is being built.

Sure hope it does. I sold my XC90 so no more SUV in the house...I'll be stuck driving the 991 or the Raptor and the $120 bill to fill it up until a 2020 shows up .
      06-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #21
ImperialBlue
Lieutenant
Rep

End of the day it was my mistake.
I should have spent liltle more time on the options i skipped.
I only thought they will remove the blue component didn't knew they will screw up the iconic look which is basically their identity. It now looks like a VW really bad move.
Looks like Every pic of X5 I saw had laser lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:04 AM   #22
ImperialBlue
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

😂 it's your post that triggered the thought .... do I really need laser lights since I won't be riding in the country side.
I didn't knew look which change.
Appreciate 0