E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Replaced front shocks... Squeak is back.

11-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Replaced front shocks... Squeak is back.

A bit of background:

Car was still on original suspension after nearly 200k miles. Front suspension was squeaking when going over large bumps (speedbumps mostly). Replaced front and rear shocks and nearly all supporting components including mounts etc. The squeak seemed to go away, but now it's back... I used all OE components (Sachs shocks for my car) and to my knowledge, installed everything correctly.

I've done some searching on the forum and it seems like this is a super common problem with no clear answer. Nonetheless, I thought I'd put it out there. Any ideas? Everything else in my suspension is original. There is some excess play in my steering as well, which is probably due to my rack going bad (it's making noise). Control arms and bushings including sway bar are all original; shockingly, thrust arm bushings don't appear to be leaking.

Some members have reported replacing all their control arms etc to no avail. I'd rather not throw parts at this as, in the end, I can live with it. Just thought it seemed odd for the noise to disappear, and then return so soon after doing this work.

TIA
      11-25-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
aceshigh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 328i touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
A bit of background:

Car was still on original suspension after nearly 200k miles. Front suspension was squeaking when going over large bumps (speedbumps mostly). Replaced front and rear shocks and nearly all supporting components including mounts etc. The squeak seemed to go away, but now it's back... I used all OE components (Sachs shocks for my car) and to my knowledge, installed everything correctly.

I've done some searching on the forum and it seems like this is a super common problem with no clear answer. Nonetheless, I thought I'd put it out there. Any ideas? Everything else in my suspension is original. There is some excess play in my steering as well, which is probably due to my rack going bad (it's making noise). Control arms and bushings including sway bar are all original; shockingly, thrust arm bushings don't appear to be leaking.

Some members have reported replacing all their control arms etc to no avail. I'd rather not throw parts at this as, in the end, I can live with it. Just thought it seemed odd for the noise to disappear, and then return so soon after doing this work.

TIA
Take a close look at your tie rod ends, and also check your sway bar end links. Take a wheel off..using ALL SAFETY MEASURES..and try to wiggle or manipulate those pieces. If they twist or turn easily under your own strength..this can definitely cause squeaking and bumping noises. Cheap to replace as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

speedbump squeaks often are sway bar bushings, mine were aftermarket but squeaked only over speedbumps... greased them again and they were fine
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Thanks all. I considered replacing the sway bar links but opted not to. Since it’s a straightforward job I might do it now.
      11-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
aceshigh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 328i touring

Quote:
Thanks all. I considered replacing the sway bar links but opted not to. Since it’s a straightforward job I might do it now.
It'll be worth it..really easy to do sway bar end links and sway bar bushings..just completed the task last weekend. Fyi..the end links can be done with the car in the air..no alignment needed. Install bushing brackets also..so they are just finger tight..load suspension and torque down to spec. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

With a can of WD40, or something like it, do some diagnostic lubricating. Of note, sometimes it takes a few hours for the lubricant to completely penetrate.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Are you positive squeak is originating in the front and not rear?

In my case it was the rear ball joint that was causing squeaks.

If you open the trunk and start pushing down on the area where the latch is, can you hear the squeak?
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Are you positive squeak is originating in the front and not rear?

In my case it was the rear ball joint that was causing squeaks.

If you open the trunk and start pushing down on the area where the latch is, can you hear the squeak?
Thanks!

But yeah... definitely coming from the front. Any other ideas or would you second the idea of sway bar links?
      11-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #9
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

But yeah... definitely coming from the front. Any other ideas or would you second the idea of sway bar links?
When my link were gone they were clunking, not squeaking.

I would say squeak is more bushing related.

Maybe swaybar bushings or one of the control arm bushings.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
When my link were gone they were clunking, not squeaking.

I would say squeak is more bushing related.

Maybe swaybar bushings or one of the control arm bushings.
Yeah I don't think links squeak. I have zero clunk though my links are pretty gone, I can rock them back and forth so easy. I'm surprised I have zero suspension noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:48 AM   #11
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yeah I don't think links squeak. I have zero clunk though my links are pretty gone, I can rock them back and forth so easy. I'm surprised I have zero suspension noise.
Well they do have two ball joints so moving the side to side shouldn't be that hard. That doesn't mean they are gone.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:56 AM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Well they do have two ball joints so moving the side to side shouldn't be that hard. That doesn't mean they are gone.
Yeah but like, I don't even have to put some torque it and the link wiggles. I thought balljoint suspension components should be tight and almost stiff, at least need a bit of force to move with hand?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 02:39 PM   #13
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I am not sure how feasible it is to remove the sway bar links (if anything is going be flopping around while driving). Remove the links and see if the noise disappears.

With sway bar/link problems, you usually will hear the noise going over the bumps at an angle, that is when the swap bar and links work. If going over the bump perpendicular, little force is exerted on the bar, at most it rotates in the bushings???
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:19 PM   #14
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Yes, and it's most likely that it's the bushings squeaking, not the links. As others have said, it's highly unlikely for a ball joint to squeak!

I'd do as marvinstockman said, and start spraying penetrating lube on select suspension components. If the noise changes or goes away after spraying a certain joint, you know what the culprit is! Just keep the spray off your brakes!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #15
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Thanks as always all. Will starting doing some diagnostic lubricating!