BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Back in the bimmer game, now an exhaust thread. Who owns an AKRA?!?! Please come in.

07-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Back in the bimmer game, now an exhaust thread. Who owns an AKRA?!?! Please come in.

Finally!!!!!!

I took the conservative approach for the last few years, saving money so I could build my business. With everything running like clockwork now, I figured it was time to treat myself again!

Just got word my M2C will be available for pick up at the performance center 9/1 or thereabouts, and I’m very excited.

I want to start with an exhaust system as the car already comes with some nice Mperf bits and I’ve spent the last few days listening to video after video.

I think I’ve decided on the full Akra exhaust system, but my question has to do with the down pipes. I’ve never changed those before, and my goal is to have the throatiest exhaust note possible with the S55 engine.

What exactly is required to get them switched out? Like how many hours of labor does it take?

Catless vs catted what are the negatives? Will I get a CEL with catless and fail emissions? Is there any performance/ sound difference

I see there are several manufacturers of these pieces who is the most recommended, or should I just buy Akra to keep everything the same.

As far as addional mods I may look into the bm3 when it becomes usable again. Aside from that the car will remain as it did from factory save for a set of spare wheels or 2.

Thanks for the help gents!

Last edited by btbossman; 07-23-2019 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
PS.08361.00
      07-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Congrats boss.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Catless = More Sound, More Performance, Won't pass emissions, will have CEL, might send car into limp mode, needs a tune, depending on where you live it might turn your car into a cop magnet

Catted = Will pass emissions, No CEL in 80% of cases, a bit more sound and performance

Mixing up exhaust parts is a bit of a hit and miss with annoying drone as a side-effect.

Akra is imho not the best sounding exhaust. AA midpipe is your go-to for deeper and darker growl. Remus or FI-Exhaust aren't bad either. Catless armytrix is probably one of the most brutal around.

Last thing last, remember to code ASD off, because the fake noise won't synch well with the new exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #4
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Honestly I thought the akra was like 4600 but now I see for full catback it’s over 7k. Which is insane.

My last f80 had a meisterschsft and I think it was 2500, but it turned the car into a raging animal, and would drone hard at highway cruising speed unless I was cruising at 90+ mph.

Heard some more of the Eisenmann exhaust too, and I’m starting to like it, the Remus sounds good too.

I haven’t coded anything past 2016, is it possible to turn asd and the burbles off even now after latest update causing the flash tunes to no longer work?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #5
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Also is a highflow catted downpipe worth it if I’m not trying to deal with CEL BS?They are significantly more expensive it seems than the catless version.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Catless = More Sound, More Performance, Won't pass emissions, will have CEL, might send car into limp mode, needs a tune, depending on where you live it might turn your car into a cop magnet

Catted = Will pass emissions, No CEL in 80% of cases, a bit more sound and performance

Mixing up exhaust parts is a bit of a hit and miss with annoying drone as a side-effect.

Akra is imho not the best sounding exhaust. AA midpipe is your go-to for deeper and darker growl. Remus or FI-Exhaust aren't bad either. Catless armytrix is probably one of the most brutal around.

Last thing last, remember to code ASD off, because the fake noise won't synch well with the new exhaust!
What is perf difference in cat vs decatted?

Is it like 5hp or something?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 04:06 AM   #7
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman View Post
Honestly I thought the akra was like 4600 but now I see for full catback it’s over 7k. Which is insane.

My last f80 had a meisterschsft and I think it was 2500, but it turned the car into a raging animal, and would drone hard at highway cruising speed unless I was cruising at 90+ mph.

Heard some more of the Eisenmann exhaust too, and I’m starting to like it, the Remus sounds good too.

I haven’t coded anything past 2016, is it possible to turn asd and the burbles off even now after latest update causing the flash tunes to no longer work?

Thanks!
The premium you pay for Akra is worth it on almost all cars they support but sadly not that much with the S55

ASD can be turned off by physical bypass or bimmercode. Burbles only through a tune afaik.

BM3 is not supported right now but other companies like VF apparently have no issues with OBD flash tuning.

GoneIn4Secs

I have low trust in vendor dyno's but if you go by them 20/30 hp & torque increase. A catless system removes back pressure limitations allowing the turbo to spool better so unlike lets say an air filter, there definitely are proven gains.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Imo DPs are the best mod, even on their own. They are cheap too.

They give a great sound themselves and much quicker boost response and they give much better tailpipe sounds too even with standard exhaust.

(Without opf of course)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #9
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

My worry is just CEL. Honestly going back over everything again the M performance exhaust sounds pretty good too.

I normally wouldn’t mind just spending the money on the AKRA but this saving money thing for the last few years has gotten to my head and over 10% of the cars cost seems ridiculous.

Are clearing CELs just done with a code reader? Do you have to plug into the engine for that? What happens if you have an actual engine issue and you clear the code? Does it void any warranty?

Honestly don’t even think I’d tune the car for a year or 2 until I get a little bored, as it has plenty of power for my 10mi total daily commute.

I’ve heard catless dps with the stock exhaust and it does sound much better. Much better then a mid pipe I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #10
ICantDrive4Sht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
My worry is just CEL. Honestly going back over everything again the M performance exhaust sounds pretty good too.

