Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Mission Performance | Flashing latest firmware over OBD | No ECU removal | S58

06-15-2020, 11:03 PM   #1
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Exclamation Mission Performance | Flashing latest firmware over OBD | No ECU removal | S58

This just dropped into my IG so figured I would share. I only know what was posted in IG but you better believe I'll be asking Alex when I see him on Thursday (I'm having him put a catted downpipe in for Me) for more details (hoping maybe this is good news for the B58 as well)
Attached Images

Last edited by chenry; 06-18-2020 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 11:34 PM   #2
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Interesting, I just talked to Alex last week (I think Thursday) and he said I would still have to send in my ECU because I just had the latest firmware downloaded a couple weeks ago at the dealer when I was in for my 10k service. I am hoping what you posted is true for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 03:54 AM   #3
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

I'll be following this closely. Let's hope the code has been cracked
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
raj914
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Please update us if it’s possible for M340i 😁 it’ll be an instant purchase upon confirmation
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj914 View Post
Please update us if it’s possible for M340i 😁 it’ll be an instant purchase upon confirmation
100% agreed.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 01:12 PM   #6
Dmejia91
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335 xdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
Quote:
100% agreed.
Hey mentioned in the comments there is no need to ship out dme when I asked. Just waiting on my Downpipe to purchase stage 2
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
Pizzaman77
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2020 M340i

Quote:
Interesting, I just talked to Alex last week (I think Thursday) and he said I would still have to send in my ECU because I just had the latest firmware downloaded a couple weeks ago at the dealer when I was in for my 10k service. I am hoping what you posted is true for our cars.
Quote:
Were you forced to have the new firmware downloaded?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:21 PM   #8
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Quote:
Please update us if it's possible for M340i 😁 it'll be an instant purchase upon confirmation
100% agreed.
Same

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #9
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

I've spoken with a reputable remapping shop today. They don't have to physically remove the ECU to unlock it - they have a method of unlocking by wiring up to the ECU which seems less intrusive.

Drawback is that if they flash me a new map and I subsequently visit the dealer for routine service - there's a high likelihood the dealer will update and flash back to std. Not ideal given the costs involved.

I also spoke with the guys at Bootmod3. My preferred option as I can flash at home and navigate around service intervals. They suggested buying the ODB2 cable, hooking up my laptop and showing them my software version. I'll know more on Thursday when the cable drops from Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #10
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don76 View Post
I've spoken with a reputable remapping shop today. They don't have to physically remove the ECU to unlock it - they have a method of unlocking by wiring up to the ECU which seems less intrusive.

Drawback is that if they flash me a new map and I subsequently visit the dealer for routine service - there's a high likelihood the dealer will update and flash back to std. Not ideal given the costs involved.

I also spoke with the guys at Bootmod3. My preferred option as I can flash at home and navigate around service intervals. They suggested buying the ODB2 cable, hooking up my laptop and showing them my software version. I'll know more on Thursday when the cable drops from Amazon.
I’ve hooked up my laptop to the car via OBD port already. BM3 says I have a software that requires ECU to be removed and bench unlocked by them. I believe Alex at MP said the same when I called him a couple weeks back. If anyone knows how to tune without ECU removal, please let me know. I’m not comfortable shipping my ECU anywhere. If I have to travel to a shop in my area, I’d rather do that.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:52 PM   #11
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’ve hooked up my laptop to the car via OBD port already. BM3 says I have a software that requires ECU to be removed and bench unlocked by them. I believe Alex at MP said the same when I called him a couple weeks back. If anyone knows how to tune without ECU removal, please let me know. I’m not comfortable shipping my ECU anywhere. If I have to travel to a shop in my area, I’d rather do that.
Kind of a dumb question but I haven’t hooked a computer to my car before. Can you tell me what cable to get and where you got it? I would like to get one to see if mine is locked.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:58 PM   #12
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:
Kind of a dumb question but I haven’t hooked a computer to my car before. Can you tell me what cable to get and where you got it? I would like to get one to see if mine is locked.
You buy an OBD to ENET cable. The ENET side goes into your laptop, and the OBD goes into the OBD port at the bottom by the hood release lever.

This is the one I use:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MECEI14...p_mob_ap_share
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 10:02 PM   #13
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You buy an OBD to ENET cable. The ENET side goes into your laptop, and the OBD goes into the OBD port at the bottom by the hood release lever.

