E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 328xi FAULT CODES & MISFIRE

08-17-2019, 02:04 AM   #1
daneluster47
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Codes and misfire issues \'07 328xi

Hey guys, I need some help with this
Summary: 450k km original miles, approx 257k km on 2nd engine. I plan on making this a project car. However I don't know much about cars but I'm a fast learner, just need some teachers. Can anyone help me through these fault codes?
*note: freeze frames taken while idle; already replaced CCV, SPARK PLUGS & COILS myself but it didn't help the misfire
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneluster47 View Post
...already replaced CCV, SPARK PLUGS & COILS myself but it didn't help the misfire
What other codes do you have, or have you had, that suggest you have/had a "misfire"?
What performance symptoms/issues does the car have: Rough idle? Stalling?
Have you checked for "vacuum leak" in hoses attached to Intake Manifold?
WHAT did you replace exactly when you "replaced CCV"?
Do you have any other Scan Tool than Carly that you can use?
Does Carly even provide DEFINITIONS for the codes you show?

I have complained about the "Faux Diagnosis" of Carly on prior occasions. It's NOT your fault, but Carly either (1) does NOT explain how to use its system in such a way that the average user can understand it, OR (2) does NOT provide proper Diagnostic information to solve an issue.

In your case, you have codes "29E0" & "29E1" which can mean EITHER Too Rich, OR Too Lean (E0 for Bank 1, and E1 for Bank 2). Any decent Scan tool will either (or BOTH in the case of INPA) tell you the corresponding P-code, or give you a proper definition (Too Rich, or TOO LEAN). Do you mean to tell me that Carly does NOT give you EITHER the P-code equivalent, OR the Definition: whether LEAN or Rich? IF it does NOT, a simple $35 Scan Tool that reads P-codes will give you more than Carly in this case.

I will provide details on each of the FOUR (4) faults your attached screens show if you will simply answer the questions above.

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 08-17-2019 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:59 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneluster47 View Post
...Can anyone help me through these fault codes?
Codes displayed by Carly with NO Fault Code Definitions; Definitions BELOW are as provided by Bentley:

29E0: [Code has TWO Definitions & two possible P-codes]
P0171 | 29EO | System Too Lean (Bank 1) [cylinders 1,2,3]
P0172 | 29EO | System Too Rich (Bank 1)

29E1: [Same as above, TWO Definitions]
P0174 | 29E1 | System Too Lean (Bank 2) [cylinders 4,5,6]
P0175 | 29E1 | System Too Rich (Bank 2)

2D06: [Air Mass Too Low/Too High - TWO Definitions]
P1415 | 2D06 | Mass or Volume Air Flow Too Low
P1424 | 2D06 | Mass or Volume Air Flow Too High
P1417 | 2D06 | Throttle Control Incorrect Air Supply

2A15: [Tank Leak Tested with Engine OFF - NO performance effect]
P0442 | 2A15 | Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)

ANY generic P-code reader can provide the pertinent P-codes as listed above. The BMW Fault Codes 29E0, 29E1, or 2D06 are NOT specific by themselves. BMW Software such as INPA/ ISTA provides a DEFINITION of the code, Too Lean, Too Rich, Air Flow Too Low, Air Flow Too High, etc. AND provides the P-code equivalent which IS specific for Rich, Lean, Low, High.

You did NOT say what performance issues the vehicle has, such as rough idle, occasional stalling, etc. It would likely have THOSE symptoms if fueling was Too Lean, and if the O2 sensors are telling the DME that BOTH Banks are too LEAN, then you probably have a "vacuum leak" in the hoses attached to the Intake Manifold DOWNSTREAM of the MAF Sensor, which is admitting "UNmetered" air (air that has NOT been measured by the MAF Sensor) into the cylinders. Since the DME determines fuel injector pulse duration (amount of fuel added to the cylinders) based upon the MAF Sensor signal, unmetered air results in TOO LEAN fueling and Too Low MAF Sensor signal as compared with DME computation of air entering based upon RPM.

So based upon the data you have provided thus far, we KNOW that there is an enrichment issue on BOTH banks, but we don't know if too Lean or too Rich. We KNOW there is a MAF Sensor input to the DME that suggests the Air Flow is EITHER too High or too LOW, but we don't know which.

ANY P-code reader would provide the needed information, so if you don't have one, just go to Advance Auto and get them to read the codes. Ignore the Tank Vent Code for now, as that does NOT affect engine operation and is NOT related to the condition causing the other three codes.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope you understand why I detest the way Carly just gives a lot of junk with NO real Diagnostic Information. If someone just tried to GUESS at what the problem was, they might simply assume they needed to replace BOTH Pre-cat O2 sensors and the MAF Sensor, which is NOT the correct Diagnosis WHATEVER the actual P-code is and WHATEVER the proper BMW FC Definition is.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0