E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > smell of exhaust in the car

12-20-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

smell of exhaust in the car

I recently started noticing the smell of exhaust in the car, a 2009 335i E92, while either stopped in traffic or while moving slowly in traffic.

I recently had a sound system upgrade installed and asked my installer if they could have done anything. They mentioned they wouldn’t have worked in areas that would have opened any holes. They mentioned the only thing that might be causing it is when playing music, the pressure from the sub is opening the Breather Flap in the trunk. This breather flap is design to release pressure from closing doors. I’ll test this and see if it helps.

I haven’t noticed it while parked and idling, which I have done a bit of while testing my new sound system.

Any thoughts on why I might be noticing this all of the sudden?

I usually keep my car in Automatic recirculated-air mode.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

Check if your valve cover is leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold. When my valve cover was leaking, I sometimes see a waft of smoke from under the hood. And if I have the air on, the smoke would enter the cabin because the air filter is at the base of the windshield.
Appreciate 0