BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions scroll through presets

10-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
drtbar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550

scroll through presets

I've had my car (2018 M550) about a week, and I'm frustrated that there isn't a way to scroll through my presets, either satellite or terrestrial radio or both.

I assumed there would be a way to do so on the steering wheel, and the right thumbwheel seemed the most logical, but I really don't see much that the right thumbwheel does other than scroll through recent calls in the HUD.

I've read through the manual and through post after post after post and cannot find another way, other than to push the preset button (1-7) on the dash.

The idrive control next to the shifter only goes through each individual station, not through my presets set in 1-7.

The car does so many things to keep your eyes on the road and hands on the steering wheel, but this simple task does not seem possible.

Please tell me there is another way!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
I agree with your frustration. I feel the same way about it and don't understand why they didn't give us the ability to do that.

You can cycle through channels/stations (XM or radio) all day long with the right thumbwheel, however, you cannot cycle through the presets thus basically making it useless for me.

Who wants to sit there and cycle through every single channel/station with the thumbwheel when you can just hit the preset button on the dash?

Even my 2014 3 series allowed me to cycle through my radio presets using the right thumbwheel on the steering wheel so I've been perplexed why I can't do it on my newer G30.

You can cycle through your favorite stations/channels with the iDrive controller though. Those are different than your presets that are numbered on the dash (unless you have them saved/favorited in the same order 1-9 or whatever the presets go to). You have to favorite them in the media section of iDrive and that's also kind of a pain because that screen that you have to be on to cycle through them is completely different than what I'm on 95% of the time so I have to cycle between different things just to scroll through those favorites.

Apologize for the lengthy response. It's hard to try and explain what I'm talking about unless you know what I'm referring to.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 10-31-2019 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbar View Post
I've had my car (2018 M550) about a week, and I'm frustrated that there isn't a way to scroll through my presets, either satellite or terrestrial radio or both.

I assumed there would be a way to do so on the steering wheel, and the right thumbwheel seemed the most logical, but I really don't see much that the right thumbwheel does other than scroll through recent calls in the HUD.

I've read through the manual and through post after post after post and cannot find another way, other than to push the preset button (1-7) on the dash.

The idrive control next to the shifter only goes through each individual station, not through my presets set in 1-7.

The car does so many things to keep your eyes on the road and hands on the steering wheel, but this simple task does not seem possible.

Please tell me there is another way!
There are several ways.

The easiest is to push the mic button and say "presets". They will then come up and you can scroll through them with the thumbwheel on the steering wheel.

If you press the IDrive button for media (upper left sometimes twice) the top option that will appear is presets. Press the Idrive controller button and the presets will come forward.

You can also use one of the seven buttons to bring up the presets. Once you get to the presets option on the Idrive controller, push one of the buttons and hold it down to select that feature. Now that button will bring up the presets. Personally, I don't see the point to "wasting" a memory button when there are other, easy ways to get there.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      10-31-2019, 06:19 PM   #4
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
There are several ways.

The easiest is to push the mic button and say "presets". They will then come up and you can scroll through them with the thumbwheel on the steering wheel.

If you press the IDrive button for media (upper left sometimes twice) the top option that will appear is presets. Press the Idrive controller button and the presets will come forward.

You can also use one of the seven buttons to bring up the presets. Once you get to the presets option on the Idrive controller, push one of the buttons and hold it down to select that feature. Now that button will bring up the presets. Personally, I don't see the point to "wasting" a memory button when there are other, easy ways to get there.
I didn't know about this. I'm going to have to test it out. I was baffled that this didn't exist in my G30, yet it was available on an older 330i. Thanks!

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
drtbar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550

Quote:
There are several ways.

OMG thank you so much for this!!! Works awesome!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 05:13 AM   #6
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

When you press the Media button next to the iDrive controller, choose the Saved Stations option. Then the thumb wheel controller will scroll through your pre-sets.

This is irrespective of what is showing on the iDrive screen.

