BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions LED DRL turned yellow?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-29-2020, 12:19 AM   #1
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
163
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: US / China

iTrader: (2)

LED DRL turned yellow?

Noticed today that the inner DRL on the left (LHD driver's side) headlight has gone yellow. I'm assuming that the LED module for that DRL has gone bad and needs replacement?

__________________
2018 G30 540i xDrive M Sport | Carbon Black Metallic | KW V3 Coilovers | F90 Suspension | F90 Brakes | 20" HRE FF10 Liquid Black Wheels | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires | Ivory White Dakota Leather | Carbon Fiber Trim | Executive Package | Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System | JL Audio 12W6v3 and XD600/1v2 | Ceramic Controls | BM3 Stage 2+ E50 ECU Tune | xHP Stage 3 TCU Tune | Dorch Stage 2 HPFP | MST Cold Air Intake | FTP Chargepipe | AA Catted Downpipe | Remus Catback Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:23 AM   #2
AP
Major General
AP's Avatar
2858
Rep
5,154
Posts

Drives: G30 M550
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Looks that way. Warranty job ,I expect these headlights are VERY expensive to replace
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:21 AM   #3
Mach550
Captain
Mach550's Avatar
United_States
473
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 2019 M550i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Tampa Bay

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Looks like it's not even illuminated but only reflecting the surrounding area lighting. Going to keep an eye on these on my car but I usually turn DRL's off anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
Skyrider01
Second Lieutenant
159
Rep
263
Posts

Drives: 2019 M550ix, 2020 330i
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Looks that way. Warranty job ,I expect these headlights are VERY expensive to replace
Indeed they are. The lens cover on my 535iís headlight recently broke and you cannot just replace that part. The entire headlight assembly needs to be replaced.
The part alone is around $1300. And these are the Xenon adaptive lights. Not even the newer LEDs.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 12:48 PM   #5
AP
Major General
AP's Avatar
2858
Rep
5,154
Posts

Drives: G30 M550
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Wow. You can see why cars like these get written off after what look like minor shunts.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
Frozen Fractals
First Lieutenant
163
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 2018 540i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: US / China

iTrader: (2)

Itís definitely on. Just super warm and dim. Iím pretty certain some SMD LEDs or the driver has failed. Luckily, Iím still under CPO warranty, so Iíll just take it in. Looks like you can replace the DRL module which contains the driver and SMDs separately without replacing the whole headlight.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
3087
Rep
4,210
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
Looks like it's not even illuminated but only reflecting the surrounding area lighting. Going to keep an eye on these on my car but I usually turn DRL's off anyways.

Why. DRLs are a safety measure that lets other drivers see your car. They don't affect the way you drive so why do you turn them off?
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
      05-30-2020, 06:09 AM   #8
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
ukbeemerboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
462
Rep
2,941
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 Competition
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somerset UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fractals View Post
Itís definitely on. Just super warm and dim. Iím pretty certain some SMD LEDs or the driver has failed. Luckily, Iím still under CPO warranty, so Iíll just take it in. Looks like you can replace the DRL module which contains the driver and SMDs separately without replacing the whole headlight.
If youíre under warranty, theyíll replace the whole headlight.
__________________
Scott

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 04:25 AM   #9
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
ejlover06's Avatar
Turkey
105
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 2017 G30 520 1.6lt
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ankara

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fractals View Post
Noticed today that the inner DRL on the left (LHD driver's side) headlight has gone yellow. I'm assuming that the LED module for that DRL has gone bad and needs replacement?
Mine has the same issue on the right hand side. I think it's a common problem and even if we replace it this issue will happen in a few years later and this is a huge source of cost. It's totally unacceptable.

Is your DRL turns white when you turn on the low beams? Mines goes back to normal white color when low beams turned on. They are only yellow on the dimmed (DRL) setting.

