E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Huge misunderstanding - Vanos- Fuel pressure

08-06-2019, 09:31 PM   #1
newsimplegroup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2007

Huge misunderstanding - Vanos- Fuel pressure

2007 335i - 96k.

Had VANOS fail.
When they failed on the freeway, alot of the power in low range RPMs did not come back after replacing solenoids.

What could have been damaged from VANOS failure? What would cause engine to be running a rough idle, hesitating sometimes, and huge throttle pressure loss?

What the FUCK is going on here?

I had fuel pressure regulator replaced. Water Pump and thermo just done.
Oil change, plugs change.

I have a serious fucking issue.

Could the VANOS failure have caused some serious engine damage?
I AM LOSING MY FUCKING MIND.

Last edited by newsimplegroup; 08-06-2019 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:58 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Unfortunately, I do NOT know anything about the N54 and never owned a Turbo. I would suggest having some shop with INPA or ISTA read Fault Codes in ALL modules (takes less than 5 minutes in INPA). THEN, assuming there are fault codes in the DME (MSD80), Connect to the DME and read Fault Code Definitions, Details & Freeze Frame Data (another 10-15 minutes including copying screens). Take a flash drive / thumb drive with you and get shop to give you a copy of any screens with DME & Freeze Frame Detail and attach those jpg image files here.

THEN someone can help. Without any code details we can only guess.

If you have ANY type of Scan Tool, even a generic P-code reader, at least let us know what THAT shows for codes. If NO Scan Tool, and no shop will do what is described above for $100 or less, then take it to Advance Auto & get codes read. Take photo of each Fault Code Screen and attach here.

George
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:03 PM   #3
newsimplegroup
Enlisted Member
Rep

No codes, shop just fully diagnosed and shotgunned a part at it. Claim I'm crazy. They did not run compression or pressure tests. Said Fuel Pressure Plausibility fault is a "normal" code, disregarding the fact my idle is rough, and the car feels completely different. My throttle itself is just completely different. I feel things when Im on the highway in the throttle pedal. Just feels like gurgling and shaking a little.

The car used to take off at low pedal pressure. Now it drives like a normal car. Needs to have alot of pressure applied to get acceleration.

I'm looking into getting a proper cable so I can do some readings, but of course no store front has them.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:14 PM   #4
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

BimmerGeeks is a popular option for cables. Amazon works too if you’re in a rush.

You seem to be aware of this, but codes will probably point you closer to the actual issue. I’m not very familiar with N54, but I call BS that fuel pressure plausibility is a “normal” code... Maybe it’s somewhat common (??), but pressure wasn’t out of range just because. If it’s cleared and comes back, then I’d say it warrants a closer look.
      08-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
newsimplegroup
Enlisted Member
Rep

What is this hose?

hose leak https://imgur.com/a/QbWHX07
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #6
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
Test / clean / replace the following in order:

Air filter - replace
Mass air flow - clean
Fuel system/ injectors - add fuel system cleaner - by liquimoly
Engine oil - replace
Vanos solenoid - clean or replace
Vanos check valve - clean or replace

This procedure should solve 90% of bmw engine power problems.

I came up with this procedure while trying to solve power problems on my car over the course of 50,000km. I used Ista D to monitor codes and perform all engine tests. I had power problems and no codes in the ecu. Changing my solenoids fixed my issue. Bmw seems to have increased the fault tolerance for vanos but its very noticeable on a manual tranny car when the torque is lost.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsimplegroup View Post
No codes, shop just fully diagnosed and shotgunned a part at it. Claim I'm crazy. They did not run compression or pressure tests. Said Fuel Pressure Plausibility fault is a "normal" code, disregarding the fact my idle is rough, and the car feels completely different. My throttle itself is just completely different. I feel things when Im on the highway in the throttle pedal. Just feels like gurgling and shaking a little.

The car used to take off at low pedal pressure. Now it drives like a normal car. Needs to have alot of pressure applied to get acceleration.

I'm looking into getting a proper cable so I can do some readings, but of course no store front has them.
Hold on. A plausibility fault cannot be normal; by definition it's implausible! This code would be thrown if the sensor reports a negative fuel pressure, for example, or maybe 900000bar or something which just cannot be correct. This points to a fault with that sensor, or the wiring, or the DME.

Of course, you'd want to check for any codes, log them all, clear them and see which come back immediately. And if they all stay away, at least temporarily, see if the car drives better before they do reappear.

You need to get yourself a code reader, or get the codes read by a shop, and then you can figure out what's what.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #8
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Hold on. A plausibility fault cannot be normal; by definition it's implausible! This code would be thrown if the sensor reports a negative fuel pressure, for example, or maybe 900000bar or something which just cannot be correct. This points to a fault with that sensor, or the wiring, or the DME.

