E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Overheating

08-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
kaw900r
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Overheating

06 325xi I use to be able to read live data for temperature on vehicle but now it freezes up when trying to communicate. Tired going thru the bleed process on the radiator yesterday but when finished all I could here is the gas get pushed but won't turn over ad battery is charged up. New water pump and thermostat installed but I don't here the bleed process ever start or see any fluid spraying back into reservoir. Also could it have something to do with the module over top of the battery?

t/u
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
kaw900r
Private
Rep

Car started today and I pulled codes and this what I got.
Also the procedure for getting the air out isn't working.

2EA1 present, oil condition sensor, communication
2E8E present, intelligent battery sensor
2DED not present, power management, closed circuit current violation
2E97 present, generator
2E84 present, electric coolant pump, communication
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw900r View Post
06 325xi...New water pump and thermostat installed but I don't here the bleed process ever start or see any fluid spraying back into reservoir. Also could it have something to do with the module over top of the battery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw900r View Post
Car started today and I pulled codes and this what I got. Also the procedure for getting the air out isn't working. [I presume you mean Coolant Pump won't run when trying to perform "Bleed Procedure"?]

2EA1 present, oil condition sensor, communication
2E8E present, intelligent battery sensor
2DED not present, power management, closed circuit current violation
2E97 present, generator
2E84 present, electric coolant pump, communication
Congratulations, your BSD bus is "0 for 4"
Since that is how the DME "Communicates" with the IBS, Coolant Pump, Alternator, & OZS, if that line is "down", it results in each of those four codes.

The 2DED code for "Quiescent Current Violation" (too much current draw when systems should be "asleep") is the only one of the 5 codes that is NOT currently present. All the other four relate to the BSD bus as shown in this TIS circuit:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...rnator/oYPEvM2

I would suggest that you check ALL the BSD connections shown in that Schematic, particularly the Connector X6035 at the Coolant Pump, and X13895 above the IBS & Negative Battery Terminal. Something is either "open" or "shorted" related to the BSD circuit for ALL of the components on the circuit to show NO communication. BTW, here is the correct Definition of:
2E8E | BSD, message; intelligent battery sensor (IBS): Missing | msv70

The TIS circuit diagram is "interactive" so if you click on a BLUE Component ID#, you can see "Installation Location" or "Connector View". Here are those two items for X13895 or IBS to BSD Connector:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...xi-lim/SQE9rMY
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/CSyBOJ8n

If you would like a more "educated" opinion on what to check, you might indicate the history that caused you to replace the water pump & thermostat, and also indicate ANY work that has been done in the vicinity of the Batttery (including the Negative battery terminal and IBS to BSD connector above it), Alternator, & OZS (Oil Condition Sensor), as well as in the E-box.

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 08-16-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
kaw900r
Private
Rep

Failing pump/thermostat

Was getting overheating initially so I changed thermostat an pump and at that time everything seemed good and bleeding procedure worked for water pump. Then had to replace battery and all went south from there. I will check everything you listed either today when I get home or first thing tmrw morning.
T/u for responding and giving some advice...
Appreciate 1
Ghibli0.00