__________________
2017 G30 520 (1.6lt)
2016 S1000RR
2014 W205
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
LogicalApex
Colonel
2030
Rep
2,953
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Farmington, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
It is a known issue. In the US at least BMW NA has a TSB (Tech. Service Bulletin) on this issue and how dealerships are to fix it. They note the whole headlight doesn't need to be replaced, but a part does that causes this.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...74027-9999.pdf
Appreciate 2
ejlover06104.50
Poochie9107.50
      12-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #11
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
ejlover06's Avatar
Turkey
105
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 2017 G30 520 1.6lt
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ankara

iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
It is a known issue. In the US at least BMW NA has a TSB (Tech. Service Bulletin) on this issue and how dealerships are to fix it. They note the whole headlight doesn't need to be replaced, but a part does that causes this.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...74027-9999.pdf
That's fantastic news. I thank you so much, that's what I was expecting. There is no discoloration on my light tube I'm sure of it (since they are perfectly white while low beams are active), so only the module change should be enough. It's really really appreciated. I've sent the document to dealer, I hope they'll accept this bulletin. I'll let you know about the process. Best Regards,
__________________
2017 G30 520 (1.6lt)
2016 S1000RR
2014 W205
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
3087
Rep
4,210
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlover06 View Post
That's fantastic news. I thank you so much, that's what I was expecting. There is no discoloration on my light tube I'm sure of it (since they are perfectly white while low beams are active), so only the module change should be enough. It's really really appreciated. I've sent the document to dealer, I hope they'll accept this bulletin. I'll let you know about the process. Best Regards,
BMW clearly knew about the issue before your warranty expired (I now see from the other forum that you have a shorter warrranty than we do in the USA; it is annoying that we no longer see the car and location by the poster's name). I would argue that they should fix it for free.

But if it only requires the module change, and if they stick with the 70% offer, it should not hurt too much.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #13
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
ejlover06's Avatar
Turkey
105
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 2017 G30 520 1.6lt
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ankara

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
BMW clearly knew about the issue before your warranty expired (I now see from the other forum that you have a shorter warrranty than we do in the USA; it is annoying that we no longer see the car and location by the poster's name). I would argue that they should fix it for free.

But if it only requires the module change, and if they stick with the 70% offer, it should not hurt too much.

Good luck.
The thing is they told me that they asked Germany Headquarters for the procedure and Germany offered 70% discount etc. There is no possibility that BMW AG doesn't know anything about this procedure and this simple solution.. So I guess there is more to it for the constant complete replacement offer of the dealer... I'll tallk with them tomorrow and according to the solution they will offer I will file a complain about BMW Turkey to the BMW AG.

Since warranty ended I accept to pay for the module. It's a reasonable solution for the problem. But replacing the whole headlight is a engineering failure at the design step. I'm just glad that BMW engineers didn't made such a mistake at design.
__________________
2017 G30 520 (1.6lt)
2016 S1000RR
2014 W205
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 04:54 PM   #14
proe212
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW 530i XDrive
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I had the same issue, they tried to replace the module only and it didn't work, they ended up replacing the entire lamp. Under warranty at this point...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 07:07 PM   #15
Cabbage
Lieutenant
Cabbage's Avatar
United_States
626
Rep
587
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fractals View Post
Noticed today that the inner DRL on the left (LHD driver's side) headlight has gone yellow. I'm assuming that the LED module for that DRL has gone bad and needs replacement?

This happened to me on my old f10 535xi except mine turned pink.
__________________
2024 BMW 540i xDrive Sedan (G60) (Carbon Black Metallic/Black Veganza)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #16
COBodom
Lieutenant
COBodom's Avatar
624
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: 2024 540i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

I suspect this could be Over The Air upgrade to M5 CS style LEDs...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...n-specs-price/
__________________
Current: 2024 540i MSport
Prior: 2021 540i MSport, 2018 540i MSport, 2015 BMW 528i MSport, 2012 BMW 528i
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 02:26 AM   #17
ejlover06
First Lieutenant
ejlover06's Avatar
Turkey
105
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 2017 G30 520 1.6lt
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ankara

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBodom View Post
I suspect this could be Over The Air upgrade to M5 CS style LEDs...

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...n-specs-price/
As long as all 4 lights on at the same color why not
__________________
2017 G30 520 (1.6lt)
2016 S1000RR
2014 W205
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 08:04 PM   #18
FullBolton
Private
FullBolton's Avatar
78
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: BMW G30
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540I  [0.00]
https://youtu.be/F9BUsgURb-Y
Appreciate 1
2022M550i3049.00
      08-11-2022, 01:16 PM   #19
MarkSCD
Private
Canada
27
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: '16 X6M, '18 M550i, '21 X3 M40
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Kingston ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBolton View Post
You're the first person I thought of when I saw this thread. It's about time you join this forum. Welcome!
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2022, 05:16 PM   #20
FullBolton
Private
FullBolton's Avatar
78
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: BMW G30
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSCD View Post
You're the first person I thought of when I saw this thread. It's about time you join this forum. Welcome!
Thank you my brother!! I'm glad to be part of it!!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST