E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What is the correct fill plug for the e90 328i Manual?

07-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
NCSUPack24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i (E90)

What is the correct fill plug for the e90 328i Manual?

So I searched and found one thread with a guy discussing this, but it didn’t have conclusive answers.

I’m changing the manual transmission fluid in my e90 328i. I search the parts on RealOEM, order them, take off the fill/drain plugs, and drain the fluid. Go to put on the new plugs I ordered and they’re half as tall, don’t have rubber gaskets and are steel, whereas the older ones were aluminum.

The old thread said it was a BMW-approved change, but that seems like a big switch. Not only switching metals, also reducing the plug length and taking the gasket away?

I did find a plug that looks like my old one: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/BM-231...CABEgK7Q_D_BwE

and here’s what the new one looks like: https://m.eeuroparts.com/Parts/14079...d-23127602815/

What gives? Did BMW actually make this change or did I finally get bit in the a** by RealOEM?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Yep, that's exactly what mine looks like. BMW must've later decided that a gasket is not needed.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
NCSUPack24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Yep, that's exactly what mine looks like. BMW must've later decided that a gasket is not needed.
Huh. It just seems counter-intuitive. Especially because the engine oil plug uses a crush washer at least. Any leaking on your end using the steel bolts?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGAHopeful26 View Post
So I searched and found one thread with a guy discussing this, but it didn’t have conclusive answers.

I’m changing the manual transmission fluid in my e90 328i. I search the parts on RealOEM, order them, take off the fill/drain plugs, and drain the fluid. Go to put on the new plugs I ordered and they’re half as tall, don’t have rubber gaskets and are steel, whereas the older ones were aluminum.

The old thread said it was a BMW-approved change, but that seems like a big switch. Not only switching metals, also reducing the plug length and taking the gasket away?

I did find a plug that looks like my old one: https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/BM-231...CABEgK7Q_D_BwE

and here’s what the new one looks like: https://m.eeuroparts.com/Parts/14079...d-23127602815/

What gives? Did BMW actually make this change or did I finally get bit in the a** by RealOEM?
Do you have x-drive? 328 X-drive manual transmissions are ZF made and have aluminum plug with rubber gasket, replacements are same too.
328 RWD manual transmissions are Getrag and have the plug that doesn't have the gasket. Different part numbers.

I guess RWD ones are using the aluminum surface of the transmission as crush washer. And per BMW the MT oil is "life long" …. so surface won't work harden with once tightening per life.

I have ZF that has the rubber gasket so can't comment on leaking.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
NCSUPack24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Do you have x-drive? 328 X-drive manual transmissions are ZF made and have aluminum plug with rubber gasket, replacements are same too.
328 RWD manual transmissions are Getrag and have the plug that doesn't have the gasket. Different part numbers.

I guess RWD ones are using the aluminum surface of the transmission as crush washer. And per BMW the MT oil is "life long" …. so surface won't work harden with once tightening per life.

I have ZF that has the rubber gasket so can't comment on leaking.
Nope, 07' 328i Sedan for me. On RealOEM it says I have the "GS6-17BG/DG." The fluid didn't look like it had been changed... (pretty gross looking) but maybe it was and they used the wrong plugs? That or BMW just used one plug for multiple transmissions during production?

I'll go check out the transmission and see if I can tell how deep the threading goes. If the threading is as deep as the original bolt is, then it doesn't seem like a great idea to only use half the threading in a new bolt, even if BMW says so.

Haha I wouldn't put it past them relying on the transmission for a "crush washer"... I still can't believe it's a "lifetime" fill.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Huh. It just seems counter-intuitive. Especially because the engine oil plug uses a crush washer at least. Any leaking on your end using the steel bolts?
Nope, no leaking at all. Maybe the fluid is thick enough that they can get away with no gasket or crush washer.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
Luna118
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Nope, 07' 328i Sedan for me. On RealOEM it says I have the "GS6-17BG/DG." The fluid didn't look like it had been changed... (pretty gross looking) but maybe it was and they used the wrong plugs? That or BMW just used one plug for multiple transmissions during production?

I'll go check out the transmission and see if I can tell how deep the threading goes. If the threading is as deep as the original bolt is, then it doesn't seem like a great idea to only use half the threading in a new bolt, even if BMW says so.

Haha I wouldn't put it past them relying on the transmission for a "crush washer"... I still can't believe it's a "lifetime" fill.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 07:33 PM   #8
NCSUPack24
Private First Class
Rep

So, I measured the threading and the new steel bolts are almost a perfect fit. The older ones, believe it or not... are way too long. Like, shockingly so.

NBA, I’m taking your advice and putting these on. Might try and use the rubber washers from the old bolts as well though, not sure yet.

Thanks for the clarification everyone!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #9
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

My guess with what you found this is not the first time in the life of that car MT fluid is being changed and previous time the ZF plugs were used instead of Getrag.
Appreciate 0