BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions BMW Connected unreliable and currently down

12-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
EpicWarrior
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520i SE

BMW Connected unreliable and currently down

Hi, my first post.

i took delivery of my first BMW on Thursday, a brand new 520i. Loving the experience so far.

However, I’ve had a few issues with Connected Drive and for most of today I’ve been unable to connect even for things like browsing the digital manual on my phone or iPad. It would appear that the server is currently down. Are others experiencing this, and is this common with BMW?

I’m UK based, if that’s relevant.

Thanks, Alex
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #2
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicWarrior View Post
Hi, my first post.

i took delivery of my first BMW on Thursday, a brand new 520i. Loving the experience so far.

However, I’ve had a few issues with Connected Drive and for most of today I’ve been unable to connect even for things like browsing the digital manual on my phone or iPad. It would appear that the server is currently down. Are others experiencing this, and is this common with BMW?

Thanks, Alex
Welcome to the world of IT. What can I say?

Server maintenance perhaps?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
Hi, my first post.

Thanks, Alex
I’m in the U.K. - just checked on my iPhone app and iPad web. My 3D Remote view gives only a partial image and both the app & web are reporting my charge is at 94% and disconnected but I can see it isn’t ! Seems like they may be doing maintenance and the server is at a crawl.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Hi, my first post.

Thanks, Alex
I'm in the UK and got no issues. My remote 3D and other services work just fine.

I have to say that the connected drive has never been the fastest remote service app amongst car makers. It's ok at best, but nothing special. I use a remote door opening, quite a bit but not much else.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      12-16-2019, 08:55 PM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I haven’t had any issues (if you can exclude that remote 3D view never shows as an option for me).

I use the app a few times daily with preconditioning and charge status.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 09:39 PM   #6
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
I haven't had any issues (if you can exclude that remote 3D view never shows as an option for me).

It's worth mentioning, because it can be overlooked, that your vehicle has a strong enough signal in case you're in a parking garage or something. People seem to think if they have a good signal on their cell phone that's all it takes. It's a two-way street. The car needs to have a good 4G connection of it's own.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #7
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
It's worth mentioning, because it can be overlooked, that your vehicle has a strong enough signal in case you're in a parking garage or something. People seem to think if they have a good signal on their cell phone that's all it takes. It's a two-way street. The car needs to have a good 4G connection of it's own.
Very good point and my parking is street parking in one of the top 5 US cities so cell coverage for the car is great for me.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 06:57 AM   #8
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:
Hi, my first post.

Thanks, Alex
I've been a user of ConnectedDrive for almost a decade in the UK and Germany. It has always come with a free extra called DisconnectedDrive. Nothing to do with signal reception most of the time, more to do with frequent server outages. Affects the car, the app, RTTI, etc. You can rely on it falling over frequently.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:
I haven’t had any issues (if you can exclude that remote 3D view never shows as an option for me).

I have all the options required for 3D view (folding mirrors, 360 camera and remote services) but at delivery it wasn’t available. The Genius checked that privacy was set correctly. I have ID7 Lite so they initially thought it must be that, as the option to allow 3D view wasn’t available in any menu. Due to that and other ID7 Lite issues, they had the car for 3 days and after talking to Germany they did a complete software reinstall. Sorted everything including 3D view. If you have the required options and checked the privacy bits I would suggest you have a word with dealer and have a software reinstall. Good luck
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
Quote:

I have all the options required for 3D view (folding mirrors, 360 camera and remote services) but at delivery it wasn’t available. The Genius checked that privacy was set correctly. I have ID7 Lite so they initially thought it must be that, as the option to allow 3D view wasn’t available in any menu. Due to that and other ID7 Lite issues, they had the car for 3 days and after talking to Germany they did a complete software reinstall. Sorted everything including 3D view. If you have the required options and checked the privacy bits I would suggest you have a word with dealer and have a software reinstall. Good luck
You have to enable vehicle tracking in iDrive first. Please note that if you need to perform the backup camera recall, you will have to reenable it again when you get your vehicle back from service.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #11
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
Thanks! I'll reach out to the Dealer and have it sorted. As I have the required equipment and set privacy settings correctly as well.
Appreciate 0