Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Flashed M340i with Mission Performance Stage 1

12-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
xacoffeemx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i, 2020 M340i

Flashed M340i with Mission Performance Stage 1

I just flashed my M340i with Mission Performance's stage1 tune -91 Octane version and the power increase is just phenomenal.

It's especially noticeable on a rolling start going from 20-30 mph to 70-80 mph. It overall feels like there's not enough road to properly push the car. I haven't been able to push the car too much because there's a bit of rain on the roads as of late, but I can't wait until the roads are dry.

I've placed the order at 2AM and on the very same morning, Alex quickly replied with instructions on getting reading on the car. By noon, I fully setup with flashing the car and the whole flashing process took about 5-10 minutes. I haven't properly gapped the spark plugs nor switch them out to NGK yet, but I plan to make a visit soon to Mission Performance to get that done.

Alex @ Mission Performance has been extremely quick to respond to all my questions (email and phone), and I highly recommend them to anyone who is on the fence. I took advantage of the 20% off Holiday sale and I'm very happy about the entire purchase.

If anyone has questions about the whole process, I'll be more than happy to share.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Alpina D5S

I've ordered on 26 November, still waiting on my tune to be ready.

I've done first procedure last Saturday, but mine is taking more time than yours.

I went with stage 2 with speed limit delete and burble mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
xacoffeemx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkSinatra View Post

I've done first procedure last Saturday, but mine is taking more time than yours.

Hmm, I would suggest giving him a call to get a status update if you haven't received anything (have you checked your spam/junk mail too?). I literally placed the order yesterday and was able to set it up on the same day.

He will follow up with the steps on where to download the mFlasher and instructions on how to flash your vehicle via email.

I hope you get your tune soon!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 02:52 AM   #4
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xacoffeemx View Post
Quote:

Hmm, I would suggest giving him a call to get a status update if you haven't received anything (have you checked your spam/junk mail too?). I literally placed the order yesterday and was able to set it up on the same day.

He will follow up with the steps on where to download the mFlasher and instructions on how to flash your vehicle via email.

Quote:
Quote:

I've done the first reading of car ECU last Saturday, and Tuesday Alex told me they were working on my tune.

Don't know if getting the stage 2 makes a difference in working time, as you got the stage 1.

Definitely going to give him a call tomorrow, but is always complicated as I'm in Europe with a 9 hour difference time shift.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #5
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
I just flashed my M340i with Mission Performance's stage1 tune -91 Octane version and the power increase is just phenomenal.

It's especially noticeable on a rolling start going from 20-30 mph to 70-80 mph. It overall feels like there's not enough road to properly push the car. I haven't been able to push the car too much because there's a bit of rain on the roads as of late, but I can't wait until the roads are dry.

I've placed the order at 2AM and on the very same morning, Alex quickly replied with instructions on getting reading on the car. By noon, I fully setup with flashing the car and the whole flashing process took about 5-10 minutes. I haven't properly gapped the spark plugs nor switch them out to NGK yet, but I plan to make a visit soon to Mission Performance to get that done.

Alex @ Mission Performance has been extremely quick to respond to all my questions (email and phone), and I highly recommend them to anyone who is on the fence. I took advantage of the 20% off Holiday sale and I'm very happy about the entire purchase.

If anyone has questions about the whole process, I'll be more than happy to share.
Can you help me understand the process. I’m on east coast and I am curious how it all works remotely. With the discount it’s hard not to take advantage of this. Also, I am looking at stage 1 (tune only, nothing else), do I need new plugs just for that on 93 octane?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
I've done the first reading of car ECU last Saturday, and Tuesday Alex told me they were working on my tune.

Don't know if getting the stage 2 makes a difference in working time, as you got the stage 1.

Definitely going to give him a call tomorrow, but is always complicated as I'm in Europe with a 9 hour difference time shift.
Allow me to speculate (key word here is speculate)

I'm guessing you have the very latest rev of software loaded in your car and this is what Alex is working on. I say this because I know all the tunes (Stage 1, Stage2, Custom) are ready to go and the Stage 1 and 2 are just phenomenal (I've been fortunate enough to experience both)

Let me explain what I mean on a very simple level, simple because that's my level of understanding and it took me a while to get my head wrapped around it. This because in my 30+ years of car ownership I had grown accustom to thinking a different way when it came to playing around with my cars ECU/DMEs

