F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Lockdown learning
Studio RSR

05-31-2020, 06:23 AM   #1
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 430d Msport+

Lockdown learning

So the past 10 weeks have been one of those periods of time none of us will forget. But, on a positive and reflective note, what have you learned that will influence life going forward?

• I actually like working from home! I have fewer distractions, a nicer working environment and without the commute and office politics/personalities I feel calmer and more content.

• I won’t be going back to supermarkets. Shopping local for meat and veg is a little more expensive, but the quality is better. Deliveries for the basics is fine and saves me having to meet the great unwashed public (which I hated even before all this)

• I'm more appreciative of my home and garden. I have loved pottering about doing jobs and keeping things in order. The garden looks better than ever and several decorating jobs caught up on

• I have really enjoyed the slower pace of life. I have had time to walk the dog, sit in the garden and watch the birds fledge, the wildlife and the plants bloom.

• It has made me realise that there is more to life than the constant need to shop and be doing things. Im generally happy in my own company, but this has really made me realise making me (us) happy is all you need.

• I'm better off! With savings on fuel and all the bollocks we buy when out and about (coffee, impulse buys etc) I'm saving a fortune, and I haven’t missed anything. Granted the car is a waste of money and my Amazon account has been hammered, but I have been buying things I want and thinking about it more.
Appreciate 3
Rbrown2783.00
gr4z1138.00
      05-31-2020, 06:52 AM   #2
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Agree with the slower pace of life but I could do with getting back to some kind of normal where I can chose to go into the office if I want, go out and about, pubs, restaurants etc.....have to admit I’m struggling with the lack of interaction with others now!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 06:56 AM   #3
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln61 View Post
It has made me realise that there is more to life than the constant need to shop and be doing things. Im generally happy in my own company, but this has really made me realise making me (us) happy is all you need.
^ this. That and appreciating the value of family & close friends and not taking those relationships for granted.

F*ck... I need to have a good talk to myself. Or join Mumsnet....
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 07:11 AM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln61 View Post
So the past 10 weeks have been one of those periods of time none of us will forget. But, on a positive and reflective note, what have you learned that will influence life going forward?

• I actually like working from home! I have fewer distractions, a nicer working environment and without the commute and office politics/personalities I feel calmer and more content.

• I won’t be going back to supermarkets. Shopping local for meat and veg is a little more expensive, but the quality is better. Deliveries for the basics is fine and saves me having to meet the great unwashed public (which I hated even before all this)

• I'm more appreciative of my home and garden. I have loved pottering about doing jobs and keeping things in order. The garden looks better than ever and several decorating jobs caught up on

• I have really enjoyed the slower pace of life. I have had time to walk the dog, sit in the garden and watch the birds fledge, the wildlife and the plants bloom.

• It has made me realise that there is more to life than the constant need to shop and be doing things. Im generally happy in my own company, but this has really made me realise making me (us) happy is all you need.

• I'm better off! With savings on fuel and all the bollocks we buy when out and about (coffee, impulse buys etc) I'm saving a fortune, and I haven’t missed anything. Granted the car is a waste of money and my Amazon account has been hammered, but I have been buying things I want and thinking about it more.
Nailed it for me, pretty much all of this.
      05-31-2020, 07:23 AM   #5
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
Learnings:

- Letting parents move in with you is stressful as fu*k!
- Love the slower life and not having to go to a London/Germany regularly
- Do I really need a car? No, but I love it
- It's taken builders over the road 10 months to plaster the walls on the new house
- Never taking time with friends for granted

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 2
JustChris17559.00
Lincoln61746.50
      05-31-2020, 07:26 AM   #6
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Totally agree with OP.

There are benefits to this. Who knows if she slowly just go back to the way we were....
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #7
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBitz View Post
Learnings:

^ this.....dad lives with us and living with the older generation is far from easy.....!! Constantly moaning about stupid shite
Appreciate 1
RustyBitz1573.50
      05-31-2020, 07:39 AM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Also...the planet seems to recover very quickly if humans stop travelling etc etc
      05-31-2020, 07:45 AM   #9
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchoa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBitz View Post
Learnings:

^ this.....dad lives with us and living with the older generation is far from easy.....!! Constantly moaning about stupid shite
I feel your pain, we have just had to ask what's the timeline for them getting their own place again.

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #10
bishbosh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I'll be unemployed in a month so the only thing I'm learning is what time the chemist opens for my anti-anxiety tablets

In all seriousness I am converting one of my software projects to C#which hopefully will help in the job front.
      05-31-2020, 02:03 PM   #11
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
I'll be unemployed in a month so the only thing I'm learning is what time the chemist opens for my anti-anxiety tablets

In all seriousness I am converting one of my software projects to C#which hopefully will help in the job front.
Sorry to hear that. Going to be lots of folk soon in the same unfortunate position.
      05-31-2020, 02:11 PM   #12
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. My other half spent most of 2018 and the beginning of 2019 unemployed and I know how stressful it is for everyone.
Appreciate 1
bishbosh851.00
      05-31-2020, 02:14 PM   #13
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Agree with much of thst OP.

However, the last few weeks I have been going into London to my office to work for a couple of days. I can commute into London in my own car so no worries of using public transport.

To be honest work wise I have been a little more productive in the office. I struggle with the discipline of working home as I find too many distractions. I kind of miss the daily routine of going to the office and plus I always used to start the day off getting up really early and using the gym near work.

My happy medium would probaly be working from home two days and three days in the office.
      05-31-2020, 04:31 PM   #14
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20MAW73 View Post
Agree with much of thst OP.

However, the last few weeks I have been going into London to my office to work for a couple of days. I can commute into London in my own car so no worries of using public transport.