Of course, the thumb wheel operations change if you were using, say, Spotify or playing a CD(!) etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 05:18 AM   #7
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

Actually, I must say the voice controls are pretty good... I've never been a fan in the past but have recently started using them more.

Especially far searching navigation addresses, saying 'CostCo Watford' or ' Southampton university' instead of typing in the postcode, etc, works amazingly well!
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      11-01-2019, 09:02 AM   #8
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
Actually, I must say the voice controls are pretty good... I've never been a fan in the past but have recently started using them more.

Especially far searching navigation addresses, saying 'CostCo Watford' or ' Southampton university' instead of typing in the postcode, etc, works amazingly well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post

Just hit presets on idrive knob. All presets will scroll in hud. Never had a problem with this.
Appreciate 1
Warp Ten643.50
      11-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #9
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Just hit presets on idrive knob. All presets will scroll in hud. Never had a problem with this.
I'm in the same boat. I just go to Presets one way or another then spin the iDrive control knob. Never had a problem being able to scroll through presets and I do it without looking for my three-to-five most used stations. Only oddity is that each time the car starts up the first click of the knob doesn't do anything. After that each click moves one station. But I am simply used to it. --Bob
      11-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Just an FYI...I think part of the issue is misunderstanding what the 8 buttons are. They aren't really "preset" buttons. They are "programmable" buttons that can be used for way more things than radio stations.

I think what others suggested in the last couple of posts before this one...once you save your am/fm/satellite radio stations in iDrive (actual presets)...you can them call them up using Voice Commands, or scroll through them in iDrive if you select MEDIA.

On my 2013 f06, I can save up to 40 radio stations in presets. This allows me to scroll through them using the iDrive controller or the scroll button on the steering wheel (when I have "radio" selected (which I believe is the MEDIA button on your model). Then I also SAVED my presets (aka saved stations) to programmable button #1...which again, if I select that button, then I can use the scroll button on the steering wheel.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Just an FYI...I think part of the issue is misunderstanding what the 8 buttons are. They aren't really "preset" buttons. They are "programmable" buttons that can be used for way more things than radio stations.

I think what others suggested in the last couple of posts before this one...once you save your am/fm/satellite radio stations in iDrive (actual presets)...you can them call them up using Voice Commands, or scroll through them in iDrive if you select MEDIA.

On my 2013 f06, I can save up to 40 radio stations in presets. This allows me to scroll through them using the iDrive controller or the scroll button on the steering wheel (when I have "radio" selected (which I believe is the MEDIA button on your model). Then I also SAVED my presets (aka saved stations) to programmable button #1...which again, if I select that button, then I can use the scroll button on the steering wheel.
Exactly. Save the memory buttons for actions that would otherwise require you to take your eyes of the road or make multiple steps to take an action. I will give you another example: you can program one of the buttons to set the navigation to take you home; but you can also touch the mic button and say "go home" and save the programmable button for something else.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #12
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly. Save the memory buttons for actions that would otherwise require you to take your eyes of the road or make multiple steps to take an action. I will give you another example: you can program one of the buttons to set the navigation to take you home; but you can also touch the mic button and say "go home" and save the programmable button for something else.
Quote:
Quote:

I use my 1 to 8 buttons for
1) hidden ac dial hot-cold
2) tire pressure
3) home address
4) seat comfort (massage)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

^^^ My 1-8 programmable buttons are assigned as follows:
  • 1 - radio presets
  • 2 - climate screen that goes directly to park-car ventilation selection (to help not have summer AC stink/funk)
  • 3 - split screen that shows: Nav & OBC info
  • 4 - split screen that shows: Nav & Entertainment info
  • 5 - TMPS display
  • 6 - Sport Display
  • 7 - blank
  • 8 - Navigate "to home"

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 05:06 AM   #14
nrh1703
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Pressing the Mode button on the steering wheel or centre console cycles through the media sources. Radio presets is one of the available sources, from there you can scroll through them. I typically use the steering wheel button and scroll through them on the HUD.

Only annoyance is that you can't scroll up from the first preset and loop to the last one.
Appreciate 0