E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Just making sure my radiator needs to be replaced

07-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
Anthony199
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i 06 Sparkling Graphite

Just making sure my radiator needs to be replaced

Hey everyone,

I'm loosing coolant slowly on my 325i 2006 sedan. Pressure tested the system, found the leak to be on the top driver side of the radiator. Took a video here: https://youtu.be/MXc_RyQ1b_o

I purchased a new radiator and will replace myself when it arrives. Doesn't seem to bad of a job. I'm wondering if that leak does look like it's coming from the radiator? Also, is there anything else to purchase (like tabs, clips, screws..)?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

You are correct that it isn't a bad job. It can, however, be a royal PITA to get some of the hose fittings off.

I used a heat gun (and some common sense...) and it worked wonders. The fittings expanded just enough to make what felt like an impossible task much, much easier. The most nerve-wracking part was using enough force to get them off but without snapping them all to shit.

The good news for you is that you're replacing your rad, which would usually be on the losing end of a broken fitting. Nonetheless, the last thing you want to be doing is trying to extract a sheared-off fitting that has welded itself into a hose from 12 years of expansion and contraction

Good luck!

Check out this excellent post/guide from Efthreeoh:https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936250
      07-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Anthony199
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i 06 Sparkling Graphite

Thanks for the link!
Good idea for the heat gun use. I also have the needle looking screwdriver rod type of things the help loosening the hoses, I hope they help.
Appreciate 0