F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Fridge Freezer Recommendations
GetBMWParts

04-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Fridge Freezer Recommendations

One of our fridge freezers has not been working for a week or so - the freezer was OK at -10C but the fridge compartment was getting warmer. It's now ambient and the freezer coolant circuit has also stopped working.

I've checked the thermostat with a multimeter and it appears OK - the resistance across it changes from 1 (off) to 0.1 (on).

It's a tall integrated Whirlpool unit (part of our IKEA kitchen purchase, so pretty much a budget range unit), 11 years old, so it's a gamble whether it's worth spending money on in terms of a repair.

£300 of weekly food shopping coming on Friday !

So, recommendations regarding manufacturers with a good lifespan and retailers which are well priced would be appreciated.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #2
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

How many of you are there? £300 weekly food shopping???

With alot of things these days, there doesn't seem to be a good and a bad... they are all just on par IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #3
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarlyon View Post

With alot of things these days, there doesn't seem to be a good and a bad... they are all just on par IMO.
You say integrated which might impact the options. Also had some standard branded integrated units in a new kitchen refit in 2013, had to replace both the integrated full size fridge and freezer already. As its rented put some cheap unit in and hoped it would keep going till sale, but if it was for me I would go with a better brand as I think integrated ones seem to have a shorter life based on experience....
Appreciate 1
Watsey6420.00
      04-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

If you feel it may not be repairable, it may be worth trying AO's Repair & Care service. They will offer to repair for a fixed fee and give a 12 month warranty, but if they fail to repair then they refund the fee. There is also a chance they'll do what happened to us:

I used this for my 4 year old Samsung American Fridge Freezer. The repair chap came out and realised that it wasn't an economic repair. So I called AO and asked for the fee back. Bizarrely they refused to refund circa £180, but insisted on sending us a new fridge freezer of the same type. I tried to explain to them that all I was asking for was the £180 refund, but got a 'Computer Sez No' type, so gave up and accepted a new £1k fridge freezer!

https://ao.com/help-and-advice/deliv...%20Care|12_2_9
Appreciate 2
zofinger319.00
Watsey6420.00
      04-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Can you get round the back to have a look? A typical issue with intergrated is that the coils get full of dust (less ventilation than a freestanding and harder to clean). A good hoover may solve the issue. Also, can you reach the compressor? If you can put your hand on it see if it's warm and vibrating slightly. If it is then it is working. If the compressor IS working, fixing it might be cheaper. If not, don't bother and get a new one.

Given you've got your multi-meter out it could be you've already troubleshooted all of this!
Appreciate 1
Watsey6420.00
      04-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post
Can you get round the back to have a look? A typical issue with intergrated is that the coils get full of dust (less ventilation than a freestanding and harder to clean). A good hoover may solve the issue. Also, can you reach the compressor? If you can put your hand on it see if it's warm and vibrating slightly. If it is then it is working. If the compressor IS working, fixing it might be cheaper. If not, don't bother and get a new one.

Given you've got your multi-meter out it could be you've already troubleshooted all of this!
I did a fair bit of online research - got the FF out of the kitchen unit, coils were pretty clean (hoovered them anyway), checked the evaporator tray (dry), compressor does work but doesn't stay on for long.

The gamble is that it could be any number of things : main control board, starter, etc.

Given that it's a Whirlpool unit and already 11 years old, I think I'm veering towards a new FF (and decent brand, i.e. AEG) even though the last thing I need right now are big bills.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #7
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
If you feel it may not be repairable, it may be worth trying AO's Repair & Care service. They will offer to repair for a fixed fee and give a 12 month warranty, but if they fail to repair then they refund the fee. There is also a chance they'll do what happened to us:

I used this for my 4 year old Samsung American Fridge Freezer. The repair chap came out and realised that it wasn't an economic repair. So I called AO and asked for the fee back. Bizarrely they refused to refund circa £180, but insisted on sending us a new fridge freezer of the same type. I tried to explain to them that all I was asking for was the £180 refund, but got a 'Computer Sez No' type, so gave up and accepted a new £1k fridge freezer!

I hadn't heard about that plan/service. Just called them, so now have another option to think about.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #8
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

I don't think AEG/Zanussi/Electrolux fridge/freezers have a great reputation.

Bosch/Neff or Samsung are far better, although we opted for a Russell Hobbs when we replaced the American FF. It was a third the price of the equivalent Bosch so I figured if it lasts half as long it will still be better value for money. Apart from making strange noises now and again it's been great for the 4 years we've had it.

We've also got an RH wine and beer chiller which I'm very happy with.
Appreciate 1
Watsey6420.00
      04-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post

I decided to go with this option. It could be argued as dead money on an 11 year old unit, but for £18/month (12 month minimum) it covers the initial repair, replacement of the thermostat cover (which I broke), any other repairs during the first year (parts, labour, callout), accidental damage (the adjustable shelves which hang on the doors are prone to snapping, so this could be useful), and replacement with an equivalent spec model if a future repair isn't economically viable.

We'll cancel the plan at the end of the 12 months. Once it's been repaired it might run for another 5+ years, who knows. For now it will get the FF working again at a sensible price, and that was the priority.
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      04-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #10
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Liebherr

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
Watsey6420.00
      04-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #11
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Liebherr
Miele for me
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #12
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarlyon View Post

Family of 5; lockdown; multi-buy deals are all withdrawn (supermarkets are definitely using the Covid 'opportunity' to boost profits as a bi-product of limiting customers to 2 of each product).

Yep, we are now hitting £300/week for some of our bigger weekly shopping deliveries.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #13
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I decided to go with this option. It could be argued as dead money on an 11 year old unit, but for £18/month (12 month minimum) it covers the initial repair, replacement of the thermostat cover (which I broke), any other repairs during the first year (parts, labour, callout), accidental damage (the adjustable shelves which hang on the doors are prone to snapping, so this could be useful), and replacement with an equivalent spec model if a future repair isn't economically viable.

We'll cancel the plan at the end of the 12 months. Once it's been repaired it might run for another 5+ years, who knows. For now it will get the FF working again at a sensible price, and that was the priority.
Seems sensible if you're looking to avoid a big spend or running up a finance commitment. I had to replace an integrated in a previous house and what really annoyed me was you don't even get to see where your money's gone unless you open the door.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #14
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Liebherr
Yup, ours has been solid as a rock, that said it can be quite noisy.

The new Haier American style which is behind me in the lounge(until new kitchen is eventually fitted) is pretty damn quiet in comparison!
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 08:17 PM   #15
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Anyone know of a reputable retailer who has any chest freezers in stock?? Been looking for a month now....there must be a lot of food in peoples garages. I don’t want one due to lockdown/hoarding Birdseye potato waffles (got anyone singing?), I need one as due to start weaning two littluns and need the space to freeze their fresh veg etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 01:38 AM   #16
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post
Anyone know of a reputable retailer who has any chest freezers in stock?? Been looking for a month now....there must be a lot of food in peoples garages. I don’t want one due to lockdown/hoarding Birdseye potato waffles (got anyone singing?), I need one as due to start weaning two littluns and need the space to freeze their fresh veg etc...
Don't know where you are located, but Gillmans in Gloucester are a great little retailer and have this one model in stock for home delivery. It looks small to me, but don't know how much room you need.

https://www.gillmans.co.uk/product-l...hest-freezers/

They only deliver to a range of Midlands, Southern and South Wales postcodes. If you are out of that area and desperate and have a way to get it home, you are welcome to have it delivered to me in Bristol.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
zofinger319.00