Of course, you'd want to check for any codes, log them all, clear them and see which come back immediately. And if they all stay away, at least temporarily, see if the car drives better before they do reappear.

You need to get yourself a code reader, or get the codes read by a shop, and then you can figure out what's what.

Good luck!
If the code is 2AAF and there are NO OTHER FUEL CODES, then it is common and not the source of the OPs problem. I’m not just repeating some other poster- BMW has issued a TIS about it.

But the main point to the OP is that he must read the codes and report the codes here if you want any useful help.

Last edited by dpaul; 08-20-2019 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #9
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Weird. I stand corrected.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:22 PM   #10
newsimplegroup
Enlisted Member
Rep

Figured I'd throw in an update. As I have been driving myself insane. Took car to another shop, said it's fine.

Convinced of the impeding doom this issue will have on my motor, I took it to yet another shop. I walked in and told them to check my timing, and replace my exhaust VANOS sprocket.

Here's why - Engine feels like it's slipping or catching the torque I once had only briefly and only in certain moments, like 1st gear going uphill @ 3,000 RPM, you can feel the torque come back, then shift, and softens back to slow.

Engine feels weaker.

There is now a knock associated with what has felt like the misfire, or it just knocks, once a minute or so. Kind of sounds like the sound that is normal when turning off these engines, these N54's. You know how it knocks, chugs down to zero? When you push the button? Sounds like a brief moment of this, then usually it's normal again, or if associated with a misfire feeling, engine bumps RPMs up to about 700-800 depending.

This shop called me, said I had a weak injector on #5, not weak necessarily, but falling out of value, and was an original 07 Injector.

To diagnose the knock, the removed my belt and ran the engine. The knock did not recreate itself without the belt on it. However, given that I believe I have lost or am losing - Vanos sprocket, Vanos bolt, Crank bolt, something of that nature, I don't know why it would knock without a load on it anyway? So they assumed I'm fine.

With all of these new plugs, and new injector, water pump, etc. There was a dollop of sparkle found on my oil filter housing. Not sure what that's all about, I'm sure it's the doom I speak of.

But anyways, 4,000 later, no shop has even dared to look inside my engine, to check timing, see if something's off.

Any reason why they talk to me like I'm a complete fucking idiot, or just DO NOT WANT TO CONSIDER the fact that it COULD be one of these things?

Oh because they drive my car and claim it's completely fine.
I'm apparently all the diagnostic information they have, claiming my engine is at half-life. And they don't believe me.

Death of N54?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:25 PM   #11
newsimplegroup
Enlisted Member
Rep

There are no codes. There's 2AAF. That is apparently or has been before associated with the failure of VANOS sprocket. Shop claims they watched vanos system advance and retard on software.

I know how Bimmergeeks OTG cable and can get an app. But I am convinced this problem is timing, or elsewise. I am dead-set on VANOS gear or gears. But, I know nothing.

I have no tools, and no timing kit.

If anyone has any plausible suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. But at this point, I hope my engine isn't finished.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 01:56 AM   #12
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Normally when I'd go into a shop and ask them to change something, they'd schedule it in the next available slot with no questions asked. They'd happily take my money, even if they didn't think there was a problem. OK, so a decent shop should give a 'are you sure, we don't think it's the problem' chat, but they'd still do it.

Honestly seems like they're all just scared by it, and don't want to touch it.

Good luck. Sorry I've got nothing better to add.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2425.00
      09-24-2019, 05:31 AM   #13
schriss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330e Plugin Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Normally when I'd go into a shop and ask them to change something, they'd schedule it in the next available slot with no questions asked. They'd happily take my money, even if they didn't think there was a problem. OK, so a decent shop should give a 'are you sure, we don't think it's the problem' chat, but they'd still do it.

Honestly seems like they're all just scared by it, and don't want to touch it.
I think you're right. When I go to my shop, I tell them what needs to be done and they just do it, because I pay for that.
It sounds like those guys/shops either do not have required tools or knowledge and are afraid to make things worse. Maybe they only have experience with older cars and it's time to find another shop.
      09-24-2019, 06:04 AM   #14
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

the first question is hpfp pump ever replaced ? what is revision of the injectors ?
what interval used for oil replacement ?
when was oil filter replaced ?
have you ever replaced PCV valve ?
the key idea is that vanos valve adjust camshaft position using engine oil pressure force and chain is tensioned using same force
if you have clogged oil filter or other reason of the insufficient oil pressure you will have problem with engine VVT system
      09-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #15
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

what was the original vanos problem, and what was done to fix that?

watch this.
Appreciate 0