E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rained Hella Hard Today, Water Dripping From Lights Above Rearview Mirror

08-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #1
greyguy1
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Rained Hella Hard Today, Water Dripping From Lights Above Rearview Mirror

2006 330xi 70k miles

3 months into my new E90.

Experienced a few water droplets originating from the ambient lighting above the rearview mirror. Very slight dampness visible on the grey fabric surrounding the light structure thingy.

Live in South Florida so downpours are common and today was a doozy.

I'm assuming it's the rubber around the sunroof.

Thanks for any insight. I'm hoping I don't need to replace the sunroof seal, however I just need a few folks to tell me to spend the few hours to do so.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Every time someone uses the word "hella" I think of these lights:

I would check the sunroof drains. Pour a bit of water into the corners of where the sunroof opens and it should drain out underneath. One of those hoses for the drains might have cracked or disconnected.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Fritzer944.50
      08-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
banglenot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyguy1 View Post
2006 330xi 70k miles

3 months into my new E90.

Experienced a few water droplets originating from the ambient lighting above the rearview mirror. Very slight dampness visible on the grey fabric surrounding the light structure thingy.

Live in South Florida so downpours are common and today was a doozy.

I'm assuming it's the rubber around the sunroof.

Thanks for any insight. I'm hoping I don't need to replace the sunroof seal, however I just need a few folks to tell me to spend the few hours to do so.

Thanks in advance.
The sunroof seal is not designed to be fully waterproof, even when new. Water seeping through is intended to go to multiple drainlines. Yes, the seal shrinks and should be replaced (easy DIY), but the real problem is the blocked drain.

In the first E90 vid, you'll see that different models have different sunroof drain-lines. They emerge from the bottom in several places: under the rockers, and beneath the wheelwell liners front and back.

Once you access it, run a heavy fishing line (or weed whacker line) up the lines (or down if you can access the drain line points in the sunroof area) to clear the clog

The second 7-series vid also discusses the drains in the engine compartment below the corners of the windshield. They get clogged as well, and water in a downpour will back up and flood the fresh air intakes, resulting in water dripping on the floor. The E90 series have similar drains.

Vacuum the sunroof area every six months to get sand, dirt and leaves out.

DO NOT use compressed air. If you burst a line, it can be impossible to fix since they run through the body panels.

BMW CCA Member 15+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 08-16-2019 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
greyguy1
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
The sunroof seal is not designed to be fully waterproof, even when new. Water seeping through is intended to go to multiple drainlines. Yes, the seal shrinks and should be replaced (easy DIY), but the real problem is the blocked drain.

In the first E90 vid, you'll see that different models have different sunroof drain-lines. They emerge from the bottom in several places: under the rockers, and beneath the wheelwell liners front and back.

Once you access it, run a heavy fishing line (or weed whacker line) up the lines (or down if you can access the drain line points in the sunroof area) to clear the clog

The second 7-series vid also discusses the drains in the engine compartment below the corners of the windshield. They get clogged as well, and water in a downpour will back up and flood the fresh air intakes, resulting in water dripping on the floor. The E90 series have similar drains.

Vacuum the sunroof area every six months to get sand, dirt and leaves out.

DO NOT use compressed air. If you burst a line, it can be impossible to fix since they run through the body panels.

Thank you very much! Will try tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #5
macheff03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Keep posted on outcome, should check mine before hurricane season
      08-16-2019, 11:07 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General