BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

Track Day number 3 at Laguna Seca :-) new vid and pics in post #21

I just came back from my 3rd track day with the M-DCT M3 and I still love the car - this was the first time I tried my new track tire setup and it worked beautifully. The tires are BFGoodrich gForce R1s with 265/35/18 front and 285/30/18 back. This rubber is incredibly sticky and while I got a lot of tire squeal with the PS2's at Infineon and Buttonwillow, it was completely gone with the R1s.

As previously reported by me and others the DCT has a downshift issue under hard braking - My BMW SA is working with BMW NA to figure out what is going on and hopefully it will be fixed soon. Once that is resolved the M3 DCT might very well be the best 4 seater track car ever!!!

Here is the video from a couple of laps at Laguna Seca - in the 3rd or 4th lap you see a yellow Porsche Turbo that had to let me pass

[u2b]<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q3Uv9hoyh4E&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd 311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q3Uv9hoyh4E&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd 311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>[/u2b]

here are also some pics of my track tires and rims:

In case anybody is interested on how thirsty the M3 gets on track:

and for our EU folks:

quite a difference comparing to the mileage I was getting driving to Laguna:

Last edited by sfbimmer13; 09-03-2008 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: added pictures and video to post #21
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Great job!!!
What pads were you using?
I guess it's another CruiseCam mount??
Thanks,
TomK

"Arcadian, I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one down there who's up to the task."Μολὼν λαβέ!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Excellent! I am going to my third lapping day Sept 11. Clearly you are way ahead of where I am driving wise. Thanks for posting.
      08-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
Great job!!!
What pads were you using?
I guess it's another CruiseCam mount??
Thanks,
TomK
I am using the regular pads, and they are pretty much worth one more track day before they have to be changed - one thing I will do is getting either the Pagid RS19 or the BMW race pads and better break fluid - having said that: the regular pads did an awesome job so far.

and yes CruiseCam mount

next up will be Reno Fernley next weekend
      08-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
Excellent! I am going to my third lapping day Sept 11. Clearly you are way ahead of where I am driving wise. Thanks for posting.
you have to come down here to CA - the tracks are just mindblowing - Laguna and Infineon are top notch...
      08-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
M3Rad
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

1:53s at Laguna Seca is a decent time for a sedan on the stock suspension. It can be faster, but watching the video shows that you were driving with a very good margin of safety. Good driving by the way.

It is a shame that the pads don't last that long. The good thing about RS19 is that they're the longest lasting track pads available anywhere. They were developed for Endurance Racing.

I still have 80% life left from a 4 years old set of rears, and 20% left from a set of fronts.

Castrol SRF is the best brake fluid out there. Be aware that the RS19 don't have good grip when cold, just press the brake pedal harder.
08 BMW M3
09 Scuderia
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Rad View Post
1:53s at Laguna Seca is a decent time for a sedan on the stock suspension. It can be faster, but watching the video shows that you were driving with a very good margin of safety. Good driving by the way.

It is a shame that the pads don't last that long. The good thing about RS19 is that they're the longest lasting track pads available anywhere. They were developed for Endurance Racing.

I still have 80% life left from a 4 years old set of rears, and 20% left from a set of fronts.

Castrol SRF is the best brake fluid out there. Be aware that the RS19 don't have good grip when cold, just press the brake pedal harder.
Thanks M3Rad! It was all about the fun

I am seriously considering those brake upgrades...
      08-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Mate, sorry for stealing your thunder by posting the videos before your good self.

BFGoodrich are owned by Michelin, are they not?

On the downshifts, have anyone you have been in connect with given any opinions as to what is causing the problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Mate, sorry for stealing your thunder by posting the videos before your good self.

BFGoodrich are owned by Michelin, are they not?

On the downshifts, have anyone you have been in connect with given any opinions as to what is causing the problem?
no worries M8

As far as I know BFGoodrich is owned by Michelin and TireRack...

My Service Manager has no good explanation for the downshift problem, however they did read out the pressure values of the tranny to see if they can make sense of it and explain the issue, haven't heard anything back yet though...
      08-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
slikk66
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535i M-Sport

just out of curiosity, did you opt for any track day insurance? if so which.. and if not, are you just relying on your current auto insurance? seems to me from that video it wasn't just point by passing in designated areas, just upping the "danger" factor some. great video, that was awesome =)
2008 E92 M3 Coupe (FINALLY) - Space Gray / Blk Leather - 6 MT
2013 F10 535i M-Sport - Space Gray / Blk Leather
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikk66 View Post
just out of curiosity, did you opt for any track day insurance? if so which.. and if not, are you just relying on your current auto insurance? seems to me from that video it wasn't just point by passing in designated areas, just upping the "danger" factor some. great video, that was awesome =)

no track day insurance, I was relying on my regular insurance, pretty sure though that they would not cover accidents on a race track...If I am running with BMCCA or Hooked on Driving I will get the Lockton-Affinity track insurance, unfortunately they don't offer insurance for Speedventures or Trackmasters...

