E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A/C Compressor Pulley Broke Off, Where To Get R134a Evacuated?

08-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
NCSUPack24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i (E90)

A/C Compressor Pulley Broke Off, Where To Get R134a Evacuated?

So, the title says it all. I had the a/c pulley on my e90 328i sedan break off. Right now, I'm running a shorter belt to bypass it. Obviously I need to replace the compressor, but before I can even think about that, I have to get the refrigerant in the system evacuated (trying to be a good boy, Mr. EPA...)

Where do you guys go to get that done? I've called 5 shops near me and I either get a long pause like they don't understand the question and a random number ($129 seems to be the common one), a denial or one place that wants $70 bucks to do it. Based on what I've read, they actually get to reuse that refrigerant, so why so much? Tried a highly rated mobile mechanic but he said he doesn't reclaim stuff due to the liability of it leaking into the atmosphere.

Also, I plan on renting the gauges/pump from O'Reilly's to tackle the project. Probably will replace the drier since it seems like something to knock out while I'm working on things. Any other preventative/recommended maintenance while I'm under the hood in the a/c system?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Some people have replaced the pulley, assuming your compressor is still good.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

I paid around $100 at the local Shell station garage. I would think any auto repair shop could do it for you but it's probably not a very common request. You might be able to cut a better deal if you negotiate both an evac followed later by a recharge once you've replaced the compressor and drier. Most modern A/C systems need a precise amount of refrigerant (by weight) to work properly. You're better off letting a shop that has the proper equipment recharge the system.
      08-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
nhhiep
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

Is it really needed? I thought it’s a closed system. I am using a shorter belt now and plan to leave it that way indefinitely
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGAHopeful26 View Post
So, the title says it all. I had the a/c pulley on my e90 328i sedan break off. Right now, I'm running a shorter belt to bypass it. Obviously I need to replace the compressor...
Stop right there! WHOA!! Do NOT complete Downswing!

As SMassey states, you can replace a failed pulley WITHOUT replacing the Compressor, and in at least SOME cases, WITHOUT disconnecting refrigerant lines and removing compressor from the vehicle.

THAT MEANS NO reason to pump refrigerant out of system. It will NOT enter the atmosphere as a result of pulley failure/ replacement and YOU can relax and NOT worry about it.

DJT and his EPA Director don't give a xxxx (insert expletive of YOUR CHOICE ;-) about the Environment, so NO reason to be concerned about anyone knocking on your door.

Here's a DIY thread, with photos, about how to do the job:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1074601

If that does NOT tell you what you need to know, post back & we can supply more info. YOU could help US by indicating any unusual sounds, wobble, belt noise, etc. you may have noticed prior to failure, and HOW failure occurred, including at what speed, belt shredding or getting BEHIND Crankshaft Pulley, etc.

George
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
NCSUPack24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Stop right there! WHOA!! Do NOT complete Downswing!

As SMassey states, you can replace a failed pulley WITHOUT replacing the Compressor, and in at least SOME cases, WITHOUT disconnecting refrigerant lines and removing compressor from the vehicle.

THAT MEANS NO reason to pump refrigerant out of system. It will NOT enter the atmosphere as a result of pulley failure/ replacement and YOU can relax and NOT worry about it.

DJT and his EPA Director don't give a xxxx (insert expletive of YOUR CHOICE ;-) about the Environment, so NO reason to be concerned about anyone knocking on your door.

Here's a DIY thread, with photos, about how to do the job:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1074601

If that does NOT tell you what you need to know, post back & we can supply more info. YOU could help US by indicating any unusual sounds, wobble, belt noise, etc. you may have noticed prior to failure, and HOW failure occurred, including at what speed, belt shredding or getting BEHIND Crankshaft Pulley, etc.

George
Haha I deserved that, nice golf reference!

The A/c compressor had been making noises for a while (at idle is when I noticed it) but on this occasion I was driving across the state, and made it about halfway when I heard what sounded like a bad vibration from the engine bay. Made it to a safe location with an auto parts store nearby, and opened the hood to see the a/c pulley wobbling all over the place. I turned off the car and as soon as I did, I heard “pop” and sure enough, the pulley completely broke away from the center hub. Belt just hung down, didn’t get wrapped around anything. Bought a short belt, breaker bar and t60, removed the old belt and drove on without a/c.

The belt on there wasn’t shredded, looked perfectly fine. It was all highway driving, so it happened probably between 4.5 to 5k rpm. I think the abruptness of turning off the car is what finally broke it.

Seeing as how it was making noise before, and my a/c wasn’t exactly frigid (but was still kind of cold) I just assumed it needed replacing. You think even with it being a fairly violent affair, the compressor is worth saving?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #7
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Glad it didn't grenade on you while driving! That could have been much worse...

I would absolutely recommend replacing the pulley, assuming you have non xDrive vehicle. (On xDrive there is insufficient access.)

The design of the pulley allows it to break free of the hub and spin independent of the compressor shaft in cases where either the compressor seizes or the pulley itself fails (as it did for you). The purpose of this is to prevent belt failure or other larger issues from arising in the event too great of resistance is required to turn the compressor.

It's unlikely, but if the cause of failure was resistance from the compressor itself, then you'll obviously need a new compressor. Otherwise, as George suggested, you should be okay with a new pulley, hub, and bearing (can be purchased together).

You'll need a 7mm box-end to remove the shaft bolt. Would suggest a 6-point rather than 12, as you might need to turn it quite hard. Generally it's best to leave the belt on when removing the pulley as it helps prevent it from turning; however, since you have no pulley, you'll need to get creative. A strap wrench could help you, or you could just use a more barbaric method like vise grips since you won't be needing what's left of the pulley anyway... Not sure whether you'll need a puller, but if you do, go with a 3-jaw to make your life easier.

From what I recall, our cars do not have the large circlip (#1 in diagram). Otherwise, they should be the same as what's shown below.

Keep us posted!

08-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #8
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Forgot to add:

If you plant two trees and refrain from barbecuing for a month, you are legally allowed to vent the refrigerant to atmosphere.
      08-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #9
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Can the compressor shaft be spun by hand (/with a wrench)? The AC compressor is one area of the car I haven't dealt with much, but considering the design of the compressor I'd expect it should spin freely. Could that be a quick way of determining whether the compressor is damaged before going through the trouble of replacing the pulley?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
NCSUPack24
Private First Class
Rep

So, I ended up getting a new Denso unit from a buddy working at a car parts shop. For $80 more, I get a new compressor instead of a pulley. The compressor itself is still good, and the system was under vacuum, so that means no leaks, which is also good.

My problem is this. I pulled the old compressor out and tried emptying it of oil.... but there's hardly anything in it. Do you guys recommend pouring out the oil that came with the new compressor? Or do I add it to the system instead?

I just really don't want to overdo it is all.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #11
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

There's this guy I know around the corner from Home Depot.