In years past cars ecu's could be tuned by flashing them, physically changing the "chip," etc…it was a one step process. However, these days with our cars it is a two stage process:
  1. You unlock the DME (Digital Motor Electronics) – this is akin to cracking the safe and takes a couple minutes
  2. Once inside the safe you have access to all the goodies that you need to tune the car (Stage 1, Stage 2 etc…) – this usually takes about a minute
Once you have been inside the safe you can either re lock it or leave it open. Why leave it open? For me I leave it open because it's faster for me to flash back to stock for dealer visits and then I lock it up.That said the cat and mouse game here between the tuners and BMW is not the tune itself but rather what it takes to unlock the DME (crack the safe if you will) remotely. I say remotely because Alex can always open the DME at his shop because he has the tools to do so, but it takes a little time to incorporate those unlock tools into the remote application that we all want.

This is likely the delay for your tune. Most often a new rev of software brings with it a new combination to the safe if that makes sense. And it takes a little time to crack it for the first time. The number of software revs with the M340's is very high I'm guessing it will calm down once the platform matures a bit.

The unlock process and the tuning process are really two separate items (both are incorporated into the flashing tool) fortunately Alex is a master of both. He is often first to market with these things because he is both a safe cracker and a tuner as well

I hope this explanation helps I assume Alex will be here soon enough with more technical info.

Last edited by chenry; 12-08-2019 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: added a space between paragraphs
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Flashed M340i with Mission Performance Stage 1

I'm not mad about the waiting time, I'm a very patient man. No problem at all.

Of course the faster I get it the better.

Last Tuesday Alex told me from the look of the file it appeared to be an older version.

Just to clarify, until today Alex and mission performance were top notch with me, absolutely nothing to say. Before I pulled the trigger he was very patient on answering all my questions and helping me through the process.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #8
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
I'm not mad about the waiting time, I'm a very patient man. No problem at all.

Of course the faster I get it the better.

Last Tuesday Alex told me from the look of the file it appeared to be an older version.

Just to clarify, until today Alex and mission performance were top notch with me, absolutely nothing to say. Before I pulled the trigger he was very patient on answering all my questions and helping me through the process.
Oh for sure - sorry didn't mean to imply in any way that you were mad. Just used your post to share some info with the forum that I thought may benefit some that didn't quite understand how this all works :-)

Last edited by chenry; 12-08-2019 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: added the word "to"
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #9
xacoffeemx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
Can you help me understand the process. I’m on east coast and I am curious how it all works remotely. With the discount it’s hard not to take advantage of this. Also, I am looking at stage 1 (tune only, nothing else), do I need new plugs just for that on 93 octane?
Sure thing. Although I live very close to Alex's shop, it was all done remotely. By remotely I mean all the communication was done through email at this point and I simply followed the instructions on the email.

It's a two step process: 1) Initial Readout, 2) Flashing your vehicle

What you will need:
  1. eNet OBDII cable
  2. Laptop* or PC running Windows with ability to establish connection with eNet cable AND active internet connection. (hotspot** works too, which is what I used)
  3. 20 minutes of your time (10 minutes for each step)
*My laptop does not have an ethernet port and I had to use USB-to-Ethernet adapter which did the job for me to establish a connection with the eNet cable.
**Hotspot using Wifi connection

Step1 - Initial Readout
After your purchase of the Tune, Alex will follow-up with you with instructions on an initial readout of your vehicle. He will ask you to download a program and connect an enet cable to your vehicle to get a readout of your car and send it to his server. When this is completed, you let him know it's been done and you just wait. For me, the readout took only 5-10 minutes and the break in between step 1 and 2 was about 2 hours.

Step 2 - Flashing
The instruction set you are given will be very similar to Step 1, but make sure to follow each of the very specific instructions to get a successful flash. He recommends that you park your vehicle in such way where you do not block and driveway/road in case of a failed flash. The whole flashing process takes about 10 minutes again, but overall feels like it's much longer than the initial readout.

The two step process is very simple and as long as you follow instructions and have common sense, there's really no margin of error.

About the spark plugs question, it's highly recommended to properly gap the spark plugs and switching them out to NGK as it will avoid plug cracking and killing the motor. There have been cases where engines have failed due to this issue and it's probably better to be safe side.

