Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Windscreen chip

06-19-2020, 04:09 AM   #1
westozy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Windscreen chip

Got a windscreen chip the size of a 50 cent piece the other day.

It's behind the inside rear view mirror so it can't be seen by the driver so not an annoyance but am wondering if it is a size that warrants looking into?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 04:49 AM   #2
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-adv...20unroadworthy.

Sounds unroadworthy according to above.

Do you have windscreen insurance?? Last I looked, windscreen replacements are very expensive... ie. ~$2000. Interested in others opinions.

But basically the sensors and the coating for the HUD add significantly to the cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
westozy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-adv...20unroadworthy.

Sounds unroadworthy according to above.

Do you have windscreen insurance?? Last I looked, windscreen replacements are very expensive... ie. ~$2000. Interested in others opinions.

But basically the sensors and the coating for the HUD add significantly to the cost.
thanks for that. seems they are pretty tough on road worthiness in the eastern states!!

have insurance but not keen on changing the screen when the car has done less than 8000 km. am thinking there is a big difference in finish between a factory inserted screen compared to a manually fitted one.

the main issue is, being that the chip is the size of a round 50 cent piece, will there be any subliminal erosion to the coatings effecting the rest of the screen?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:35 PM   #4
GTR33R
Private
Rep
Drives: M340iXdrive

In NSW your screen should still be legal , if the chip was in the drivers half of the screen then it is not legal but can be resin repaired. If repaired well it is hard to see the repair.
If I was you I wouldn't want to replace my screen on a fairly new car either, they use wire to cut the sikaflex and if not careful the paint can be scratched where the sika is . You don't see the paint scratch as it is covered but can promote rust . A good installer will clean all the sika, prime the metal and then apply a bead of sika of equal thickness all the way around.
You have to check with your local RTA, a private inspection station or windscreen repairer if legal in your state.

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents...si-03-rev3.pdf

That's for NSW .
Appreciate 0