BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #1
Amsa7151
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

2020 X5 MSport! Need help with selections please

Hi guys,

Here’s my build for a 2020 BMW X5. I’d appreciate your input on the selections I’ve made and whether I should consider any changes. Some of the options I didn’t get but considered were: laser lights, rear heated seats (have kids in car seats so thought this is useless), leather dash (seems expensive), calipers (can’t really see the blue that well with my size wheels), etc.

I also was torn whether I should get multi contour, premium package and acoustic glass, carbon black v black sapphire. I like comfortable seats and super quiet cars. The premium package seems kind of a waste but want HUD.

Pleas share your opinions as I have time to change them still!

2020 X5 xDrive40i
Design
M Sport

Black Sapphire Metallic
20" M Star-spoke bi-color wheels
Black Vernasca Leather

Fineline Stripe Brown High Gloss Wood trim

Options

Parking Assistance Package
Premium Package
2-axle air suspension
Acoustic glass
Extended Shadowline Trim
Heated Front Seats Armrests & Steering Wheel
Multi-contour seats
Rear manual side window shades
Harman Kardon surround sound system
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I would highly recommend the Driving Assistance Professional package. Not only are the driving assistance systems worth it but there are some extra safety features that come with the package.

You probably are aware of this but if you get the standard LED headlights rather than the laser lights only the outside two fixtures light up, the inside two are dummies. The DRL's are also different and quite a few folks don't care for the standard ones.

Good luck with the new X5.
Appreciate 1
robby818265.00
      12-12-2019, 09:45 PM   #3
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

Looks good. Just took delivery of my X5 that's a similar build. I have Driver Assist Pro and love it. Rivals the Tesla systems. You should consider the crystal shifter as the regular one looks cheap imo. Lastly, I specd the M brakes as not only do they look better (larger rotors fill the 20s nicely), but braking performance is improved.
      12-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

The M sport package comes with the M adaptive suspension. If you get the Air suspension, then you're basically getting the M sport package for its looks, which may or may not be worth it to you. You could go the route we went and get the Xline with the air suspension and the integral active steering package and come out cheaper than getting the M sport and air suspension.

If you're getting Vernasca leather, there's no need to get the leather dashboard. The standard dash comes with the leatherette finish.

Since you have kids in the back, maybe you dont want the manual side shades. From the 5 minutes I played with them, they seem a bit delicate, and it takes a bit of effort to get them hung and unhung to the hooks.

The only thing I would suggest is you get the executive package. It's a lot but it comes with a whole lot of cutting edge stuff, especially just for safety you get the driver recorder too
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 11:03 PM   #5
Amsa7151
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I would highly recommend the Driving Assistance Professional package. Not only are the driving assistance systems worth it but there are some extra safety features that come with the package.

You probably are aware of this but if you get the standard LED headlights rather than the laser lights only the outside two fixtures light up, the inside two are dummies. The DRL's are also different and quite a few folks don't care for the standard ones.

Thanks! Interesting about the lights. I will have to check them out at the dealer and see the differerence. I have been trying to decide if its worth it to get the lights or the acoustic glass.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 11:23 PM   #6
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsa7151 View Post
Thanks! Interesting about the lights. I will have to check them out at the dealer and see the differerence. I have been trying to decide if its worth it to get the lights or the acoustic glass.
the glass is purely for comfort. The lights are a safety issue. If its between the glass and the lights get the lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 11:30 PM   #7
Amsa7151
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teefive View Post
Looks good. Just took delivery of my X5 that's a similar build. I have Driver Assist Pro and love it. Rivals the Tesla systems. You should consider the crystal shifter as the regular one looks cheap imo. Lastly, I specd the M brakes as not only do they look better (larger rotors fill the 20s nicely), but braking performance is improved.
We wont be doing a lot of long drives with this so not sure how much I will use the Driver Assist Pro. Mostly for running around town. The shifter in crystal is cool but wife doesn't care for it and easy place to save. The M brakes are awesome and may consider. I just think they looks way better with bigger wheels. These rims just hide them.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:08 AM   #8
Amsa7151
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
The M sport package comes with the M adaptive suspension. If you get the Air suspension, then you're basically getting the M sport package for its looks, which may or may not be worth it to you. You could go the route we went and get the Xline with the air suspension and the integral active steering package and come out cheaper than getting the M sport and air suspension.

If you're getting Vernasca leather, there's no need to get the leather dashboard. The standard dash comes with the leatherette finish.

Since you have kids in the back, maybe you dont want the manual side shades. From the 5 minutes I played with them, they seem a bit delicate, and it takes a bit of effort to get them hung and unhung to the hooks.

The only thing I would suggest is you get the executive package. It's a lot but it comes with a whole lot of cutting edge stuff, especially just for safety you get the driver recorder too
Would love the executive package but trying to keep overall build reasonably priced so have to forego.