It was actually point by only, it is kind of hard to see in the video though, since some drivers just pointed their finger out the window rather than giving a clean point by
      08-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Rad View Post
The good thing about RS19 is that they're the longest lasting track pads available anywhere. They were developed for Endurance Racing.

+1 on everything! I used RS19's on my GT3 and loved them....they last forever and are boat anchors when hot...

Also, SRF FTW!

edit: So......why didn't you wave to the Porsche driver after he pointed you by? You waved at everybody else.... HAHA.
Enjoy the M!
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #13
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
+1 on everything! I used RS19's on my GT3 and loved them....they last forever and are boat anchors when hot...

Also, SRF FTW!

edit: So......why didn't you wave to the Porsche driver after he pointed you by? You waved at everybody else.... HAHA.
Enjoy the M!
I was too busy not slowing him down and wanted to get away fast
      08-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #14
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Nice vids, good report!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #15
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Looks like fun Rupert! Wish I could have made it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #16
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post
Nice vids, good report!
hope to see you in Buttonwillow in the future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Looks like fun Rupert! Wish I could have made it out.
Nick, we'll meet on the track for sure in the future - have you signed up for BMWCCA Infineon Nov 1st and 2nd?
      08-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #17
attbimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3, '88 E30 M3

I was there all weekend as well running my E36 with the POC. I only remember seeing you Friday I think, but your car certainly sounded nice going down the main straight.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 12:07 AM   #18
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

BFG (yes owned by Mich) are awesome tires. TRM wheels awesome too.
      08-30-2008, 01:08 AM   #19
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
sfbimmer: Nice video, I can't wait to get my R compound tires. The PS2s on my car took a beating at the 3 day track event.

I've been to Laguna Seca twice as a spectator for an IndyCar race (Mario Andretti's last IndyCar race) and for AMA Superbikes, however I never got to drive the track.

Three questions: Going into turn 2 at the end of the front stretch it looked as if you were going in narrow (not far right), it doesn't seem like that would be the fastest line, however I'm guessing it probably is; is there a reason going into turn 2 from the middle of the track is preferred. Serious question, not being critical.

Second question, the last corner before the front stretch it sounds like you were using 2nd gear, were you using 2nd gear anywhere else, like the top of the corkscrew?

Last question, did you notice the dct upshift shifting delay to effect you in any way, I personally didn't find it to be any factor in my 3 day school I just completed. I was able to use the shift lights in my perifial vision to determine shift points for upshifting without having to even look directly at the tach. What technique did you use?
      09-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #20
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
sfbimmer: Nice video, I can't wait to get my R compound tires. The PS2s on my car took a beating at the 3 day track event.

I've been to Laguna Seca twice as a spectator for an IndyCar race (Mario Andretti's last IndyCar race) and for AMA Superbikes, however I never got to drive the track.

Three questions: Going into turn 2 at the end of the front stretch it looked as if you were going in narrow (not far right), it doesn't seem like that would be the fastest line, however I'm guessing it probably is; is there a reason going into turn 2 from the middle of the track is preferred. Serious question, not being critical.

Second question, the last corner before the front stretch it sounds like you were using 2nd gear, were you using 2nd gear anywhere else, like the top of the corkscrew?

Last question, did you notice the dct upshift shifting delay to effect you in any way, I personally didn't find it to be any factor in my 3 day school I just completed. I was able to use the shift lights in my perifial vision to determine shift points for upshifting without having to even look directly at the tach. What technique did you use?
Hi skierman64,

you are correct about turn 2 - I took the non ideal line thru there everytime...I will have an instructor with me this Friday at Laguna and post videos - hopefully with the correct line - early next week

I used second gear at turn 11 and turn 8 (top of the corkscrew)

upshift delay? what upshift delay I got so used to the sound the engine makes that I hit the upshift points dead on 99% of the time and the shift lights in my peripheral vision also helped - the real issue is the downshift, as discussed before...can't wait for the update, which according to my service manager should be available mid September
      09-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #21
sfbimmer13
United_States
Rep

here are some additional pictures and a video from a spectator perspective of the cork screw

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WdlrR7UUwWM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WdlrR7UUwWM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

I love the sound of my car when it is flying by :-) :-)

09-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #22
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Rupert!! You are making me so jealous that I did not go that weekend...i was too burnt out from Infineon and Thunerhill the week prior!!

Nothing better than TMR at Laguna....I had a blast when i went there with them back in May.

Anyhow, great vid....and I want to hear all about your track set up...will be calling you.

Did you get a ave lap time off your vid? I did not have a chance to check. I bet with your tire setup...the M must have been amazing through the corkscrew.

By the way, the pic in my sig....can you guess what turn that is at Laguna?

2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded

Last edited by DJ9; 09-03-2008 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0