BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Steering feedback

04-18-2020, 07:26 AM   #1
biturbodieselRO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d Xdrive G30

Steering feedback

Hello guys! Happy Easter to everyone! I was wondering if somebody did notice any changes in steering feedback after changing the rims and tyres-switching from OE to aftermarket parts. I got a new set of wheels 19" rims+Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 non-RunFlat, and I feel that the steering feedback remains almost unchanged when switching from comfort to sport. I need to say that, the ET and J of the rims are BMW approved, staggered dimensions. Also, the rims are BMW dedicated. Has anybody any ideas what is the "underground" to this "problem" ? Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Certainly don't claim to be an expert here but not sure how changing the rims would effect feedback?mu assumption is that feedback or in my opionion, lack of feedback would be down to the electric steering programming.

I'm sure I recall reading an article (car and driver?) a few years back that asked bmw about such a thing and think they said something along the lines of the software designed to remove unwanted feedback.

I guess size of wheel and tyre type may have some bearing on the matter but I would have thought the eps would be the main factor here.

Personally think the steering is numb and artificial. A good example I think is before you even set off and move , if you move the wheel side to side you don't get any feeling about what the front wheels are doing at all. I've got used to it but it's not even close to what has been the best steering feel in the cars I've personally owned ,that being a e39 530i
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2020, 08:59 AM   #3
biturbodieselRO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d Xdrive G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Certainly don't claim to be an expert here but not sure how changing the rims would effect feedback?mu assumption is that feedback or in my opionion, lack of feedback would be down to the electric steering programming.

I'm sure I recall reading an article (car and driver?) a few years back that asked bmw about such a thing and think they said something along the lines of the software designed to remove unwanted feedback.

I guess size of wheel and tyre type may have some bearing on the matter but I would have thought the eps would be the main factor here.

Personally think the steering is numb and artificial. A good example I think is before you even set off and move , if you move the wheel side to side you don't get any feeling about what the front wheels are doing at all. I've got used to it but it's not even close to what has been the best steering feel in the cars I've personally owned ,that being a e39 530i
I agree with you totally. I mean that "heavy" feel when I am changing from comfort to sport, it seems like it dissapeard into thin air. I don't know if my mind is playing games with me, but changing from 17" winter tires(pothole reasons) to 19" would make a difference, or at least the "heavy" steering feel would have remained the same. Thank you!
Appreciate 0