-edit-
Oh, and I forgot to mention I still haven't gapped nor changed the plugs yet. I haven't had the time to do this and will be getting that done sometime next month. The tune still runs great on the stock plugs :fingers crossed:

Last edited by xacoffeemx; 12-08-2019 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
chenry2346.00
EXE462097.00
      12-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #10
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Can you help me understand the process. I'm on east coast and I am curious how it all works remotely. With the discount it's hard not to take advantage of this. Also, I am looking at stage 1 (tune only, nothing else), do I need new plugs just for that on 93 octane?
Sure thing. Although I live very close to Alex's shop, it was all done remotely. By remotely I mean all the communication was done through email at this point and I simply followed the instructions on the email.

What you will need:
  1. eNet OBDII cable
  2. Laptop* or PC running Windows with ability to establish connection with eNet cable AND active internet connection. (hotspot** works too, which is what I used)
*My laptop does not have an ethernet port and I had to use USB-to-Ethernet adapter which did the job for me to establish a connection with the eNet cable.

Step1 - Initial Readout
After your purchase of the Tune, Alex will follow-up with you with instructions on an initial readout of your vehicle. He will ask you to download a program and connect an enet cable to your vehicle to get a readout of your car and send it to his server. When this is completed, you let him know it's been done and you just wait. For me, the readout took only 5-10 minutes and the break in between step 1 and 2 was about 2 hours.

Step 2 - Flashing
The instruction set you are given will be very similar to Step 1, but make sure to follow each of the very specific instructions to get a successful flash. He recommends that you park your vehicle in such way where you do not block and driveway/road in case of a failed flash. The whole flashing process takes about 10 minutes again, but overall feels like it's much longer than the initial readout.

The two step process is very simple and as long as you follow instructions and have common sense, there's really no margin of error.

About the spark plugs question, it's highly recommended to properly gap the spark plugs and switching them out to NGK as it will avoid plug cracking and killing the motor. There have been cases where engines have failed due to this issue and it's probably better to be safe side.

-edit-
Oh, and I forgot to mention I still haven't gapped nor changed the plugs yet. I haven't had the time to do this and will be getting that done sometime next month. The tune still runs great on the stock plugs :fingers crossed:
You mentioned that you should park in a cleared spot (I presume so you could be towed) in case it's a failed flash. So hypothetically, if someone bricked his car due to a failed flash, who would pick up the tab on reprogramming the DME? Wouldn't that be a drastic and expensive mistake that the dealership would have to correct? If I'm a novice who presses a wrong button when flashing this thing, why would I take that risk? Or am I looking at this wrong?

Also, does the guy from Mission Performance literally talk you through step by step on the phone? Or, is it more of a set of directions you read and attempt to follow?

Finally....what if you need warranty work done on your m340i and the dealership updates your car's DME without giving you warning? Is it easy to flash or right back to stage 1 (or 2)? Or, could an updated operating system update require an update from Mission Performance too?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #11
tjohnson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Garage List
2024 BMW iX50  [0.00]
Does anyone have any Dragy reports for before and after the Stage 1 tune??
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #12
xacoffeemx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Can you help me understand the process. I'm on east coast and I am curious how it all works remotely. With the discount it's hard not to take advantage of this. Also, I am looking at stage 1 (tune only, nothing else), do I need new plugs just for that on 93 octane?

What you will need:
  1. eNet OBDII cable

Step1 - Initial Readout

Step 2 - Flashing

-edit-
You mentioned that you should park in a cleared spot (I presume so you could be towed) in case it's a failed flash. So hypothetically, if someone bricked his car due to a failed flash, who would pick up the tab on reprogramming the DME? Wouldn't that be a drastic and expensive mistake that the dealership would have to correct? If I'm a novice who presses a wrong button when flashing this thing, why would I take that risk? Or am I looking at this wrong?

Also, does the guy from Mission Performance literally talk you through step by step on the phone? Or, is it more of a set of directions you read and attempt to follow?

Finally....what if you need warranty work done on your m340i and the dealership updates your car's DME without giving you warning? Is it easy to flash or right back to stage 1 (or 2)? Or, could an updated operating system update require an update from Mission Performance too?
There's always an inherent risk involved when tuning your vehicle and that's the risk that everyone takes when tuning their vehicle.

If anything goes wrong, you are probably more than welcome to give Alex a call during the business hours to receive support from him. There are possibly ways he could diagnose and fix the issues remotely. Otherwise the other option is probably sending the ECU to him.

