E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 325i failure to start and other gremlins after water ingress

08-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
MCW1980
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 325i SE F11 525d M Sport

325i failure to start and other gremlins after water ingress

Hi All,

Those of you in the UK will know about the horrendous rain we've had the last few days (or weeks...). Recently I spotted some water in the passenger footwell - rubber floormats show that it was coming in from the fusebox/rear of glovebox area. I have read up on the many posts about the potential sources of this problem on these cars and was waiting for a dry weather and time to investigate. However, yesterday morning the car cut out just a few yards after starting up and moving off, and threw up several i-drive messages. Pushed it back onto our drive and since then it will still start and/or turnover, but then cut out again within seconds, giving a different set of messages each time, including tyre-pressure monitor error, DBC error, DTC error, fuel pump failure, plus exclamation mark or car on ramp symbol on dash.

Today I have had to sponge out probably a couple of litres from the passenger side front and back - the wiring running under and to the side of the carpet has taken a soaking. The car has apparently gone from not leaking at all to letting in A LOT very suddenly. Carpet is out at front and the glovebox removed, and the source of water from the inside appears to be behind the long black rubber section arrowed in the attached image. A lot of wiring there! When pushing your fingers behind this it's spongey backing is wet. Everything above is dry. This is what I have checked:

Grilled drains behind suspension towers - clear and water running freely through.
Car has no sunroof.
Carpet dry at sides and no other signs of leak through door.
Pollen filter housing removed, bone dry and clean, as is the area behind it.
ECU box and surrounding area also clean and dry.

Rubber seal at bottom of front windscreen has some muck beneath it and can be peeled back enough to reveal the bottom of the glass. Seems like a possible culprit, though this is the case on both sides and driver side is dry inside. Car has original windscreen but is getting on in years and miles - early 07 325i (E92) on 126k. I wanted to get thoughts from anybody who has experienced similar as to whether replacing this is a sound course of action with regard to solving the leak or whether I should be looking elsewhere.

Secondary but just as important to that, of course, is the problems it seems to have caused - I am doubtful that simply drying the car out is going to magically repair whatever fault is causing all the messages and failure to run. Car now under cover with dehumidifier running inside. Something big might be fried and age/mileage are against it. Any suggestions greatly appreciated - we were due to replace soon but after 6 years and 70k of great service I would like to get it working again before parting ways.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

It needs to be thoroughly dried. That includes the carpet etc ... check the underwear subwoofer as well if you have one.

Turn the heater on with the carpet exposed for a start ...
Appreciate 0