BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-29-2019, 05:42 AM   #1
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

X3M Competition – from an X3 M40i Driver’s Perspective

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I’ve enjoyed reading reviews by Journalists and Forum Members, but it’s difficult to translate subjective claims like ‘seats aren’t comfortable’ or the ‘suspension is too firm’ or ‘acceleration isn’t what I was hoping for’ into one’s own personal preferences considering the varied vehicle backgrounds, performance interests and driving experiences we all have. When formal testing reviews are released, we’ll have a better objective idea how the X3M’s and X4M’s handling and performance compare with the competition, but until then nothing tops being able to drive and experience them for ourselves.

The M Town Tour provides this brief chance to decide what does and doesn’t work on an individual level. I recently had the opportunity to drive the X3M Competition, M2 Competition, M850i, and the M5 Competition in this event. Much appreciation to BMW for offering this marketing program and to all of the local Dealers who pay to host these events. Each vehicle in this line-up offers something to the niche for which they were designed, so it seems unfair for me to personally comment on negatives or positives for those classes in which I have no interest. Having owned five previous X3 models (three F25 X3 35i and two G01 X3 M40i), the X3MC was the main reason for attending this event, and I can say it exceeded all of my expectations.

The X3M Competition builds upon the familiarity we have with our X3 M40i models and refines it in every aspect. And not just in a brute force way. The M seats gave excellent comfort and support at all points without being overly plush, and I suspect they’ll be great for long trips. The dash and center console provide for excellent cockpit management, and the ability to make so many different adjustments to the suspension, transmission, and steering improves the individual driving experience. I found the cornering and handling to be noticeably superior to our M40i models – sounds like an obvious comment I know, but with my lack of M experience I didn’t have a prior reference point from which to compare. The settings which worked best for me were similar to what some of the earlier Reviewers indicated - Sport for transmission, Comfort for suspension, and Comfort for steering. But that’s the beauty of it - one can easily progress through choices for each modality to find the right fit for each individual’s taste (which you can also change on the fly depending on conditions and needs). And the performance - well, it is unquestionably a different animal from our M40i and inspires confidence throughout the power curve.

I took images of items I’ve had questions about even after reading earlier reviews. Such as the appearance of the clean roof lines absent the heavy moon roof and how this allowed even more headroom in the already spacious inner cabin. And how the carbon fiber interior trim and overall cabin fit and finish were another step up from our M40i models. Also, some fore and aft undercarriage views in comparison to our G01 showing the significant work they did on the aero in those regions. And the absence of front ‘air curtains’ – this caught me by surprise as I don’t recall reading anything about that previously, so I’m attaching a comparison image from our G01. And global views from the front and side of the engine bay – even though I’ve seen a lot of engine pictures, seeing it in person certainly makes an impression. And the requisite cargo area images showing the hump still present for the spare tire, which made me wonder if BMW is having to include that substantial weight into our US curb weight if the majority of customers are going to opt for that? We are opting for the Mobility Kit to avoid that hump and weight but maybe most will get the spare, I don’t know.

So it really looks like BMW hit a homerun with this X3M Competition, at least from my perspective as an X3 M40i Driver who requires a vehicle of this size and cargo capacity which still allows one to experience M Division’s engineering and design. As soon as we’re assured of a post-1Aug new model year SOP production slot with ability to delete the moon roof with the M Driver’s package, our X3 M Competition order goes in.
Attached Images

Last edited by Max Well; 07-01-2019 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: shortened title
Appreciate 33
ando1954.50
Gonven622.50
jphcbpa301.00
kozzi927.00
yujini56.50
Rbrown2758.00
Jason40323.50
Kingpin4385.00
iatacs19456.50
BuddhaTB150.00
JWright82262.00
eau_rouge515.50
DeeKay553.00
Joe2402923.50
FSociety3810.00
clee1982796.00
khailuan110.50
MechX3M40i1006.00
Daddeo30.50
Niko ZV118.00
malbec10.00
x3mcomp175.00
minn1913970.00
      06-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Appreciate your perspective as M40i owner. I also like the pictures demonstrating all of the design changes for the M.
Appreciate 2
Max Well4692.00
      06-29-2019, 07:45 PM   #3
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d, Boxster GTS (981)

