BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Weird Dash Display--Part Two

04-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Weird Dash Display--Part Two

Well, having gotten my left-shifting instrument panel display fixed last week with a display replacement as described in another post, I took the car out yesterday and the center panel display was blank. (Sorry about the rather poor photo). Also the audio did not work and the iDrive was inoperative. Nothing I could do with buttons or controller got it to work. Now, here's what I did before it went blank: Since the dealer reprogrammed the car for the new display, I had to redo my couple of Bimmercode items since they are wiped out by the new programming. So I went in and set the car to start in Sport mode and switched the Auto start/stop function to remember the last setting. Also tried to defeat the driver seat belt warning but got some error message regarding the Chassis or suspension needing service, so I used a Bimmercode backup to reset that back to original. Everything seemed to work on a restart but I can't remember if the center screen was on or not. Then didn't drive it until yesterday.I have not tried it again today but will shortly.

So I would appreciate any thoughts or advice this esteemed group might have for me. Is it possible that by my coding I might have done something to turn off the display? I have had to re-code the car several times due to dealer reprogramming for various things, but never had this crop up. In Bimmercode I can't see any way to turn off the display anyway, and I have never used "Expert" mode. Alternatively, might it be possible that some connector has become undone after the work done on the dash to replace the instrument cluster? Or maybe a fuse gone? It does seem like there is simply no power to the display and related audio buttons. But if so, it would seem to have happened while the car was off and sitting in my garage. Any ideas would be appreciated before I have to take it back to the dealer. --Bob
Attached Images

04-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep

A follow up, which I also posted on another forum: I am surprised that only one person on two forums actually responded to this thread, although many viewed it. Perhaps it was too much of a head scratcher. But I will nevertheless describe what happened. It is possible that that I caused this via Bimmercode, but it is also possible that it was a coincidental failure close to when I was doing my minimal programming. (I normally only code two things with Bimmercode: Driving mode to start in Sport Individual and Auto Stop/Start programmed to remember the last position when shut off).

I took it to the dealer and my SA said they will try reprogramming it but they may have to order a new head unit. He said he had to do that a number of times before. However, it turns out they were able to reprogram the center display and iDrive so that it now is back to normal. They said something must have gone wrong with the programming when they fixed the instrument cluster. It was fixed under warranty, and here is the description of the work:

The R.O. said at the top: "Customer requests check and advise body electrical concern, the I-drive screen is black and will not light up and has no sound.

Cause: Head Unit High HU-H (Navigation Professional) Software error / internal device fault."

At the bottom is said: "Head unit and Control Display do not work. Test vehicle for faults with charger (13.6 v). Faults stored for no coding in Head Unit High (HU-H). Program car and HU-H only coded and did not program. Second session to program HU-H – HU-H program/coded properly. Continue session and clear faults and found no Navigation maps loaded in car. Release/load maps into car. Test drove and tested function of HU-H- all function s are working normally now."

Now, I have had to reprogram several times after dealer service because their reprogramming typically wipes out my two changes. Never a problem. However, after the instrument cluster was replaced and I reprogrammed the car, I not only reprogrammed the two above but tried to program the driver's seat belt warning to not come on. When I coded the seat belt warning off, I got an error message in the car something to the effect "Chassis and Suspension error" and a service indicator. So I went back to reverse my choice on the seat belt warning and it said it could only be reversed by using a backup. So I went into backups and selected one from a month earlier and recoded. The seat belt warning went back to on and everything seemed normal, including the start/ stop being off and the driving mode being Sport, and no error message. But the next day the iDrive and screen were off.

So I might well have caused this through my Bimmercode session, although I have no idea how it might have happened given what I did, and neither the tech nor the SA said anything about external coding as a possible cause. And interestingly, when I got the car back my two coded items, start in Sport and no Auto Start/Stop were still in place so I didn't have to recode them. Dealer was apparently able to reprogram just the one module and not affect others.

I think it is possible that somehow the Bimmercode attempt by me may have caused this but I am not certain. The dealer seemed to think it was a glitch in the BMW coding before. And I am certainly one to let sleeping dogs lie. -- Bob
      04-22-2020, 04:42 AM   #3
Magic-gnome
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2019 530xi G31

Maybe it could be due to a bug in the existing software. Which iDrive version are you running, and have the dealer updated the software before?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 06:08 AM   #4
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-gnome View Post
Maybe it could be due to a bug in the existing software. Which iDrive version are you running, and have the dealer updated the software before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-gnome View Post
I has similar problem with my display, kept rebooting. New head unit fixed all my display problems
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep

I am running whatever iDrive version came with the 2019 car, unless the dealer has updated it. So I really don't know about that. So far I have not driven the car too much but everything seems to be working fine after the software reprogramming. My service advisor did say that they have replaced a fair number of head units to solve this problem if the reprogramming doesn't work. So if it fails again I suspect that is what they will do. --Bob