BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Community Help for ECU / TCU Tune Issue

04-08-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

So I had an unfortunate issue trying to upgrade my flash today, and currently my car cannot be put into gear or be driven. I was hoping the bimmerpost brain trust could provide some ideas solutions before I take car to dealer.

Here are the facts.

1. I own several tunes from several different tuners: DME, JB4c Evolve, BM3/HCP). I have successfully loaded all tunes on car and have swapped between them on numerous occasions without issue.

2. Yesterday. I was running stage 2 evolve tune and TCu tune. This tune was loaded successfully, although that day I ran a slow 60–130 on that file whole logging. Evolve sent over a revised map 2 for better performance. I installed that map successfully using femto. Everything was fine.

3. Later that night, I reloaded using femto, stage 2 ECU flash from DME. DMe was also preparing an e30 file for me. Everything was working fine at this point

4. Next morning I drove to DME dealer to load e30 map. Dealer connected his flash tool to my cAr but his flash tool was unable to read my car. We received some error saying that car could not be identified by the flash tool.

4. I was advised by DME to flash car back to stock w full DME lock using femto. I proceeded with no issues.

5. We then attempted to load the e30 map using the DME dealers flash tool. The tool was still unable to connect / read my car.

6. We suspected it could have been the Evolve TCU file that was blocking the other tool from reading. So I flashed car fully to stock (both ECus and TCU) using the stock ECU and TCU files that were read virtually on Femto using Evolves version of the program. This flash completed and I also cleared codes on both ECuS and TCU. However, on restart, my check engine light turned on and several unusual codes came up (drive train malfunction issues etc etc). I sent these codes to Evolve. He suggested it was corrupted files.

7. I also had previously instslled a BM3/HCP tune many months ago. This has been flashed to stock a while ago. As a precaution however we also flashed the car back to stock and locked DME using bm3. This flash failed because car went to sleep. I did a second time and it completed successfully. However when car was turned on, all codes were still present.

8. At this point DMe attempted to login and reflash to stock using DMe version of the Femto programs However ZWG connect would not identify IP Address. We believed this was because battery was low. We charged battery for two hours .

7. After battery charge, we were able to connect femto. DME then flashed car back to stock and locked the DMEs. This was successful. We let car sit locked for 15 minute

8. On restart, CEL disappeared but all other codes were still present. DMe suggested I drive around and then restart car. However, I was unable to select a gear and drive car or put car into reverse. Car was still throwing same codes from original flash to stock using Evolves version of zfemto program

9. evolve suggested that we disconnect the battery and let the car sit for 25 minutes. believed that this would reset ECU and fix problems. We did this, but this did not fix problems. Car would still start but I was unable to select gears or drive car.

10. Also, after reconnecting battery I attempted to reconnect car using femto and load TCU tune in case the TCU creates an issue (diagnostics on car showed many Transmjssion related faults)z however car would not be identified by the femto tool. I left car at shop. Evolve is going to try to fix tommorrow . Not sure what the issue is. Would appreciate any insight ideas before I have to take to dealer. It's definitely software / tune related in my opinion. Something was corrruoted in flash or something and would really love to resolve

Also, I would also like to mention that Mo of DMe and Evolve are of great assistance! And are extremely helpful to work with during these issues ... I highly recommend both companieS!!

Also Shout out to Brian at above and beyond. That dudes is a champ! I highly recommend him!!

In any event, anybody ever experience something similar or have any recommendations ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

dam dude, i hope you sort this shit out.

please make every attempt to not take that thing to the dealer..

if you absolutely have to, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:51 PM   #3
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks

I'm hoping evolve can figure out the issue

There tuner seemed confident

It's obviously something odd in the flashing

Something was corrupted

The odd thing is that everything loaded fine in the morning ... not sure what happened that cause the issue
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

Here are some of the super crazy codes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #5
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

A lot of them are the ESG, which is the TCU.

I still think it's TCU related
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Man, that's weird.
I hope you will get it resolved.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #7
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

Meee toooo lol
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 01:00 AM   #8
KBM5
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Man Sorry to hear you are going through that. Read through it, in my opinion the best thing is to have the guys at evolve sit down with the car, clear ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING out, and reflash the car as if it was new. They possibly have some tools that should be able to dive deeper in the software and clear some corrupted cache possibly which could possibly creating all of this.

Regardless please let us know of the outcome! I'll share this around canadian tuners and the north american community abd let you know if anyone has some valuable input on the situation.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 05:40 AM   #9
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbennis View Post
Man Sorry to hear you are going through that. Read through it, in my opinion the best thing is to have the guys at evolve sit down with the car, clear ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING out, and reflash the car as if it was new. They possibly have some tools that should be able to dive deeper in the software and clear some corrupted cache possibly which could possibly creating all of this.

Regardless please let us know of the outcome! I'll share this around canadian tuners and the north american community abd let you know if anyone has some valuable input on the situation.

Best of luck!
Thank you! I'll suggest that to them, and let me know if anyone in the tune community has any suggestions. I will hopefully know a little more soon!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 09:01 AM   #10
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about your situation but yes looks like all EGS/TCU related codes

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 11:09 AM   #11
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

All fixed !!

Yay

Thanks evolve

I still can't seem to get my
Car to read/connect on autotube to flash e30 map.