Garage List
Thanks for the comparison.
Can you compare the ride quality?
I'm worried about the stiffness as topgear gave it a 4/10 due to harshness saying it's not bearable.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4692.00
      06-30-2019, 08:29 AM   #4
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yujini View Post
Thanks for the comparison. Can you compare the ride quality? I'm worried about the stiffness as topgear gave it a 4/10 due to harshness saying it's not bearable.
Before the M Town Event this was actually one of my main concerns as well given some of those reviews, but after driving the X3M Competition I almost wonder if they were even driving the same vehicle. My short personal experience with the “Comfort” setting and undertaken on average local roads (without potholes or large uneven grade differences) was completely opposite to that opinion. I felt it was smooth and balanced, with the whole vehicle feeling inter-connected with great sense of the vehicle and it's grasp of the road. Solid, confident, and amazingly responsive. Much improved c/w our G01 M40i yet certainly as 'comfortable' with regards to ride quality if that makes sense.

Unfortunately, disclaimers are rarely attached to these ‘First Reviews’ so readers have no idea about bias or prejudice against (or for) a Mnfr's product or vehicle type (coupe vs SAV as example). Not saying that the reviewer had this bias - they may have actually felt that way about their drive, or maybe the roads they drove were in disrepair (if so, should have been clarified), or perhaps they started out in “Sport+” suspension setting which then clouded their judgement thereafter, or …? But I do wonder if ‘Reviewers’ take the time to study a vehicle’s tech documents to understand settings before they go for their drives. Maybe they do, but if so, it doesn’t show in many of their writings. I have read through the F97/F98 technical documents kindly shared by ynguldyn on 10 Jun 2019 - https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1623283 . The main section on suspension systems begins around page 55 of the ST1907 Complete Vehicle pdf and provides an in-depth discussion of how it works and why, and helps one to understand which setting will probably be preferred depending on the results desired. Pages 56 and 57 also show a graphic of the design and a legend explaining the items. Some relevant excerpts are:

“The Electronic Damper Control (EDC) is a variable, electronically controlled shock absorber adjustment system that controls the vertical dynamics. The front axle damper and rear axle damper can be controlled independent of each other. The EDC adapts the damping forces of the shock absorber more or less instantly to the changing road or driving conditions. … [p.59]

The sensors in the vehicle permanently measure: the body and vertical acceleration; the current lateral and longitudinal acceleration; the vehicle speed; and the steering wheel position. Based on this measured data, the M VDP control unit calculates the control commands to be sent to the electromagnetic valves in the shock absorbers for each individual wheel according to the road profile and driving situation. This means that the damping forces will always be applied according to requirements. This improves ride comfort and also increases driving dynamics. This improves the vehicle's: suitability for long-distance journeys; enhanced body stability and agility; and improves driving safety by minimizing wheel load fluctuations and reducing the stopping distance. The Dynamic Damper Control on the F97/F98 offers the options “Comfort”, “Sport” and “Sport+”. All three programs feature M dynamic control on the F97/F98. [p.60]

M drive dynamic control switch, EDC program description- "Comfort" mode on the F97/F98 delivers a distinctly comfortable ride to satisfy any demands for comfort on the part of BMW X3 M or BMW X4 M customers. The basic damper hardness is comfortable without forfeiting safe handling in an emergency (such as during rapid evasive maneuvers); "Sport" supports a demanding M dynamic and sporty driving style with increased basic damper hardness and sufficient remaining comfort (for example on country roads or bumpy racetracks such as the Nürburgring Nordschleife); "Sport+" on the F97/F98 now also means that M dynamic control comes into effect, with the basic shock absorber stiffness being further increased relative to "Normal". It may therefore also be the best selection for the fastest times on different route profiles on very even surfaces, unlike a route profile similar to a "cone-lined slalom".” [p.61]

So I knew going into the test drive exactly what setting I would choose – “Comfort”. Why would I even consider using “Sport+” after understanding the intent and purpose as envisioned by the M Engineering team?

Everyone will need to drive these models to gain a personal feel for all it has to offer, but this suspension question is absolutely a non-issue for me. Looking forward to our X3M Competition.
Appreciate 6
ando1954.50
GianniB35.00
yujini56.50
Joe2402923.50
FSociety3810.00
      06-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Before the M Town Event this was actually one of my main concerns as well given some of those reviews, but after driving the X3M Competition I almost wonder if they were even driving the same vehicle. My short personal experience with the “Comfort” setting and undertaken on average local roads (without potholes or large uneven grade differences) was completely opposite to that opinion. I felt it was smooth and balanced, with the whole vehicle feeling inter-connected with great sense of the vehicle and it's grasp of the road. Solid, confident, and amazingly responsive. Much improved c/w our G01 M40i yet certainly as 'comfortable' with regards to ride quality if that makes sense.

