THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Stock Exhaust Mods

04-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-Speed Manual

Stock Exhaust Mods

Got an m240i and I cut both the resonators and my car sounds much better than stock. The car is still under warranty so I don't want to change the exhaust system. What else can I do to the stock system to improve sound?
      04-13-2020, 06:43 AM   #2
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Get a canflap controller so you have control of the factory exhaust valve, then weld a pipe directly from the premuffler pipe to the driver side tailpipe before the valve. When the valve is open it's a muffler bypass
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Resonators affect the exhaust sound in a variety of ways and don't usually do much else. Can you pinpoint how you feel that deleting the resonators improved the sound in this particular case? Does it change at different engine speeds? Resonator deletion can result in a drone at certain speeds, which some find annoying, especially in the highway at a constant cruising speed.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 02:08 PM   #4
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
You can remove a fuse in the trunk and have the exhaust valve/flap stay open at all times.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

Honestly, if you're going to modify the stock exhaust......just do it. I seriously doubt you're ever going to have warranty concerns with adding an axle back system or even changing the tips. I just don't see a whole lot of benefit spending time cutting things or modifying the existing system.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2020, 04:33 AM   #6
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys!

Deleting both resonators made the overall stock exhaust sound 20-30% louder and 50% more burbles and pops on discharge. Well worth the $200 CAD!

As for the exhaust flap mod, doesn't it affect start up? I read somewhere the reason for one of the tailpipes being closed was to moderate something on the tailpipes. Sorry don't remember much. Will it just sound like sport mode all the time? I have the bimmercode app and I have left the setting for the flap to be on all the time, but I don't think it works lol. At least no improvement to burbles and pops in Eco/Comfort!

Regarding getting a different exhaust, my dealers are anal lol. I've called both the dealers in my city and they both said it would disqualify my warranty, including powertrain, if I was to even delete the resonators... did it anyways.

Anyways going forward, do you guys recommend removing the muffler or should I do something else to the stock exhaust? Don't know too much about exhausts sorry
      04-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #7
jules_78th
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Cabriolet

Drone? At what speed/RPM are you getting it?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #8
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzzthetic View Post

Regarding getting a different exhaust, my dealers are anal lol. I've called both the dealers in my city and they both said it would disqualify my warranty, including powertrain, if I was to even delete the resonators... did it anyways.

Anyways going forward, do you guys recommend removing the muffler or should I do something else to the stock exhaust? Don't know too much about exhausts sorry
Well you already deleted the resonators. So, I'm not sure what replacing the exhaust will do beyond that concern. I'm still struggling with the idea that dealers think replacing the exhaust will disqualify your warranty. Their parts shop probably has MPEs for sale that they install on site. Warranty claims are generally up to the manufacturer, not the dealership (although it helps to have the dealership in your camp). But, what would BMW do if you had an M Performance Exhaust in place and filed a warranty claim? Assuming the exhaust was deemed the culprit, would they void the warranty over a factory part? Highly unlikely
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #9
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:

Deleting both resonators made the overall stock exhaust sound 20-30% louder and 50% more burbles and pops on discharge. Well worth the $200 CAD!

As for the exhaust flap mod, doesn't it affect start up? I read somewhere the reason for one of the tailpipes being closed was to moderate something on the tailpipes. Sorry don't remember much. Will it just sound like sport mode all the time? I have the bimmercode app and I have left the setting for the flap to be on all the time, but I don't think it works lol. At least no improvement to burbles and pops in Eco/Comfort!

Are you in the Twin Cities area? Both those dealers sound like the only two dealers in the Twins.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
Have you thought of a muffler delete?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:54 PM   #11
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:

Both the Dinan and MPerformance exhaust maintain your warranty
      04-15-2020, 02:38 AM   #12
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climate Changer View Post
Would it sound good with both the resonators deleted?

Also I'm from Calgary, Canada. We only have two dealers and they don't play ball.
      04-15-2020, 02:39 AM   #13
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonM3 View Post
Quote:

Both the Dinan and MPerformance exhaust maintain your warranty
Last I heard, Dinan and BMW had a break up?
      04-15-2020, 07:02 AM   #14
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
The MPE exhaust is a BMW part, so it would not void the BMW warranty.
The deal with Dinan is complex but they have a special relation with BMW (or did?).
Apart from that, it is in the interest of BMW to find any excuse for voiding the warranty because of after-market parts or other general meddling.
Their warranty covers the car that they have manufactured, not one that has been modified.
So, no, OP, the dealers are not being difficult.
That said, I have never understood why one would mess with the exhaust system for the sole purpose of getting more noise out of it. If there were some gain in power, I could understand, but AFAIK the mods that you are proposing have no such consequences. All they result in is noise pollution.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #15
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
The MPE exhaust is a BMW part, so it would not void the BMW warranty.
The deal with Dinan is complex but they have a special relation with BMW (or did?).
Apart from that, it is in the interest of BMW to find any excuse for voiding the warranty because of after-market parts or other general meddling.
Their warranty covers the car that they have manufactured, not one that has been modified.
So, no, OP, the dealers are not being difficult.
That said, I have never understood why one would mess with the exhaust system for the sole purpose of getting more noise out of it. If there were some gain in power, I could understand, but AFAIK the mods that you are proposing have no such consequences. All they result in is noise pollution.
I just want a little more sound from my daily sports car. In my opinion the car sounds too tame for an M Performance vehicle.
      04-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #16
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Be like me and delete the entire exhaust system. All jokes aside i'd just cut the mufflers off along with the resonator. That's more than loud enough for most people.
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2020, 11:42 PM   #17
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climate Changer View Post
Would it sound good with both the resonators deleted?

Also I'm from Calgary, Canada. We only have two dealers and they don't play ball.
Muffler delete is the sweet spot for me. Amplifies burbles. Would love to hear both muffler and resonator and cat.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2020, 11:51 AM   #18
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_otherM235i View Post
Be like me and delete the entire exhaust system. All jokes aside i'd just cut the mufflers off along with the resonator. That's more than loud enough for most people.
Yes exactly, deleting the resonators left me 50% satisfied! I think adding a muffler delete would make me very happy!
      04-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #19
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes exactly, deleting the resonators left me 50% satisfied! I think adding a muffler delete would make me very happy!
Muffler delete with resonator delete is as loud as I would go for most people, going completely straight pipe is extremely obnoxious and very loud, now if you're 20 like me maybe you'll like it. If you're prefrontal cortex is developed more than mine you might just be happy with a muffler rez delete combo.
16 M235xi 8ZF Black on Red FBO: Xhp trans tune -BMS Intake - VRSF Catless DownPipe - VRSF CP - VRSF Muffler delete/resonator - n22 plugs - MHD stage 2+ 95map - Wagner EVO II Preformace IC - Rear seat delete - weight reduction/stripping -FTP 18.5in rims - Hawk HPS front pads - StopTech STR 660 fluid
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #20
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
You can remove a fuse in the trunk and have the exhaust valve/flap stay open at all times.
This is the first I'm hearing about removing a fuse to get the second exhaust pipe's flap to always be open. Link?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 02:03 PM   #21
The_otherM235i
Driver - Autocross
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
Quote:
This is the first I'm hearing about removing a fuse to get the second exhaust pipe's flap to always be open. Link?
You can also put it in sport+, go behind the car and just disconnect the sensor plugged into the exhaust valve and tape it up somewhere out of the way. Fixed
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #22
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
Quote:
You can also put it in sport+, go behind the car and just disconnect the sensor plugged into the exhaust valve and tape it up somewhere out of the way. Fixed
Would that make the car always loud like being sport/sport+?