This is the one I use:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MECEI14...p_mob_ap_share
Great, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 05:06 AM   #14
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

If its true that OBD flashing is now available again, shouldn't that be a pretty big announcement??? I don't understand these tuners sometimes...

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #15
iPetey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
chiming in as in a bit lost too

i'd like to know more. unfortunately i just went to the dealer and was updated. wish i knew better i would have avoided the update. now i can't find any clear cut information about which version number can be done ? i bought the mhd flasher off bms and it gets in saturday... :
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #16
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I suspect this is very good news for the S85 crowd and a step in the right direction for us (hopefully a solution) If it is still needed I'm going to at least ask him to demonstrate the easiest way to remove the DME in case it helps anyone
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #17
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPetey View Post

i'd like to know more. unfortunately i just went to the dealer and was updated. wish i knew better i would have avoided the update. now i can't find any clear cut information about which version number can be done ? i bought the mhd flasher off bms and it gets in saturday... :
You can specifically request your tech to not update your car when taking your car in for service. They can’t force you to update.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 01:25 PM   #18
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
I suspect this is very good news for the S85 crowd and a step in the right direction for us (hopefully a solution) If it is still needed I'm going to at least ask him to demonstrate the easiest way to remove the DME in case it helps anyone
If I had a video or clear-cut instructions on how to remove the ECU, I would definitely do so and ship to them so they can unlock my DME. Still though, I’d much rather a company release a solution that allows for tuning at home. I’d even pay more for the convenience.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 01:38 PM   #19
iPetey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

You can specifically request your tech to not update your car when taking your car in for service. They can’t force you to update.
Quote:
Quote:

You can specifically request your tech to not update your car when taking your car in for service. They can't force you to update.
yeah i didn't even think about compatibility at the time i had a flat, and needed service plus my jb4 connected. silly me but i know the tech and i didn't mention it. i'm not sure what my status js now maybe SOL and stuck on piggyback
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #20
Bmwguy1994
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp(15)/435xi MSport(16)

I believe this only applies for the X3m

My reasoning behind this is a direct comment and caption used on one of their most recent instagram post (this exact pic posted), where MP says "this is only for the X3m and applies to the 2020 March update"......This pic is also of an X3m check their instagram.

Ive been waiting very patiently for MP to solve this problem as i had my M340i since April 2019 but always had to do the updates bc many features were glitchy as i had one of the first production cars...these updates have made the car much better for me especially after the November update that fucked many of us.

As for the gentleman who opened up this thread i assumed you would have known better since you always seem to be MP #1 fan on these forums and are always chiming in on how great they are...Maybe you could speak to him and person and ask him whats up with the time line in breaking this latest software... i believe he surely can do it and idk if hes holding out so others dont copy or something along those lines....Im really not sure and would love to know whats the hold up..Thanks

Just for clarification MP is one of the best out here and are the first to crack many platforms in the past. Alex knows what he doing.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #21
raj914
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsaroopk View Post

My reasoning behind this is a direct comment and caption used on one of their most recent instagram post (this exact pic posted), where MP says "this is only for the X3m and applies to the 2020 March update"......This pic is also of an X3m check their instagram.

Ive been waiting very patiently for MP to solve this problem as i had my M340i since April 2019 but always had to do the updates bc many features were glitchy as i had one of the first production cars...these updates have made the car much better for me especially after the November update that fucked many of us.

As for the gentleman who opened up this thread i assumed you would have known better since you always seem to be MP #1 fan on these forums and are always chiming in on how great they are...Maybe you could speak to him and person and ask him whats up with the time line in breaking this latest software... i believe he surely can do it and idk if hes holding out so others dont copy or something along those lines....Im really not sure and would love to know whats the hold up..Thanks

Just for clarification MP is one of the best out here and are the first to crack many platforms in the past. Alex knows what he doing.
I agree; I believe he can do it. He’s just holding out so others don’t copy. Alex, if you’re reading this bro. Look out for me; I promise I won’t tell anyone if you can tune my remotely �� I’ll pay extra bro please ��
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #22
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsaroopk View Post

sorry there should be info under the picture i posted from IG stating that the car is an X3M - maybe it's not coming through on some screens (i know with the mobile app you have to click on it for it to expand) - apologies if i caused confusion (let me know if you can't see it on your end and i'll revise)

And yes I'm certainly going to broach the subject with Alex tomorrow when i see him and will be more than happy to share what he shares with me :-)

Thanks!

Chris (aka #1 MP Fan on these forums - haha)

Last edited by chenry; 06-18-2020 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: red highlights
Appreciate 2
Don76169.00