Unfortunately, disclaimers are rarely attached to these ‘First Reviews’ so readers have no idea about bias or prejudice against (or for) a Mnfr's product or vehicle type (coupe vs SAV as example). Not saying that the reviewer had this bias - they may have actually felt that way about their drive, or maybe the roads they drove were in disrepair (if so, should have been clarified), or perhaps they started out in “Sport+” suspension setting which then clouded their judgement thereafter, or …? But I do wonder if ‘Reviewers’ take the time to study a vehicle’s tech documents to understand settings before they go for their drives. Maybe they do, but if so, it doesn’t show in many of their writings. I have read through the F97/F98 technical documents kindly shared by ynguldyn on 10 Jun 2019 - https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1623283 . The main section on suspension systems begins around page 55 of the ST1907 Complete Vehicle pdf and provides an in-depth discussion of how it works and why, and helps one to understand which setting will probably be preferred depending on the results desired. Pages 56 and 57 also show a graphic of the design and a legend explaining the items. Some relevant excerpts are:

“The Electronic Damper Control (EDC) is a variable, electronically controlled shock absorber adjustment system that controls the vertical dynamics. The front axle damper and rear axle damper can be controlled independent of each other. The EDC adapts the damping forces of the shock absorber more or less instantly to the changing road or driving conditions. … [p.59]

The sensors in the vehicle permanently measure: the body and vertical acceleration; the current lateral and longitudinal acceleration; the vehicle speed; and the steering wheel position. Based on this measured data, the M VDP control unit calculates the control commands to be sent to the electromagnetic valves in the shock absorbers for each individual wheel according to the road profile and driving situation. This means that the damping forces will always be applied according to requirements. This improves ride comfort and also increases driving dynamics. This improves the vehicle's: suitability for long-distance journeys; enhanced body stability and agility; and improves driving safety by minimizing wheel load fluctuations and reducing the stopping distance. The Dynamic Damper Control on the F97/F98 offers the options “Comfort”, “Sport” and “Sport+”. All three programs feature M dynamic control on the F97/F98. [p.60]

M drive dynamic control switch, EDC program description- "Comfort" mode on the F97/F98 delivers a distinctly comfortable ride to satisfy any demands for comfort on the part of BMW X3 M or BMW X4 M customers. The basic damper hardness is comfortable without forfeiting safe handling in an emergency (such as during rapid evasive maneuvers); "Sport" supports a demanding M dynamic and sporty driving style with increased basic damper hardness and sufficient remaining comfort (for example on country roads or bumpy racetracks such as the Nürburgring Nordschleife); "Sport+" on the F97/F98 now also means that M dynamic control comes into effect, with the basic shock absorber stiffness being further increased relative to "Normal". It may therefore also be the best selection for the fastest times on different route profiles on very even surfaces, unlike a route profile similar to a "cone-lined slalom".” [p.61]

So I knew going into the test drive exactly what setting I would choose – “Comfort”. Why would I even consider using “Sport+” after understanding the intent and purpose as envisioned by the M Engineering team?

Everyone will need to drive these models to gain a personal feel for all it has to offer, but this suspension question is absolutely a non-issue for me. Looking forward to our X3M Competition.
Thanks for the detailed comparison.
I was getting a bit worried as the reason why I am thinking of getting an X3M over an M3/M5 was family related stuff.
If it were too stiff, then for me X3M wouldn't mean much.

If it's similar to an M40i, I can be happy
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2019, 06:17 AM   #6
youngdoc1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 M40i

Great review. Thanks for this.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4692.00
      07-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

You can order the car with the M Drivers Package it just delays production. Once you have an allocation it just moves back. I had that choice but I wanted the sunroof and didnt want to wait.

Peace
Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

I use Sport+ all day everyday in my M3. The X3/4M will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #9
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
You can order the car with the M Drivers Package it just delays production. Once you have an allocation it just moves back. I had that choice but I wanted the sunroof and didnt want to wait.