In my instance, everything was a fool proof instruction set that I simply followed. I felt comfortable enough to follow that and didn't require to be on the phone to receive a step-by-step. If you need remote programming service where he accesses your PC and does the flashing for you, he provides a remote service at an additional cost. So you're not without options.

To your last question, the tune already flashes your vehicle with the latest update. You can revert back to the original before going to the dealers, but making sure you leave the ECU in "unlocked" state so that you can flash it back to your tune when you receive your vehicle. As of 11/5, if dealer updates your vehicle, your ECU will be LOCKED! You would then have to ship your ECU to MP to get that unlocked in order to flash via OBDII again. You can also specifically ask the dealers to NOT UPDATE any software on your car by all means. I've done this in the past because new updates always messes with the connectivity of older iOS versions on my iPhone.

I hope this helps! And if you have questions, I'd highly suggest giving them a call to clear it up. I am really not capable to give any technical info and their warranty info. He's very friendly as long as you don't ask what a spark plug is
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #13
xacoffeemx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohnson View Post
Does anyone have any Dragy reports for before and after the Stage 1 tune??
Unfortunately no.. and you likely won't see it from me
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #14
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:

Allow me to speculate (key word here is speculate)

I'm guessing you have the very latest rev of software loaded in your car and this is what Alex is working on. I say this because I know all the tunes (Stage 1, Stage2, Custom) are ready to go and the Stage 1 and 2 are just phenomenal (I've been fortunate enough to experience both)

Let me explain what I mean on a very simple level, simple because that's my level of understanding and it took me a while to get my head wrapped around it. This because in my 30+ years of car ownership I had grown accustom to thinking a different way when it came to playing around with my cars ECU/DMEs

In years past cars ecu's could be tuned by flashing them, physically changing the "chip," etc…it was a one step process. However, these days with our cars it is a two stage process:
  1. You unlock the DME (Digital Motor Electronics) – this is akin to cracking the safe and takes a couple minutes
  2. Once inside the safe you have access to all the goodies that you need to tune the car (Stage 1, Stage 2 etc…) – this usually takes about a minute
Once you have been inside the safe you can either re lock it or leave it open. Why leave it open? For me I leave it open because it's faster for me to flash back to stock for dealer visits and then I lock it up.That said the cat and mouse game here between the tuners and BMW is not the tune itself but rather what it takes to unlock the DME (crack the safe if you will) remotely. I say remotely because Alex can always open the DME at his shop because he has the tools to do so, but it takes a little time to incorporate those unlock tools into the remote application that we all want.

This is likely the delay for your tune. Most often a new rev of software brings with it a new combination to the safe if that makes sense. And it takes a little time to crack it for the first time. The number of software revs with the M340's is very high I'm guessing it will calm down once the platform matures a bit.

The unlock process and the tuning process are really two separate items (both are incorporated into the flashing tool) fortunately Alex is a master of both. He is often first to market with these things because he is both a safe cracker and a tuner as well

I hope this explanation helps I assume Alex will be here soon enough with more technical info.

You were completely correct.

Just talked with Alex on the phone, and European cars got the software that prevents remote flashing much earlier than US version cars.

He is indeed working on a solution, and my car will be the first with the new software that will be tuned. I'm very confident that he will be able to do it in the next hours.

Many thanks for your explanation.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #15
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Those of you that did the tune, did you opt for the exhaust burble option and if so, is it worth the $50? I’d be going stage 1 and keeping the stock exhaust for reference.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #16
xacoffeemx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
Those of you that did the tune, did you opt for the exhaust burble option and if so, is it worth the $50? I'd be going stage 1 and keeping the stock exhaust for reference.
I opted out of that option because I personally don't like too aggressive burbles.

I used to have a 2016 Mini Cooper S with JCW exhaust that used to burble way too much and it gets tiring to hear it. It's fun and all for the first few months, but sometimes could be annoying

Maybe you could ask if there is a way to easily turn it off via another tune setting in the options. It's fun if you like loud sounds lol
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 06:13 PM   #17
DEL451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Any word?

Have folks with newer build or update been able to flash their car yet? Or Alex still working to figure out what how to do for newer cars?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 02:12 AM   #18
PunkSinatra
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEL451 View Post
Have folks with newer build or update been able to flash their car yet? Or Alex still working to figure out what how to do for newer cars?
He is still working on the new software.

My car has the new software and I'm still waiting.

Hope he can do it soon.
Appreciate 0