E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > What Octane Rating Vishnu PROcede should I Run???

09-17-2008, 04:38 AM   #1
Voodooking
Banned
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Astra Coupe SE2

What Octane Rating Vishnu PROcede should I Run???

I found the following information on Wikipedia, and wondered what octane rating of Vishnu PROcede I would need to go for if I was using 99 RON UK fuel???

In the United States, all motor vehicle gasoline is unleaded and is available in several grades, which are differentiated by octane rating: 87 (Regular), 89 (Mid-Grade), and 93 (Premium)

Fuels in the U.S. are described in terms of their "pump octane", which is the mean of their "RON" (Research Octane Number) and "MON" (Motor Octane Number). Labels on gasoline pumps in the U.S. typically describe this as the "(R+M)/2 Method".

Some nations describe fuels according to the traditional RON or MON ratings, so octane ratings cannot always be compared with the equivalent U.S. rating by the "(R+M)/2 method".

In the UK, the most common petrol grade (and lowest octane generally available) is premium 95 RON unleaded. 'Super' is widely available at 97 RON and some large brands offer 98 - 99 RON fuel as a premium product costing up to 10% more than standard 'premium' fuel (for example Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate). Greenergy supply 99 RON Super Unleaded to Tesco services.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Well MON is a lot lower than RON and the whole thing is apparently hugely affected by the exact blend of slimy stuff - one refinery may kick out 97 RON that has 88 MON and another refinery a 97 RON that has 86 MON.

Found this on a racing site:

"The number shown on the black and yellow sticker on the service station gas pump is the average of the RON and MON, or antiknock index (AKI). If the sticker shows an AKI of 92, RON is typically between 96 and 97, and MON is typically between 87 and 88. The RON and MON can vary slightly but still must average a minimum of 92 to have a pump posting of 92. Higher octane unleaded fuels will have a greater difference between RON and MON. For instance, 76 Unleaded Racing Gasoline has a RON of 106 to 107 and a MON of 94 to 95, which gives an AKI of 100 to 102."

So AKI is the average of RON and MON and it seems to imply that a 96/97 RON normally works out to about 92 average.

So I'd guess using 99 premium you are probably looking at an equivalent of maybe 93-94?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 02:14 PM   #3
Dougie335
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Don't quite know what you are on about here mate. The Vishnu system will run on good to high octane fuels. There is no variations of the Vishnu system for different octanes. The user has the ability to adjust the user torque settings dependant on the octane rating used. The higher the octane the higher the torque settings can be. Suggest you read all of Shivs posts to get and idea of what the system is about.

Dougie.
Appreciate 0