To be honest work wise I have been a little more productive in the office. I struggle with the discipline of working home as I find too many distractions. I kind of miss the daily routine of going to the office and plus I always used to start the day off getting up really early and using the gym near work.

My happy medium would probaly be working from home two days and three days in the office.
I think there are going to be quite a lot of people looking to work from home for some of their week. Businesses may also be very willing to give it a go - it saves them on office space, on parking, facilities, etc.

A friend of mine works for payroll at a university - there are 6 of them in their office, and they are seriously looking past the end of this, and possibly people to be in the office for 2 or 3 out of the 5 days per week
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 03:00 AM   #15
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchoa View Post
As a dad who lives with the younger generation can I point out it works both ways!

One of the things I have learned is that I love living with my grandkids (and their parents!) but it works better when we all arent around all of the time.... so I am probably going to buy my own place (well they are going to buy my own place and they can keep the big house for now!). Not until we see what happens to prices and jobs though.... so maybe new year.

Last edited by isleaiw1; 06-01-2020 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 03:06 AM   #16
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Sorry to hear this. No chance of your employers lobbing you o furlough so that you at least benefit from that for a few more months? even if they only pay the cap, better than nowt. And if you dont ask you might not get...

We start consultation today for our restructure - will probably take out about 25% of the workforce, the joys of hospitality. We are planning (subject to legal feedback) extending everyones leave date to end Sept even if consultation and notice finishes before then....

good luck with the search. Most important thing is to keep positive and calm.... I know its not easy, I had 7 months off when my wife was ill, and by the time I went back we were at credit card limits and had no savings so getting a job was critical... but that has to not show in the interview!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 06:01 AM   #17
bishbosh
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Sorry to hear this. No chance of your employers lobbing you o furlough so that you at least benefit from that for a few more months? even if they only pay the cap, better than nowt. And if you dont ask you might not get...

We start consultation today for our restructure - will probably take out about 25% of the workforce, the joys of hospitality. We are planning (subject to legal feedback) extending everyones leave date to end Sept even if consultation and notice finishes before then....

good luck with the search. Most important thing is to keep positive and calm.... I know its not easy, I had 7 months off when my wife was ill, and by the time I went back we were at credit card limits and had no savings so getting a job was critical... but that has to not show in the interview!
My redundancy is unrelated to Covid - boss is retiring and winding up a still profitable company. Rather than letting the rest of the staff take over, he's giving the IP to a large multi-national. We all receive a pittance, in my case an extra £2k on top of statutory. I'm aware some people may only get statutory but this is for 19 years service. He'll walk away with about £1m.
      06-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #18
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
My redundancy is unrelated to Covid - boss is retiring and winding up a still profitable company. Rather than letting the rest of the staff take over, he's giving the IP to a large multi-national. We all receive a pittance, in my case an extra £2k on top of statutory. I'm aware some people may only get statutory but this is for 19 years service. He'll walk away with about £1m.
Madness. Not prepared to sell to management?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #19
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20MAW73 View Post
Sorry to hear that. Going to be lots of folk soon in the same unfortunate position.
I fear you're right and to be honest I'm not entirely sure the penny's dropped with some as to how bad the economic situation might look for the next couple of years. There still seem to be quite a few who think we'll bounce back almost as if nothing's happened and I really hope they're right - not convinced they are though....
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:04 AM   #20
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
You've been stitched, that's a derisory deal.

Onwards and upwards though, after 19 years this is a chance to jump into something new.

Choosing and securing a role is a skill in itself, especially if rusty after so long out of the market. Depending on role and industry, you might find it useful to talk to a guy that I spoke to - helped overhaul my CV and gave tips on how to apply and how to interview. PM me if you want details, it was money VERY well spent from my perspective.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:23 AM   #21
bishbosh
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Madness. Not prepared to sell to management?
He was at first, (we're a small company < 10 employees), but then he stormed out of his own meeting as he couldn't face a few questions he hadn't prepared for.

3 members of staff had since resigned and he couldn't care less even though one was a key member.

I looked up the definition of narcissist and he fits it entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
You've been stitched, that's a derisory deal.

Onwards and upwards though, after 19 years this is a chance to jump into something new.

Choosing and securing a role is a skill in itself, especially if rusty after so long out of the market. Depending on role and industry, you might find it useful to talk to a guy that I spoke to - helped overhaul my CV and gave tips on how to apply and how to interview. PM me if you want details, it was money VERY well spent from my perspective.
Yes, I know it's derisory, although any query/complaint would have seen it reduced to only statutory. I'll be glad when I never have to see his face again, and I'm sure it's what's causing me all this stress. I am actually looking forward to another position somewhere.
      06-01-2020, 09:31 AM   #22
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
He was at first, (we're a small company < 10 employees), but then he stormed out of his own meeting as he couldn't face a few questions he hadn't prepared for.

3 members of staff had since resigned and he couldn't care less even though one was a key member.

I looked up the definition of narcissist and he fits it entirely.

Yes, I know it's derisory, although any query/complaint would have seen it reduced to only statutory. I'll be glad when I never have to see his face again, and I'm sure it's what's causing me all this stress. I am actually looking forward to another position somewhere.
some just cant get their head around someone else playing with their toy and maybe improving it...

Good luck with the search - all I would say is, and it might not be popular, the jobs market in the south is so much more fruitful if you are prepared to relocate / do Mon to Fri away / whatever....

ETA @mashinbenzin clearly works in the financial sector, I have never had redundancy on more than statutory, the only plus point is salary in lieu of notice... and if I go in the latest round of cuts it will be stat plus notice period....
Appreciate 1
bishbosh851.00