E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New dolphin squeak coming from steering wheel?

11-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #1
pjb515
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

New dolphin squeak coming from steering wheel?

Hi everyone,
I don't know if it was the sudden cold today (Been mostly 50's in the day but today dropped to 35), but turning the wheel produces a high-pitched staccato squeak/chirp noise. I had heard it a few times before today but when driving the car for the first time today, wow, quite chirpy. Location seems to be right about where the windshield hits the dashboard, so I can't say if it's inside or outside the cabin. Specifically, it happens when turning from a standstill, for example making a turn after a stop sign or doing a 3-point turn. Driving along the road and turning at speed is fine for example getting on/off the highway.
If it's a known issue that could be fixed with some judiciously applied lube, let me know. I can probably go as far as removing the steering wheel myself to get to the problem area. Of course if it's accessible via popping the hood I can try that too.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:24 PM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Lower steering shaft.
Appreciate 0