E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fuel filter location for 2009 323i?

08-09-2019, 11:36 PM   #1
supadups2k18
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 323i

Fuel filter location for 2009 323i?

Hi there I would like to confirm if someone can let me know the location of the fuel filter on the above car. I followed the video below but removing the cover in the video does not provide me with access to the fuel filter. I am based in Toronto so this would be the north American version the car which may explain why I cannot find it in the same location as the video perhaps? Your help is appreciated

Here is the video:

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 03:53 AM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

The fuel filter is built into the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel tank. It is not easily accessible, messy, and expensive to replace since you're replacing two parts at once.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 05:43 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

NBA Jam is correct.

I double checked on Realoem.com to make sure. The North American gasoline-fueled E90's all have the fuel filter built into the fuel tank, even the Canadian 323i (which is not a USA market car only Canadian market). The car they show in the video has an external fuel filter because it is a diesel. Searching on Realoem shows only diesel-fuel E90s have a in-line fuel filter.

The in-tank fuel filter on the gasoline-fuel E90 is a lifetime part on the North American version of the E90; there is no need to preemptively replace it.

Just a pet peeve of mine. I do not rely on internet videos to rely on for BMW mechanical work. I prefer to use BMW's technical information with is Realoem.com for parts and Newtis.info for repair procedures. Auto Doc should have noted on the video it was for diesels only.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 08-10-2019 at 05:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #4
Luna118
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
NBA Jam is correct.

I double checked on Realoem.com to make sure. The North American gasoline-fueled E90's all have the fuel filter built into the fuel tank, even the Canadian 323i (which is not a USA market car only Canadian market). The car they show in the video has an external fuel filter because it is a diesel. Searching on Realoem shows only diesel-fuel E90s have a in-line fuel filter.

The in-tank fuel filter on the gasoline-fuel E90 is a lifetime part on the North American version of the E90; there is no need to preemptively replace it.

Just a pet peeve of mine. I do not rely on internet videos to rely on for BMW mechanical work. I prefer to use BMW's technical information with is Realoem.com for parts and Newtis.info for repair procedures. Auto Doc should have noted on the video it was for diesels only.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
supadups2k18
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
The fuel filter is built into the fuel pressure regulator in the fuel tank. It is not easily accessible, messy, and expensive to replace since you're replacing two parts at once.
Argh thanks for letting me know. If this is the case I got ripped off by an online parts reseller who told me a wix filter would work in my model. Now I have to see if they will take it back which is doubtful. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0