Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK EV Range as the Weather Chills

10-28-2019, 06:27 PM   #1
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

EV Range as the Weather Chills

330e users... How's the EV range, now that the weather is cooling down in the UK?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 03:18 AM   #2
Bumble
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series. Aiudi Q3

Wait till we are into the deep freeze months. If you are not at home with the facility of a house hook up, how much juice does it take to get the interior bearable and how many tins of de-icer do you need ?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 03:59 AM   #3
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Can't wait to set mine to Costa del Sol and rinse 90% of my charge
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
330e users... How's the EV range, now that the weather is cooling down in the UK?
Not much of a difference so far. Mine was indicating 22 miles this morning (about 6C) but I still got 32 miles on my office commute (which is about average). It currently says 29 miles of range having been charged back up (currently 12C in Bracknell). Will be more interesting if/when it gets really cold I'm guessing...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
Burnzie’s BM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky6 View Post
Not much of a difference so far. Mine was indicating 22 miles this morning (about 6C) but I still got 32 miles on my office commute (which is about average). It currently says 29 miles of range having been charged back up (currently 12C in Bracknell). Will be more interesting if/when it gets really cold I'm guessing...
Tricky,

What driving mode did you have it on s as I’m probably only getting 24 in electric and hybrid modes alone.?

No real heavy driving either and 3/4 of that is motorway 70mph
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Just wondering... We are already into frosts up here, snow on the mountains. Getting curious to how much freezing weather knocks the range. Will have to be more patient.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #7
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzie's BM View Post
Quote:
Tricky,

What driving mode did you have it on s as I'm probably only getting 24 in electric and hybrid modes alone.?

No real heavy driving either and 3/4 of that is motorway 70mph
I just sit in the inside lane doing 60 in Eco Pro mode, it makes a big difference as the car won't sit in electric at 70 in Hybrid/Eco Pro, unless you put into full Electric, I think it tops out at 68.

My journey is 80% motorway (M4 from Hungerford junction to A329M junction), 15% fast A roads (60MPH) that are quite undulating and then a small amount of 30mph at both ends. I've reliably got between 31 and 35 electric miles on this journey.

One thing to note, which version of iDrive are you running? I got an upgrade to 07.2019.55 when my brake fluid service issue was resolved a couple of weeks ago. I saw a 2 mile increase in the predicted range after this.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:20 AM   #8
Burnzie’s BM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2019

Quote:
I just sit in the inside lane doing 60 in Eco Pro mode, it makes a big difference as the car won't sit in electric at 70 in Hybrid/Eco Pro, unless you put into full Electric, I think it tops out at 68.

My journey is 80% motorway (M4 from Hungerford junction to A329M junction), 15% fast A roads (60MPH) that are quite undulating and then a small amount of 30mph at both ends. I've reliably got between 31 and 35 electric miles on this journey.

One thing to note, which version of iDrive are you running? I got an upgrade to 07.2019.55 when my brake fluid service issue was resolved a couple of weeks ago. I saw a 2 mile increase in the predicted range after this.
Thanks for the info.

I’ve noticed that in Eco Pro Mode the needle only goes into the charge zone when breaking where the standard Hybrid mode the needle goes into the charge zone when coasting with foot off the peddle.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 03:53 AM   #9
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnzieÂ’s BM View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the info.

I’ve noticed that in Eco Pro Mode the needle only goes into the charge zone when breaking where the standard Hybrid mode the needle goes into the charge zone when coasting with foot off the peddle.
It's variable, if you've got a sat nav route planned then mine will brake a bit when coming towards a slower speed limit, approaching junctions and roundabouts and when a car in front is slowing down. Even on Eco Pro. It also seems to do this without a sat nav route at times. Haven't quite worked it out. I do have the Driver Assist which maybe something to do with it!?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:17 AM   #10
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
It's variable, if you've got a sat nav route planned then mine will brake a bit when coming towards a slower speed limit, approaching junctions and roundabouts and when a car in front is slowing down. Even on Eco Pro. It also seems to do this without a sat nav route at times. Haven't quite worked it out. I do have the Driver Assist which maybe something to do with it!?
The 330e loaner I had for the day didn't have Driver Assist and I felt the same strange sensation. Quite unnerving at times when approaching roundabouts and it felt like I had to press really hard on the brake for anything to happen!
Appreciate 0