BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Just got an '18 M5, newbie exhaust question

04-02-2020, 08:27 PM   #1
mikelaca
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Just got an '18 M5, newbie exhaust question

I've been trying to understand the M5 exhaust and was hoping someone on here could confirm my below statements and answer a couple questions for me.

1. If you press the button on the console, that's basically controlling the fake internal exhaust sound and not affecting the outside sound. True?

2. There are Flaps inside the exhaust pipe that open when in sport plus with the fake sound button pressed but otherwise aren't open at any other time. True?

Question 1: When the car first starts up, it is loud and throaty, almost sounds like an aftermarket exhaust, then 30 seconds later it goes very quiet. Why does it get so loud initially, is that the flaps being open? And is there a way to have it be as loud all the time as it is at startup?

Question 2: Is there a way to control when the flaps open and close? I'm hoping the inside fake sound button could somehow be reprogrammed to physically control the flaps. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
fahad10a
Sith Lord
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 Competition '19

the exhaust button on the console controls the exhaust flaps brother you can't possibly turn off the fake exhaust unless you unplug the asd(active sound design) cords/device or whatever it is.
when you start the car it's loud as the engine is cold hence called 'cold start' and you can't keep that sound at all times as the revs will eventually drop down when the engine is up to temp.
enjoy and take it easy
Appreciate 0