BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-08-2019, 11:14 PM   #1
Smithcinema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5

Connected drive issues finally solved

After picking up x5 May 1st everything worked amazing had no issues others talked about , Apple car play, corner lights, connected drive, bc button , everything was working great , then they sent a auto app update for the stupid experience apps and bingo wiped out my entire car , no connected drive no sos no traffic anything remote was gone , was on phone with the so called genius people there useless, ConnectedDrive keeps saying it's due to the migration that's a bunch off bull how come every car in dealership works !! Finally said I have enough and want a new x5 so took it in to service it sat there 2 weeks they had no clue how to fix it they updated everything in the car every computer still nothing yesterday someone at connected drive figured it out it was a ATT issue with the SIM card they swapped it out or reprogrammed it the service manager couldn't tell me what they did but everything is back to normal and working fine !!!! The service manager said next time bring it in for something simple lol he don't remember the last time a customer car was in service for 2 weeks lol and I had a brand new 5 series with 50 miles on it as a loaner now it has 1500 miles lol
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:45 AM   #2
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcinema View Post
.... someone at connected drive figured it out it was a ATT issue with the SIM card they swapped it out or reprogrammed it the service manager couldn't tell me what they did but everything is back to normal and working fine !!!! The service manager said next time bring it in for something simple lol he don't remember the last time a customer car was in service for 2 weeks lol and I had a brand new 5 series with 50 miles on it as a loaner now it has 1500 miles lol

Whoa.
I have At&T in an iPhone 7 that is prob about two years old now. I got the added apps one day, but my connected drive and other features all work - both before and after the added apps - as far as I know.

Picked up my car June 7, have iDrive build .44 which hasn’t changed.

However, I don’t use car play. Feeling pretty good about that decision. Could that be what is causing so many problems?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Glad you got yours going.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 06:50 AM   #4
Smithcinema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Quote:
.... someone at connected drive figured it out it was a ATT issue with the SIM card they swapped it out or reprogrammed it the service manager couldn't tell me what they did but everything is back to normal and working fine !!!! The service manager said next time bring it in for something simple lol he don't remember the last time a customer car was in service for 2 weeks lol and I had a brand new 5 series with 50 miles on it as a loaner now it has 1500 miles lol

Whoa.
I have At&T in an iPhone 7 that is prob about two years old now. I got the added apps one day, but my connected drive and other features all work - both before and after the added apps - as far as I know.

Picked up my car June 7, have iDrive build .44 which hasn’t changed.

However, I don’t use car play. Feeling pretty good about that decision. Could that be what is causing so many problems?
No it has nothing to do with the phone it was the ATT SIM card in the x5 that's why the x5 had no connectivity the SIM card was erased in the update
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 06:58 AM   #5
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Quote:
No it has nothing to do with the phone it was the ATT SIM card in the x5 that's why the x5 had no connectivity the SIM card was erased in the update
the SIM card in the car? I had no idea it had one. My connected drive works fine, so that means mine is okay, correct?

Thanks for responding. Slowly but surely I’m learning every little thing about this iDrive system. Thanks to All!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #6
Smithcinema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Quote:
the SIM card in the car? I had no idea it had one. My connected drive works fine, so that means mine is okay, correct?

Thanks for responding. Slowly but surely I’m learning every little thing about this iDrive system. Thanks to All!
Yes do your self a favor never hit the delete all data in the idrive menu that is what started my troubles no matter who tells u to do it !!!! Bmw genius aka morons made me do it and my x5 was down 6 weeks
Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00
      07-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Wow, this is crazy. I hope it gets resolved quickly
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

All, just wanted to clarify - G05 comes with an AT&T sim card?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorttt View Post
All, just wanted to clarify - G05 comes with an AT&T sim card?
That is correct.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #10
doctorttt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
That is correct.
sorry, dumb follow-up. What is the purpose of that AT&T sim card? If you want additional services (I don't what they are), do you need to sign up to a plan via AT&T?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorttt View Post
sorry, dumb follow-up. What is the purpose of that AT&T sim card? If you want additional services (I don't what they are), do you need to sign up to a plan via AT&T?
It is used for all communications with the car, connectedDrive services, SOS, BMW Assist, etc. as well as for the Internet connection via the WiFi HotSPot. The only time you need to sign up for anything with AT&T would be for the HotSpot.
Appreciate 0