E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Blower Motor Recall Finally Scheduled *opinions needed*

12-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Blower Motor Recall Finally Scheduled *opinions needed*

Hi all

Been pretty quiet on the forums. My car has been treating me pretty well for the last year or so. Haven't really had issues.

But the other day when I turned on my Heater, a squeaky noise commenced but it eventually went away, until yesterday where the entire fan doesn't even work.

So I decided it's time for me to get the recall taken care of now that I'm having issues.

My question is simple: is the fan motor replaced too? If not, how much would it cost me just to have the dealership take care of it while their in there? If it's an astronomical price, then I'll DIY it. But if it isn't too bad, it'll save me some time while there in there dealing with it.

I've read where people say the dealership did change it, others say they didn't. So I'm just looking to see what the general consensus is.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Its just a connector that gets replaced.

Its just a connector that gets replaced.
I took out the wood trim in mine as they scratched
it when they did the passenger seat sensor recall.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 01:04 AM   #3
Clammy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Squealing leading to the blower not spinning anymore is almost always the bearing on the motor shaft freezing up. Usually because water has gotten in and rusted the bearing. You can remove the blower, and oil the bearing (using 3 in 1 oil, or another NON-scented oil). It will free up and work for a while, but will eventually freeze up again. Check for a leak at the bottom of your windshield. That's usually the culprit.

There are youtube vids showing where to apply the oil. I've done it a few times. It's not hard, and will get you going for a while, at least.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
Hi all

My question is simple: is the fan motor replaced too? If not, how much would it cost me just to have the dealership take care of it while their in there? If it's an astronomical price, then I'll DIY it. But if it isn't too bad, it'll save me some time while there in there dealing with it.
The blower motor isn't replaced as part of the recall. They either repair or replace the wire based on the condition, and they replace the blow motor regulator (just a big resistor attached to the motor).

Having the fan replaced at the dealer would result in being charged an astronomical price. If lubricating it with oil dosn't work, you can buy a new motor online and it's a relatively easy to replace yourself with some very basic tools.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
6Inarowmakesitgo!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammy View Post
Squealing leading to the blower not spinning anymore is almost always the bearing on the motor shaft freezing up. Usually because water has gotten in and rusted the bearing. You can remove the blower, and oil the bearing (using 3 in 1 oil, or another NON-scented oil). It will free up and work for a while, but will eventually freeze up again. Check for a leak at the bottom of your windshield. That's usually the culprit.

There are youtube vids showing where to apply the oil. I've done it a few times. It's not hard, and will get you going for a while, at least.

Cheers!
I used a light coating of silicone for the cover at the base of the windshield and it has been bone dry since. I also used a small amount to make sure it’s sealed well to the glass.
Appreciate 1
Clammy321.50
      12-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
Clammy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Inarowmakesitgo! View Post
I used a light coating of silicone for the cover at the base of the windshield and it has been bone dry since. I also used a small amount to make sure it’s sealed well to the glass.
Great ideas! I might do the same. I don't know if there's a leak at the moment, in my current 330i, but my old 328i definitely had one, and it killed 3 blower motors...

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
So *that's* why it rusted, good to know! I replaced mine with a used one from a 2015 X1 that was like 50 bucks on ebay... they used that same blower motor in a whole bunch of different models.
Dealer wanted 400 for the part and 200 for installation. It took 5 minutes to install.
      12-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #8
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

So I got it back a few days ago and no they didn't replace the fan.

I got the replacement fan and I plan on installing it today because I plan on taking my car to the mountains for Christmas and I will want my heater.

I didn't feel any water at my passenger floorboard but my windshield bottom seal is pretty bad. Is there a good way of fixing that?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
So *that's* why it rusted, good to know! I replaced mine with a used one from a 2015 X1 that was like 50 bucks on ebay... they used that same blower motor in a whole bunch of different models.
Dealer wanted 400 for the part and 200 for installation. It took 5 minutes to install.
Mine doesn't leak and it still rusted out and did some squeaky noises at 75k miles.

I ordered a TYC brand one for 100$ and compared to OE seems like it should last longer since now the bearing and shaft is all covered under plastic.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #10
Nap
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

I got my recalls done in June for my 328i. Here is a picture of the invoice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0