11-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G82

Potential new owner

Hey all,

I am potentially going to get a new M2 competition soon, and I will be coming from a standard M4 (modded). Anyone else done a similar change? Would love to hear what your thoughts are as I don't want to regret the change :
      11-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
Harroldv
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyR View Post
Hey all,

I am potentially going to get a new M2 competition soon, and I will be coming from a standard M4 (modded). Anyone else done a similar change? Would love to hear what your thoughts are as I don't want to regret the change :
I have an F80 ZCP and bought an M2 Competition as well as it really is such a fun car. The M3/4 is fast and has more comfort and more space but the M2 is just more fun as it's smaller and more nimble.

I have done a track day with the M2C, M4C and M5C and the most fun car on the track was the M2C and most participants agreed as well on this.

Depends on what your priorities are for the car and if you plan on using it as a family DD or a fun weekend toy.

But the M2C definitely is a great car to drive.
Appreciate 1
AnthonyR232.00
      11-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harroldv View Post
Quote:
Hey all,

I have an F80 ZCP and bought an M2 Competition as well as it really is such a fun car. The M3/4 is fast and has more comfort and more space but the M2 is just more fun as it's smaller and more nimble.

I have done a track day with the M2C, M4C and M5C and the most fun car on the track was the M2C and most participants agreed as well on this.

Depends on what your priorities are for the car and if you plan on using it as a family DD or a fun weekend toy.

Thanks for the info
It will be my daily, so mixed driving....also like to have a bit of fun when I'm out with my car buddies
My M4 is stage 1 and a great car, but as it is now 5yrs old I thought a change is due
      11-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
Harroldv
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 35d

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks for the info
It will be my daily, so mixed driving....also like to have a bit of fun when I'm out with my car buddies
My M4 is stage 1 and a great car, but as it is now 5yrs old I thought a change is due
In my opinion the M2C is perfectly capable to be a great daily. It does not have adaptive suspension so sometimes on roads of poor quality, it will be a little rough but it is a sporty little car and not a ultracomfy cruiser.

You might miss a HUD or some other creature comforts like ambient lighting, nicer Merino leather, ... if you can live without this, no problem.

The car has cruise control, heated seats, H/K stereo, nav, ... it's not basic basic either.

Did you go for a test drive?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 05:13 AM   #5
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks for the info
In my opinion the M2C is perfectly capable to be a great daily. It does not have adaptive suspension so sometimes on roads of poor quality, it will be a little rough but it is a sporty little car and not a ultracomfy cruiser.

You might miss a HUD or some other creature comforts like ambient lighting, nicer Merino leather, ... if you can live without this, no problem.

The car has cruise control, heated seats, H/K stereo, nav, ... it's not basic basic either.

Did you go for a test drive?
Yes one of my friends swapped from a M4 comp to a M2 comp, so I drove his car. Felt good. The plan is to potentially move on to the new M4 (depending on how it looks!!)
I do love my HUD, but it's not a decider. So will be looking at it properly soon and decide on jumping ship

Here is a pic of my M4, which is pushing out about 513bhp
Attached Images

11-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #6
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Hey all,

Have driven an M4 extensively through a family member (something like 5000 miles over 3 years) and now own the M2 Competition

Err, it's actually an apple and orange comparison

Stock M4 definitely felt faster than stock M2 competition. They have the same engine, a tune levels things out but remember the M2 is a short wheel base car and has a completely different behavior than the M4

M2 is a lot more nimble, it will give you a different type of satisfaction than the M4.

One thing you need to accept is that the interior will feel a lot less premium. M4 has proper luxury leather while the M2 has the cheap Dakota one. M2 cockpit isn't all that bad but you'll never sit in it and think "this is an expensive car".

My 2 cents
Gone: E92 M3 | RS3 8V | E82 1M | AMG GT-S | X3M Comp | F80 M3 | Juke Nismo RS | E85 Z4 M Roadster | R58 Coupe JCW | F87 M2C| F87 M2 | F22 M240i | F82 M4 | E89 Z4 2.0i | F56 Cooper S | E92 330i | R56 One
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Quote:
Hey all,

Have driven an M4 extensively through a family member (something like 5000 miles over 3 years) and now own the M2 Competition

Stock M4 definitely felt faster than stock M2 competition. They have the same engine, a tune levels things out but remember the M2 is a short wheel base car and has a completely different behavior than the M4

M2 is a lot more nimble, it will give you a different type of satisfaction than the M4.

One thing you need to accept is that the interior will feel a lot less premium. M4 has proper luxury leather while the M2 has the cheap Dakota one. M2 cockpit isn't all that bad but you'll never sit in it and think "this is an expensive car".

My 2 cents
Thanks for the info, yes it does make sense. Saying that, getting a M car is not about the luxury, but the feel, so I am well prepared for a lesser quality interior.
The one that does bother me though is the power, so I hope I can get that sorted (however warranty is an issue). I initially had a jb4 and now bootmod3
      11-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #8
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Quote:
Hey all,

My 2 cents
Thanks for the info, yes it does make sense. Saying that, getting a M car is not about the luxury, but the feel, so I am well prepared for a lesser quality interior.
The one that does bother me though is the power, so I hope I can get that sorted (however warranty is an issue). I initially had a jb4 and now bootmod3
Crank hub fix and a conservative tune is the cheapest option to be safe

Dinan and a few others offer their own warranties with a tune but at a premium

Stock power isn't bad though, it's a good match for the cars size. Could be better on the top end but on the low end you really don't want anymore. The first M4's had crazy traction loss on the low end iirc, base yourself on that
Gone: E92 M3 | RS3 8V | E82 1M | AMG GT-S | X3M Comp | F80 M3 | Juke Nismo RS | E85 Z4 M Roadster | R58 Coupe JCW | F87 M2C| F87 M2 | F22 M240i | F82 M4 | E89 Z4 2.0i | F56 Cooper S | E92 330i | R56 One
Appreciate 1
AnthonyR232.00
      11-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #9
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
I moved from an M4CP to an M2C and don't regret the move.

As others have said, the interior is a bit low rent but extremely functional. My M4 had full leather which lifted the cabin a great deal.

I genuinely think the M2 handles better than my M4 did even though it's on passive suspension.

It also a better size, feels more nimble and planted and I think it looks fantastic.

Both cars are great IMO.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #10
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys, going to BMW tomorrow to talk figures and test drive again, so we shall see
      11-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #11
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

So Iv left a deposit on something similar to this:
Attached Images

11-21-2019, 09:21 PM   #12
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
I moved from an M4CP to an M2C and don't regret the move.

As others have said, the interior is a bit low rent but extremely functional. My M4 had full leather which lifted the cabin a great deal.

I genuinely think the M2 handles better than my M4 did even though it's on passive suspension.

It also a better size, feels more nimble and planted and I think it looks fantastic.

Both cars are great IMO.
I think passive suspension is a positive!

Hated adaptive on M4C and just left it in sport. Comfort was too floaty and Sport + too harsh.
Appreciate 1
AnthonyR232.00