Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions M performance steering wheel on non m sport line?

06-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
EDMG20
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i M-Sport {THP}

M performance steering wheel on non m sport line?

Hello so I got a 2019 BMW 330i G20 with the sport line PKG (no paddles) I saw the M PERFORMANCE steering wheel and was interested in it as I wanted the paddles. I went to my BMW dealer to see if I could get the steering wheel they said yes it will fit but the paddles won’t work. So I asked if we could retro fit the paddles and the response was this “Paddles not available as a regularly offered retrofit but there is another process we can follow to inquire about the possibility. Essentially it will be a custom install that will incur costs (I think that last one we did was $250 just to ask) to have BMW Germany start it. From there we will know for sure whether it can be done along with the necessary parts, possible software, and labor.
Let me know if you will be ok with possible charges to ask?”

Has anyone heard about this at all? $250 dollars just to see if it will work?

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I think your problem is that the transmission is not the one designed to run with the paddle shifters. So your cost might be exhorbitant.

Anything can be done but the question is at what cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #3
EDMG20
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I think your problem is that the transmission is not the one designed to run with the paddle shifters. So your cost might be exhorbitant.

Anything can be done but the question is at what cost.
Yes that could be true but online it says “sport transmission” and “sport transmission with paddles” I’m assuming it is just like an F30 retrofit but idk
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

We've already bee through this with another member. You optioned the Sport Line package (which isn't even a real package if you try to configure online). However the dealers are able to configure this, and basically you get all the goodies of the M Sport Package (sport bumpers, M Sport steering wheel and seats, and other options that come with that package) but it also pairs it with the regular 8 spd automatic without paddles. Seems stupid but it is what it is.
      06-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
EDMG20
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
We've already bee through this with another member. You optioned the Sport Line package (which isn't even a real package if you try to configure online). However the dealers are able to configure this, and basically you get all the goodies of the M Sport Package (sport bumpers, M Sport steering wheel and seats, and other options that come with that package) but it also pairs it with the regular 8 spd automatic without paddles. Seems stupid but it is what it is.
Wrong. I don’t have an m sport anything. No bumper no nothing. Just the regular “sport line”. With the sport line you can option the same BASE steering wheel with and without paddles. So I’m just wondering why they would need to make a special order
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #6
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by naderabouhassan@gmail.com View Post
Wrong. I don’t have an m sport anything. No bumper no nothing. Just the regular “sport line”. With the sport line you can option the same BASE steering wheel with and without paddles. So I’m just wondering why they would need to make a special order
Sorry I thought you said m sport line package...anyways, I'm assuming they need to Maker a special order because not many people option it this way. If you don't get the M Sport Package, most people are just going to opt for the regular steering wheel not the M steering wheel. You're trying to create a very custom build
      06-17-2020, 03:34 AM   #7
moonboy
Enlisted Member
Solomon Islands
Rep
Drives: cartt

This heavily depends on country. Here in eastern Europe you get paddles if you opt for "sport transmission" which is separate (200 Euro) option during engine selection, like 330i default or 330i sport transmission. "Sport line" is optional payed package (3500 Euro, PDC, ambient light, sport seats in sensatec/textile combo, automatic air conditioning, LED fog, different front bumper, interior trims, 17",..) as "M sport", but in USA "sport line" contents are default/stock.
I have the default (non-M) steering wheel with paddles (also gives launch control and "Sport Plus" transmission mode), so you don't technically need M steering wheel for paddles, but it all depends on specific market and how the offers are tied together.

Last edited by moonboy; 06-17-2020 at 03:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 04:33 AM   #8
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

You're in canada so I think the paddles are not standard on the "sport" version. I think all the US market cars have paddles including sport line, so thats probably what some of the confused replies are (F30 cars.... paddles pre LCI at least were definitely a $500 sport automatic option).

If you don't have the sport automatic transmission option (which again in the US is standard) I would guess the paddles might not be designed for it.... I'm not sure I'd pay even $250 for that personally (I actually had an F30 and bought a car that had them thinking i'd want them and I will tell you I probably used those paddles under 10 times over 4 years total, I have maybe used them once or twice on my G20 so I'm not sure spending $250 just to try is worth it , but thats a personal thing)
Appreciate 0