Peace
Noushy
Thanks, noushy - I'm actually waiting to see if they release an updated ordering Guide for the new SOP as well. Who knows - maybe they'll offer a few more M-specific colors.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      07-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #10
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post

Peace
Noushy
Thanks, noushy - I'm actually waiting to see if they release an updated ordering Guide for the new SOP as well. Who knows - maybe they'll offer a few more M-specific colors.
Yes the color choices basically suck. End of discussion. We chose graphite because most of the other colors were not even M specific like Phytonic blue. And Donnington is sooooo overplayed. Just plain sucks. And what a terrible individual color, sunstone? What created for East Asians basically or the Middle East?

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24832.00
FSociety3810.00
      07-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
esport37
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

ride quality

I had a different experience with the ride. In the case of bad pavements, you will feel every single bump on the road compared to M5 competition in comfort mode. M5 has a more compliant ride. That's why I am waiting to see how the regular X3M drives and decide.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 08:10 PM   #12
yujini
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by esport37 View Post
I had a different experience with the ride. In the case of bad pavements, you will feel every single bump on the road compared to M5 competition in comfort mode. M5 has a more compliant ride. That's why I am waiting to see how the regular X3M drives and decide.
M5 vs M5 competition has different suspensiosn, mount setup.
X3M/X4M vs competition has the same.
Isn't the difference 1. horse power, 2. seats, 3. black parts added to the exterior?

Performance-wise only power is the difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #13
esport37
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I am hoping to try X3m with maybe 20 inch wheel and see if it's any better.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:20 PM   #14
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yujini View Post
Quote:
M5 vs M5 competition has different suspensiosn, mount setup.
X3M/X4M vs competition has the same.
Isn't the difference 1. horse power, 2. seats, 3. black parts added to the exterior?

Performance-wise only power is the difference.
Since I don't actually own an M5 competition my favorite feature is the massaging seats for when I take my X.3 M 40i in for an oil change. I spent about an hour and a half in an M5 competition today and it was fabulous! It made me question my desire for an X3M. If only I had an extra $40,000.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 07:56 AM   #15
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Highlights the importance taking a test drive as opinions (and conditions) can vary. In my case I drove the M5C immediately after the X3MC and aside from the obvious expected differences of ride height, handling, ... , I felt the actual 'ride comfort' was very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
Since I don't actually own an M5 competition my favorite feature is the massaging seats for when I take my X3 M40i in for an oil change. I spent about an hour and a half in an M5 competition today and it was fabulous! It made me question my desire for an X3M. If only I had an extra $40,000.
We've always liked the M5 series, but we can't consider it given our requirements for cargo capacity and utility. A great line-up if you don't need the X3's all-around capabilities.
Attached Images

Last edited by Max Well; 07-02-2019 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: corrected image margin
Appreciate 6
ando1954.50
GianniB35.00
Daddeo30.50
      07-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #16
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Can't thank you enough, Max Well, for your insightful review from precisely the perspective I needed. I too was coming from an M40i on 21s to an X3MC, and the initial reviews all had me worried about ride quality. Italian asphalt is generally good in the north here, but it ain't track quality by a long shot. Anyway, your viewpoint was exactly what I needed to hear to keep me on target with my week 31 build date. Thanks for taking the time to inform us. Ciao.......
Appreciate 1
Max Well4692.00
      07-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #17
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Great review Max Well!
Appreciate 1
Max Well4692.00
      07-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #18
thekronoschef
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Thank you for the very detailed review. Most importantly, you're a G01 M40i owner like me - so this definitely helps with my decision to move into the X3M when my lease is up.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24832.00
Max Well4692.00
      07-02-2019, 03:14 PM   #19
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Thanks for the review. They'd have my order if it had a tow pack!
Appreciate 2
Max Well4692.00
xcusem3456.50
      07-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #20
Jvciuccio
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Grand Coupe

Quote:
If you take the run flats off you won't believe the difference in around town driving. I have taken the run flats off my last three BMW's. Buy a spare and enjoy your car so much more!!! Live in Ohio and the roads are just too bad for run flats stiff sidewalls
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 04:53 PM   #21
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvciuccio View Post
Quote:
If you take the run flats off you won't believe the difference in around town driving. I have taken the run flats off my last three BMW's. Buy a spare and enjoy your car so much more!!!
It doesn't have RFT's.
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #22
Jvciuccio
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i XDrive Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvciuccio View Post
Quote:
If you take the run flats off you won't believe the difference in around town driving. I have taken the run flats off my last three BMW's. Buy a spare and enjoy your car so much more!!!
It doesn't have RFT's.
Quote:
Well then I'm no help at all 😊
Appreciate 0