Last edited by Amsa7151; 12-13-2019 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:09 AM   #9
Amsa7151
Private
Rep

Quote:
the glass is purely for comfort. The lights are a safety issue. If its between the glass and the lights get the lights.
You think so? I was talking to the dealer and he said the vast majority of cars don't have the laser lights. Not sure how true that is and may be just his perspective.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:12 AM   #10
Amsa7151
Private
Rep

Quote:

Thanks, I love the looks of the M package. I have heard that people love the air suspension but agreed that it defeats the adaptive M suspension. That is a tricky one and I'm not sure what to do. Wife wants the most smooth drive and with the kids in the back, I won't be driving it like a sports sedan as much. I need to consider this further...

Window shades aren't great I agree. Porsche Cayenne has them automatically go up and down with the touch of a button. Just need them for the kids, it makes it darker which is great for naps.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:44 AM   #11
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
You think so? I was talking to the dealer and he said the vast majority of cars don't have the laser lights. Not sure how true that is and may be just his perspective.
BTW the adaptive LEDs that you have as standard in the US are already one step above the European standard lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:47 AM   #12
Amsa7151
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
BTW the adaptive LEDs that you have as standard in the US are already one step above the European standard lights.
Good to know!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 03:49 AM   #13
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Where did you hear this nonsense?

If standard LED on BMW is a safety issue then why bother to make it standard.

The only benefit Lasers provide is augmenting high beam distance. Otherwise you're driving around with LED low beams the majority of the time.

And why owners upgrade to lasers are:

1. Looks - maintain the BMW Iconic headlight design versus half halo and dummy inner housings
2. It's fricken lasers

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 03:55 AM   #14
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post

Get the glass if you like a quieter cabin. The cabin in the X5 is quieter than previous gen F15 - compare both to see if you need to spend $650 on the option.

As TurtleBoy mentioned on Lasers, majority of owners don't care for the looks of the standard LED. Unless you live out in rural areas, you won't miss the Laser augmented LED high beams.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 04:10 AM   #15
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, I love the looks of the M package. I have heard that people love the air suspension but agreed that it defeats the adaptive M suspension. That is a tricky one and I'm not sure what to do. Wife wants the most smooth drive and with the kids in the back, I won't be driving it like a sports sedan as much. I need to consider this further...

Window shades aren't great I agree. Porsche Cayenne has them automatically go up and down with the touch of a button. Just need them for the kids, it makes it darker which is great for naps.
You'll get a smoother ride with air especially in the back. You can hit "Sport" mode and the air suspension will lower by 20mm and dampers form up for sportier ride. There's also the so-so benefit of load height - great for making it easier to load items in the trunk or kids! - but it also allows for less step in height and exit - though the air suspension does not auto lower to load height when stopped.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #16
Amsa7151
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
You'll get a smoother ride with air especially in the back. You can hit "Sport" mode and the air suspension will lower by 20mm and dampers form up for sportier ride. There's also the so-so benefit of load height - great for making it easier to load items in the trunk or kids! - but it also allows for less step in height and exit - though the air suspension does not auto lower to load height when stopped.
Great point. I think my wife will appreciate the ability to lower and the kids will enjoy a more comfortable ride in the back.

Has anyone got acoustic glass on their X5?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #17
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
I would definitely add laser lights and M Sport Brakes back in. Both daily use safety features, not just pretty cosmetics (which they both also are). Granted, in US, laser lights are still limited, but a) they can be coded to turn anti-dazzle back on and that's a fantastic feature, and b) US regs are changing so chances are good better lighting modes of the laser lights will officially get turned back on in US in the future.
      12-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #18
teefive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Great point. I think my wife will appreciate the ability to lower and the kids will enjoy a more comfortable ride in the back.

Has anyone got acoustic glass on their X5?
I have acoustic glass (and test drove both variations before ordering). Glad I got it. Noticeable improvement and adds to the luxurious/quality feel. Truck is exceptionally quiet.
      12-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #19
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:

The only benefit Lasers provide is augmenting high beam distance. Otherwise you're driving around with LED low beams the majority of the time.
The standard LED lights were rated poor by the IIHS, so that may be what he is referring to.

The benefit of the lasers are for high beams, the laser light's LED's are different than the standard and rated better.
Appreciate 1
Auricom4349.50
      12-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #20
Amsa7151
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teefive View Post
I have acoustic glass (and test drove both variations before ordering). Glad I got it. Noticeable improvement and adds to the luxurious/quality feel. Truck is exceptionally quiet.
Awesome. I’ve been trying to decide whether to keep it or not. I definitely want the car to have a more quiet and luxurious ride and so the $600 for it seems high but worth it
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #21
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

And why owners upgrade to lasers are:

1. Looks - maintain the BMW Iconic headlight design versus half halo and dummy inner housings
2. It's fricken lasers
well I'm sorry, that's what I meant. Laser lights give you potentially a greater visibility at night in the total dark which could make it safer.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #22
Amsa7151
Private
Rep

Does anyone not have premium package and do they regret it? I could honestly live without the HUD and wireless charging is slow anyway.
Appreciate 0