E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Aftermarket tail light errors

11-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #1
Tekeguy
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Aftermarket tail light errors

I have a 2007 328i and I have been having an intermittent problem with aftermarket tail lights that have led tubes. They worked great for several years but would throw errors every now and then that seemed to be related to the outer brake lights on both sides. Originally the errors disappeared and the lights never actually went out but about 8 months ago one side would get an error and go out at random. I would pull that side to check the wiring, connections etc and put the factory ones back in to check the wiring to the assembly itself and they always worked fine. Since there was no bulb that can be easily checked without opening it up I put it back in and it immediately worked again. Well eventually another error code and now the other side was out. I went through the same process and the cycle kept repeating. Now I don't even bother pulling them anymore because eventually they both work again on their own. Now it seems like they randomly switch sides every time I drive and as far as I can tell only when I hit the brake.

I realize the tail lights aren't factory quality and from what I read when this first started happening, I'm sure it's due to the difference in voltage failing a voltage check. I've read this can be coded out. I've also read there is a fail count that once exceeded will cut power to the offending light but that could also be reset. I looked into coding and think with a little more research I might be comfortable coding but hoping it wouldn't come to that but I'm getting a little frustrated and can't overlook it anymore. Anyone have any experience or thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:34 PM   #2
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

No experience but if the lights had their power cut off from the frm module, it wouldn’t reset on its own, so I doubt that’s the issue.

Maybe you just have to code out the cold and warm checks for the rear lights. You can always code it back to normal if that doesn’t work.
Appreciate 0