I normally wouldn’t mind just spending the money on the AKRA but this saving money thing for the last few years has gotten to my head and over 10% of the cars cost seems ridiculous.

Are clearing CELs just done with a code reader? Do you have to plug into the engine for that? What happens if you have an actual engine issue and you clear the code? Does it void any warranty?

Honestly don’t even think I’d tune the car for a year or 2 until I get a little bored, as it has plenty of power for my 10mi total daily commute.

I’ve heard catless dps with the stock exhaust and it does sound much better. Much better then a mid pipe I think.
You would need to tune your car, otherwise the CEL will pop up everytime after you just clear the codes, and it will most likely go into limp mode.
And yes, it will void your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #11
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

I’m going to pass on DPs I guess. To akra or not to Akra, that is the question.

Honestly I think the m perf exhaust doesn’t sound half bad. The Eisenmann in all titanium is just as expensive, and akra is def better quality so I guess I just need to hear more examples as I haven’t heard either in person.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 06:41 PM   #12
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Unless I can get a conservative tune that works post the update that rendered bm3 useless. I’ve heard a couple vids of just a catless dp and stock exhaust and it really does sound very good. If you have an issue can you just Flash it off so they don’t know, or at least know less?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 03:16 AM   #13
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICantDrive4Sht View Post
You would need to tune your car, otherwise the CEL will pop up everytime after you just clear the codes, and it will most likely go into limp mode.
And yes, it will void your warranty.
It takes a while, often days for CEL to pop up. No limp mode for DPs just emissions check minor CEL. But annoying none the less. Yes a tune or JB4 etc to get rid.

You need a OBDII diag software or code reader / clearer before you start messing about really. Its essential that you can read and check faults yourself to avoid tell tale codes alerting the dealer.

Yes warranty would be iffy on exhaust and some engine problems maybe. But all other items still covered.

My 335i went in for costly HP fuel pump replacement under warranty with DPs on / BMS intake and all non BMW service history , they never said a word.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I’m going to pass on DPs I guess. To akra or not to Akra, that is the question.

Honestly I think the m perf exhaust doesn’t sound half bad. The Eisenmann in all titanium is just as expensive, and akra is def better quality so I guess I just need to hear more examples as I haven’t heard either in person.
Congrats!

Get the Active Autowerke midpipe + REMUS axle back, best sounding setup in my opinion

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 05:44 PM   #15
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Just wanted to update. Decided to purchase the Akra. A friend has heard it first hand and says it sounds way better then on m4. It’s steep, but for no drone perfection, and top notch build quality. Fuck it. Yolo!

My car won’t be in for over a month but I’ll post a vid when I can.
Appreciate 1
M2C_PLUS1774.00
      07-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just wanted to update. Decided to purchase the Akra. A friend has heard it first hand and says it sounds way better then on m4. It’s steep, but for no drone perfection, and top notch build quality. Fuck it. Yolo!

My car won’t be in for over a month but I’ll post a vid when I can.
Congrats

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #17
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Akra sounds ok, but really is a bit too rice-y for my liking.. The AA midpipe is pretty much the only way to get of the rice-y rasp... Akra is also extremely overpriced. I would recommend Full AA, midpipe only, or AA + Remus. Akra = paying for name.
Dav3946.50
      07-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #18
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

As someone who has owned 2 before as well as a gt Haus and Eisenmann, what I can say is it’s the highest quality unit made that I know of hands down. Resale is great. It is made in full ti as well. I have no doubt that if it were stainless it would be much cheaper.

The main thing for me is this is a daily driver, and I don’t want drone as I do a lot of highway driving. I also checked Eisenmanns full ti price and it’s more then akra so I think it’s just the simplest plug and play option for me right now being I don’t have to do anything to the car/warranty to get a tad more power and a great sound too.

Also it supposedly sounds much better then the m4 and I had one on my 2016 m4 which also sounded way better then in the vids. Unfortunately the engine sounds a bit ricey. I’m embracing it with arms wide open because the ride as a whole is a masterpiece imo.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Logan View Post
Akra sounds ok, but really is a bit too rice-y for my liking.. The AA midpipe is pretty much the only way to get of the rice-y rasp... Akra is also extremely overpriced. I would recommend Full AA, midpipe only, or AA + Remus. Akra = paying for name.
+1

Quote:
As someone who has owned 2 before as well as a gt Haus and Eisenmann, what I can say is it’s the highest quality unit made that I know of hands down. Resale is great. It is made in full ti as well. I have no doubt that if it were stainless it would be much cheaper.

Agree these 2 brands are very high quality, i would not put them over Akrapovic or REMUS though

Appreciate 1
FSU_Logan281.00
      07-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #20
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
+1

Agree these 2 brands are very high quality, i would not put them over Akrapovic or REMUS though
Have you heard both in person? Any drone with the AA pipe and Remus back end at cruising speeds
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #21
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep

Just to be clear I’m looking for the most refined sound across the power band. Ability to be low key and a raging animal. A bi polar exhaust if you will. If I just wanted deep loudness nothing can beat the meisterschaft.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 04:55 PM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you heard both in person? Any drone with the AA pipe and Remus back end at cruising speeds
No drone with Active midpipe + REMUS axle back

Appreciate 0