Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Replace OEM tires?

05-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
SpiveyCJ
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i X Drive

Replace OEM tires?

I live in PA, my last couple of cars I had separate summer and winter wheels/tires but they don't fit on my M340i. I don't want to buy another set of separate wheels/tires and deal with swapping them back and forth so I got the all season performance which only come in run-flat, already planning to switch to Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Continental ExtremeContact DWS when they wear out. The car came with lame Michellin Turanza LS100 A "grand touring" tires, I was completely shocked BMW would put such average tires on a M340i. TireRack only had 2 reviews on the tires, both bad, and both from M340i owners. And even worse these tires cost more than the Pilot Sport or DWS, at least for end consumers.

I'm not sure I want to keep these tires until they wear out, any suggestions for possibly selling these OEM tires other than eBay?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
joselrl
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e 2019

My 330e came with hankook s1 evo3
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiveyCJ View Post
I live in PA, my last couple of cars I had separate summer and winter wheels/tires but they don't fit on my M340i. I don't want to buy another set of separate wheels/tires and deal with swapping them back and forth so I got the all season performance which only come in run-flat, already planning to switch to Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Continental ExtremeContact DWS when they wear out. The car came with lame Michellin Turanza LS100 A "grand touring" tires, I was completely shocked BMW would put such average tires on a M340i. TireRack only had 2 reviews on the tires, both bad, and both from M340i owners. And even worse these tires cost more than the Pilot Sport or DWS, at least for end consumers.

I'm not sure I want to keep these tires until they wear out, any suggestions for possibly selling these OEM tires other than eBay?

thanks
I'm assuming you meant Bridgestone Turanza? Horrible tire. My 330i RWD came with all season grand touring H rated Pirelli P7 cinturato run flats that were just about bald at 12,000 miles. Also, horrible. The stock chassis overwhelms them in normal driving.

I really want to know the thought process involved in making these decisions. I can understand the liability concerns of putting summer tires on a x-drive vehicle but there are MUCH better all season options available. Rwd vehicles need to come with stickier rubber standard. Heck even give me an all season performance tire such as the A/S 3+. To add insult to injury, the horrible standard pirelli's wore out quicker than Michelin pilot summer tires would have.

My friend's Kia Forte GT came with Michelin PS4's.
2006 E90 330i RWD
2002 E46 330i RWD

Last edited by alpinewhite3; 05-23-2020 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 2
EXE462097.00
      05-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
I'm assuming you meant Bridgestone Turanza? Horrible tire. My 330i RWD came with all season grand touring H rated Pirelli P7 cinturato run flats that were just about bald at 12,000 miles. Also, horrible. The stock chassis overwhelms them in normal driving.

I really want to know the thought process involved in making these decisions. I can understand the liability concerns of putting summer tires on a x-drive vehicle but there are MUCH better all season options available. Rwd vehicles need to come with stickier rubber standard. Heck even give me an all season performance tire such as the A/S 3+. To add insult to injury, the horrible standard pirelli's wore out quicker than Michelin pilot summer tires would have.

My X-drive came with the Pirelli P-Zero summer run flat in a staggered set up. Not saying I don't agree-would have gladly taken non-RFT instead and will when these go bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
SpiveyCJ
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i X Drive

Yes, Bridgestone Turanza, brain freeze, must have been dreaming i had Michellins...The M340 I test drove had the Pirelli P7s, I looked into those and they seemed average at best so i when I received my M340 and saw the Bridgestones I was cautiously optimistic they were better than the Pirelli, but based on what I've read they're worse.
Joke tires for this type of car actually, so disappointing...

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 05:48 PM   #6
supboner
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXdrive

mine m340i xdrive came with pirellie P7 AS too... all bubbled less than 6 months ...
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 03:28 PM   #7
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

My M340i xDrive came with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 ROF but I ordered the car with 18" Staggered wheels. I ended up ditching the runflats and have been running Goodyear Exhilarate UHP all season tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #8
Kaps335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Quote:

thanks
I just picked up my car a couple of weeks ago and it came with the Turanza tires. I found the same two reviews you did. I'm pretty sure I am just going to replace them with summer tires and then buy a winter tire / wheel package later.
July 23rd - Dyno Tune
Appreciate 1
MDO0.00
      07-01-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

Quote:
Yes, Bridgestone Turanza, brain freeze, must have been dreaming i had Michellins...The M340 I test drove had the Pirelli P7s, I looked into those and they seemed average at best so i when I received my M340 and saw the Bridgestones I was cautiously optimistic they were better than the Pirelli, but based on what I've read they're worse.
Joke tires for this type of car actually, so disappointing...

Quote:

Bridgestone are the largest tyre maker in the world (excluding Lego) They know a thing or two about tyres.

Tyres are always a compromise. If you optimise one area (eg grip) you sacrifice other areas (eg wear)

Not every buyer of a G20 expects the same thing. Some want max grip, others want long lasting wear.

It's probably best to try the tyres yourself (rather than form an opinion based on 2 online reviews) and see how they suit your requirements.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
iPetey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I literally just replaced those piece of shit runflats with the pilot sport 4s. I couldn't be any happier. I got 2 nails in a span of a month, and paying 400 each time to fix it wasnt my idea of fun for a mediocre tire at best. Save yourself the headache and swap them out for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 09:57 PM   #11
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don76 View Post
Bridgestone are the largest tyre maker in the world (excluding Lego) They know a thing or two about tyres.

Tyres are always a compromise. If you optimise one area (eg grip) you sacrifice other areas (eg wear)

Not every buyer of a G20 expects the same thing. Some want max grip, others want long lasting wear.

It's probably best to try the tyres yourself (rather than form an opinion based on 2 online reviews) and see how they suit your requirements.

This is generally true but somehow th e stock Pirelli p7 runflats can’t seem to excel in any area- grip , road noise, wear , wet traction, steering feel or compliant ride.
Appreciate 1
Don76169.00
      07-02-2020, 01:55 AM   #12
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

Having worked in the tyre industry for over 20yrs, I've seen some of the development work between vehicle makers and the tyre companies.

Literally 100+ scientists in white coats producing 1000s of prototypes to match specific criteria laid out by the car maker.

Merc will often ask for a quite tyre and sacrifice some extreme performance. Porsche have sometimes 4 different compound types across the section width of the tyre.

Whilst one tyre may not suit one persons specific needs, the car maker usually tries to optimise the tyre to suit the need of the target buyer of said model.

There is then regional legislation to consider. US tyres are quite different to those in EU which are again quite different to those in the Middle East. Climate, road surface etc are all big variables too
Appreciate 0