It won't read

Any idea how to fix ?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      04-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #12
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

Well sorta fixed

So at recommendation of shop I did a spirited run later. I did a 60-130 pull and everything was fine .

Turned around and did another

Mid run:

Engine power was cut. Tacometer turned completely red on dial gauge and a drivetrain malfunction error appeared. Car would not accelerate and power was lost. I had to pull over. I turned off car. Turned back on. Car started fine . No drivetrain malfunction

I drove home and read codes using BM3

Full disclosure. I was on DMe Stage 2 93 flash after leaving dealer, w Jb4 connected (I think on a custom map3). I probably had e30 in tank because I had technically put more e85 in in preparation of getting my e30 map (which didn't. Happen due to all the issues)... any ideas ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 06:38 PM   #13
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Not sure on your problems but a sharp flash tuner should be able to figure it out! What's the best 60-130 so far?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #14
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

On 93? 6.4
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #15
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Thats quite the spagetti mess you have there with several tunes/flashes/platformes/femto/bm3/fuel/jb4 and fuel mixes. Good luck in solving your issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #16
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBA87 View Post
On 93? 6.4
Not bad! I'd love to see someone hit a 5.9s on pump gas.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 05:33 AM   #17
JBA87
Lieutenant
Rep

Car seems to be running good now.

I think the second codes may have been thrown by running the car two lean (too much e85)

Anyways, I fully flashed to stock (including TCU). I ran stock for about 50 miles on only 93. No issues. Ran some spirited runs. No issues

I turned on JB4 Map 1 on 93, and toggled between Map 1 and Map 2. Drove around about 20 miles and captured some logs during several spirited runs. No issues, and good logs (although timing was a little low on Map 2). Overall, however, no codes (other than my CEL for downpipes) and no issues driving.

Added a wee bit of e85 to map 2 and car seems to be running smoothly. No issues .. I'll let car live on stock software for a little longer and play around with Jb4 before flashing back to stage 2 (I can't stand that check engine light) zzz might try reloading stage 2 tonight or sometime early next week to see if that causes any further issues

Otherwise car seems good

I still think it was something with a faulty TCU software load given the types of codes thrown
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 05:08 AM   #18
BPMSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
No doubt the issue was that TCU software was not correct or did not load properly. The DME and other control units were expecting messages from EGS that were not transmitted because the calibration data wasn't fully intact.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 02:36 PM   #19
jjjjjjjjjjjjj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Well sorta fixed

So at recommendation of shop I did a spirited run later. I did a 60-130 pull and everything was fine .

Turned around and did another

Mid run:

Engine power was cut. Tacometer turned completely red on dial gauge and a drivetrain malfunction error appeared. Car would not accelerate and power was lost. I had to pull over. I turned off car. Turned back on. Car started fine . No drivetrain malfunction

I drove home and read codes using BM3

Full disclosure. I was on DMe Stage 2 93 flash after leaving dealer, w Jb4 connected (I think on a custom map3). I probably had e30 in tank because I had technically put more e85 in in preparation of getting my e30 map (which didn't. Happen due to all the issues)... any ideas ?
Quote:
Car seems to be running good now.

I think the second codes may have been thrown by running the car two lean (too much e85)

Anyways, I fully flashed to stock (including TCU). I ran stock for about 50 miles on only 93. No issues. Ran some spirited runs. No issues

I turned on JB4 Map 1 on 93, and toggled between Map 1 and Map 2. Drove around about 20 miles and captured some logs during several spirited runs. No issues, and good logs (although timing was a little low on Map 2). Overall, however, no codes (other than my CEL for downpipes) and no issues driving.

Added a wee bit of e85 to map 2 and car seems to be running smoothly. No issues .. I'll let car live on stock software for a little longer and play around with Jb4 before flashing back to stage 2 (I can't stand that check engine light) zzz might try reloading stage 2 tonight or sometime early next week to see if that causes any further issues

Otherwise car seems good

I still think it was something with a faulty TCU software load given the types of codes thrown
I have the same issue now on BM3 stage 2 map and HCP stage 2 map.

Car running fine on stock map, but any change like BM3 for ECU's or HCP for ECU's with and without TCU all have same issue with power cut and car coming to stop to restart when I push it hard on "sport plus" setting.

The JB4 is not really map - that's why it does work for you and it wasn't TCU related just map.

From my research it either comes down to:
-writing tune with old map made on old ileve soft on car with newest ilevel soft
-faulty fuel pump ( the error code stored in DME suggests that )

@edit:
My issue came up last week with my car being called in for service action ( software got updated to newest version too and I had to recode )
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 06:57 AM   #20
SHITA
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5 2019

i need your help

hello sir ..

i have same problem that happens to you ..
same DTCs .. and EGS does not respond .. i can't get access into EGS ..
after try tuning DME and do test drive to check tuned file ..

i need what EVOLVE do to fixed your problem with this crazy codes ..
please i need your help
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:49 PM   #21
Tak M5
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

So how did it work out for you guys?
Should we be concerned with BM3 following the last ilevel update?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 03:49 PM   #22
DrivesAlot
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
All fixed !!

Yay

Thanks evolve

I still can't seem to get my
Car to read/connect on autotube to flash e30 map.

It won't read

Any idea how to fix ?
Do you know exactly what evolve did? I'm currently experiencing this same problem.
Appreciate 0