E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Crimson Red Paint Stain

09-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
SharkPhi
Contract Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X5

Crimson Red Paint Stain

Ok, so I have been driving my new 335i for about two weeks now, and I walked out this morning (before 9 am and hot sun) to a couple of bird droppings on the hood. I immediately cleaned them off, and when I got to school I noticed that they had stained the clearcoat?!?!?!

I tried to polish it out at lunch, but to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem? Or tried to get it remedied by the dealer?
      09-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
nardoM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Nardo M4 ZCP

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
omg same thing happened to me yesterday. i did a google search and found this: http://guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=15

i tried it and it did take most of it off, but i still see a faint outline. Any other suggestions for both the OP and I? Thanks

IG: nardo.f82
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Inzane
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335i

This is what I would try (in this order):
1) remove birdbomb with a detailing spray & microfiber
2) use a claybar on the affected area
3) use a chemical cleaner/polish (as opposed to an abrasive paint cleaner/polish), such as Klasse All-In-One, or Meguiar's MPP (Medallion Paint Protection, if you can still find it), etc.

proceed to step 4 if you still don't have the result you want
4) polish the paint with something containing abrasives (eg. Meguiar's #83 DACP, or similar).
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
Speed_Addict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 335i Coupe

Same thing happend to my Crimson 335i coupe during my Euro Delivery trip while visiting Rothenberg It was only on the car for 1 to two hours in the early morning but the bird bomb did its worst.

In my case, it was severe enough that it took wet sanding with 3000 wet paper to remove most of the etched edge around the acid burn followed by some Quixx cutting compound and Quixx polish. I then clayed it, and waxed with a cleaner wax and then applied a few coats of the Meguires NXT 2.0 syn wax. I was able to get it smoothed out and now it just looks like a few almost inperceptible ripples in the paint under super strong paint booth type lighting conditions. I did not want to try and make it perfect as there is only 2 - 3 mils of clear to work with and you don't want to work your way throught the clear by all means.

I did mine by hand and it took careful hours to complete. If I were to do it again, I would take it to a professional detailer - someone with a good paint depth measuring tool so you don't have to sweat breaking through the clear coat or removing anymore of it than necessary to achieve an acceptable repair.

This happened on my hood - since then the car has recieved a full ventureshield clear bra (complete nose, full hood and full front fenders). This paint is so soft it scares me - I have never seen paint etched so deeply before by bird bombs as mine was. I know carry a kit of distilled water with baking soda disolve in it to neutralize the acid in the bird bomb, detail spray, and MF towels to clean up with in the event I get hit again.

Last edited by Speed_Addict; 09-24-2008 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: wanted to add content.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Hold off on the sandpaper! Do a search and you will find that this topic has been covered. Look in the wash thread as there are a few detailers that you can pm or the answer lies there. Sanding is just extreme in my OP. Have you invested in a good buffer and cleaners?
      09-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
nardoM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Nardo M4 ZCP

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
i just tried to removed the rest of the residue on my cars paint. Try this, used meguire scratch removed. do this a couple of times. then use a abrasive polish ( i used zaino zpc). do this a couple of this also. Afterwards use a car polish ( i used zaino z5 and z2). Now all the residue are gone from the paint.

IG: nardo.f82
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
Speed_Addict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red 335i Coupe

In my case I would have stayed away from the paper but mine was like a crater rim around the edge of ground zero - you could feel it with your finger nail. I believe the bird that hit my car must have been hitting the hard stuff and had one hell of a case of acid indigestion .

I tried ScratchX and several other polishing componds but made no headway. Using a power buffer/orbital would have helped and if I had handy at the time for certain I would have employed it. In my case I was just afraid that if I tried to level the edges I would continue to reduce what was left the clear coat in the center of the bird bomb paint craters. Mine was especially bad - so in gerneral, I would say yes, stay away from the paper - it is a last resort I am sure if it is just a stain or looks like a water spot then the techniques noted above are the way to go

Too bad I did not notice how bad it was before I shipped the car back from ED - I may have been able to have the clear fixed under ED insurance - but then again maybe not as it could have been rejected as normal wear and tear...
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
zaxjax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 Crimson Red 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
This is what I would try (in this order):
1) remove birdbomb with a detailing spray & microfiber
2) use a claybar on the affected area
3) use a chemical cleaner/polish (as opposed to an abrasive paint cleaner/polish), such as Klasse All-In-One, or Meguiar's MPP (Medallion Paint Protection, if you can still find it), etc.

proceed to step 4 if you still don't have the result you want
4) polish the paint with something containing abrasives (eg. Meguiar's #83 DACP, or similar).
This is hit the nail on the head! Don't even bother with a dealer on paint issues or detailing.
Appreciate 0